Status
Not open for further replies.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Regarding the USB thing

I'm now on SMART mode. When I plug a thumbdrive in there's no USB word appearing. However, when I toggle it to ALWAYS ON mode the USB word appears and when I switch back to SMART mode again then the USB word remains there. Opposite of what @Telos is getting in post #875

Even when I opens a file from the thumbdrive when in SMART mode initially the USB word doesn't appear

A bug?

In my case, I had no USB device connected. I did have a Truecrypt drive mounted if that matters.

And again... I had to re-register today.

EDIT1: Duplicated what HarborFront reported using a real thumb drive.

a. In SMART MODE, inserting thumbdrive, no "USB" appears on the shield.
b. Switch to ALWAYS ON and "USB" appears
c. Switch back to SMART MODE and "USB" remains present
d. Ejecting thumb drive while in SMART MODE, "USB" remains
e. Switching to ALWAYS ON and "USB" still appears
f. Switching to AUTOPILOT and back to EITHER SMART MODE or ALWAYS ON and "USB" remains present.

Last edited:

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
When uninstalling VS v. 4.0.x there is a message at the end of the uninstallation process that some elements could not be removed and to remove them manually. What are these elements and where can one find them in order to remove them?
Probably registry entries.

If one uninstalls with Revo Uninstaller, it will run VS' own uninstall, then scan for registry entries and allow them to be removed, (similarly any related folders not already removed by the uninstaller).

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Probably registry entries.

If one uninstalls with Revo Uninstaller, it will run VS' own uninstall, then scan for registry entries and allow them to be removed, (similarly any related folders not already removed by the uninstaller).
Is that the free or paid version of Revo Uninstaller?

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Wow, I have a lot to catch up on here, sorry, I have been trying to figure out our server situation, because our old server cannot even handle all of the beta users, let alone when we release VS 4.0 to the public. I hope to have this figured out soon and hope to be able to catch up soon as well. Have a great weekend!

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Every time I launch 7zip (64-bit) I have to ALLOW (also create rule) it. It's in the whitelist but disregarded. Also, it's notification pop-up is unresponsive for several seconds.

Originally it was whitelisted by Snapshot. I deleted that and manually ALLOWed and it went to the whitelist to no good effect. Next time I BLOCKed it and went into the User Log and Add to Whitelist. That didn't help either.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This reminds me of the problem that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Powerpro is in the Whitelist but it's still blocked by VS. Even if I delete it from the Whitelist the problem continues.
Do you have the cloud sync enabled, that could be one issue. You may have to create an explicit Allow rule till he can get it added in there ?

P

plat1098

Re: USB showing (or not) in the gadget: exactly the same as @Telos and @HarborFront . Little snip here is with USB having been removed already. Release version 3.59 by the way. Also "USB" is displayed just like that re: snip. Not very legible, right? Wonder if it's my machine?

VS USB.PNG

Edit: looked at gadget on main computer, the "USB" is illegible also. Maybe just a cosmetic thing but....

Last edited by a moderator:

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Ya the USB thing is screwed up on my machine too. If I plug my phone into the USB port with Internet Explorer open, the shield never shows USB. If I shut IE the shield is still showing on but no USB. If I plug my phone in with no browser open, the shield shows USB like it should.

gorblimey

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
the USB thing is screwed up on

I think you'll find USB is sort of screwed up on any M$ platform. I have a Shintaro multi-card on my box, USB connected, but Windows reports all the card slots as HDD and not as USB. Certainly VS never sees any Shintaro slot as a USB, but this does appear to be a Microsoft bug, beyond any mortal's fixing.

Windows always shows any phone as a HDD as well.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I think you'll find USB is sort of screwed up on any M$ platform. I have a Shintaro multi-card on my box, USB connected, but Windows reports all the card slots as HDD and not as USB. Certainly VS never sees any Shintaro slot as a USB, but this does appear to be a Microsoft bug, beyond any mortal's fixing.

Windows always shows any phone as a HDD as well.
Agreed, and in the past on some Intel boards remember the disappearing CD/DVD drive that would often be re-listed as something weird.

R

Raka Daku

It seems the new rules thingy is not working. I tried few ruleset & VS didn't worked as per it.
Anyone tried custom or own ruleset?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
It seems the new rules thingy is not working. I tried few ruleset & VS didn't worked as per it.
It would be helpful to share rules that don't work so others can comment on the rule logic, etc. before saying VS is at fault. I'm sure this would help Dan as well. He can't do much with a comment like "I made a rule but it didn't work".

Reactions: madirish
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.