Status
Not open for further replies.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Just tried a clean install of V4.08b on my Win7 32bit laptop and it fails to install. Only other security software running is Comodo Firewall V10. Did not have this problem with V3.59. Have emailed Dan with a copy of the Dev log.

Anyone else having problems installing V4.08b?

4.07b was running ok for me, installed 4.08b over it and VS crashes when I connect my vpn. Sent PM to Dan...

gorblimey

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
Clean install of 408 last night, no mechanical problems :)

But this is far stricter than 359. It distrusts everything! OTOH, I was running 359 on Auto-pilot so the other family members won't get annoyed*** so I never saw much under the front wheels. 408 did ping a couple of Intel apps, one wanted to run a .vbs because I have disabled the Service, not a bad thing as I really don't need Intel collecting fault data from such an old CPU. (I've now used Autoruns to prevent those suites ever running, so that problem is now solvered.)

*** I'm with @ForgottenSeer 58943 here, the family is quite intolerant of "security" (or any other) alerts, it would seem I'm not doing my job and would I like to get my #^%&?

So I'm still running on Auto-pilot, as we don't yet have per-user settings. I do have to say VS has very good front suspension, I don't feel a thing when the Auto-pilot runs over suspects :oops::whistle:

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Unable to check any file by right click VS icon on windows explorer.
VS.PNG
Note internet connection works fine.
EDIT:
It looks like it was a momentary glitch:alien:. Right click scan seems to work fine now. No more warnings about no internet connection. Fingers crossed...

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Dan, sent an email to support re 4.08b & my vpn with logs in 7z file and email bounced back as
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 5.7.1 Rejected: Phish or Virus detected
weird, I'm no expert but that is looking like my email server bounced it? WTF. :sick: simple text with 7z attachment, not encrypted. Or did it bounce from your end? :unsure::confused: unlikely there's a virus on my win7, or is it now bad form to send 7z attachment? :confused::confused:

EDIT: 4.08b is fixed with my vpn. something got crosswise snafu'd and borked, but might not have been caused by 4.08b. And email issued was traced back to the outgoing email server, a snafu on their end, AND all seems good with 4.08b.

Last edited:
Reactions: VecchioScarpone

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
1 Sometimes when I click on "save settings", it gets stuck, and freezes the whole computer for a couple minutes. I can't even open task manager in order to kill the process.

2 Dan, please explain what is the difference between the following, and simply unticking the corresponding settings on the Basic tab, which works pretty painlessly:
When I switched to custom folders, and ticked certain folders that are normally unticked, such as program files folder, or system32, VS started throwing prompts for certain files that are already whitelisted, and it complains that it does not have the ability to read them, even though they are simple exe files.
Allowing them does not put them on the whitelist, snapshot doesn't help, and making a rule after blocking them doesn't help, either. The funny thing is that VS did this even for certain files that are in locations that I did not change the settings for.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you untick "automatically allow... Program Files folders", it makes programs launch really slow. VS must be scanning the program every time it launches. That's really not necessary. Program should be scanned the first time it launches, and then whitelisted.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I did a fresh install of Win 7 hp 64bit, updated it and then installed 4.08b and nothing else. Put it through several shut downs and restarts but still have the same issues. If someone who knows what their doing would care to remotely troubleshoot this you would be my welcomed guest.

Here are the logs:

Attachments

• DeveloperLog.log
    21.4 KB · Views: 361
  • DeveloperServiceLog.log
    6.1 KB · Views: 400

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I have isolated the 32bit bug, and the fix will be included in 4.09. This bug was recently introduced when I asked VS to locate the Program Files folders on the system. Basically, when running a 32bit OS, when VS looks for the Program Files(x86) folder, since it does not exist, VS crashes. It is an easy fix... I just have to check if the OS is 32bit or 64 bit, and if it is 32bit, then have it ignore the (x86) folder. So for now, VS 4.08 will not run on 32bit systems.

There appears to be a couple of other bugs that you guys have found (thank you for finding and posting them), and I should have these worked out in a couple of days, possibly sooner.

Thank you guys for all of your help, talk to you soon!

gorblimey

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
A small UI glitch... Well, I hope it's only a glitch...
MissingBits.png
Underneath the Transparency slider, "Automatically position the"... what? exactly?

Also, I mentioned above
this is far stricter than 359. It distrusts everything!
There is a significant delay in starting all programs. I have no Rules set, using VS in the same way as previous versions, except that Basic Settings are all ticked apart from "Automatically allow from Program Files folders". So VS is possibly being a bit over-zealous? Everything I normally use should be whitelisted twice by now, once by Snapshot and also by User/Auto Allowed.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
There is a significant delay in starting all programs. I have no Rules set, using VS in the same way as previous versions, except that Basic Settings are all ticked apart from "Automatically allow from Program Files folders". So VS is possibly being a bit over-zealous? Everything I normally use should be whitelisted twice by now, once by Snapshot and also by User/Auto Allowed.
I saw the exact same behavior when I unticked "Automatically allow from Program Files folders". There is a bug there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.