VoodooShield discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

madirish

Level 1
Sep 13, 2017
I don't have a problem with re-registering on reboot.My token file is in .temp folder,moved token file into VS folder in AppData,rebooted and had to re-register again.Now have token file in .temp folder and in VS AppData folder.Can't VS be programmed to store token file in VS folder in AppData?Using latest beta.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Dan, I can confirm that after registration and befor CCleaner'ing there are two voodooshield-token.json entries. One in programdata, and another in c:\users\xxxx\\appdata\local\temp\
I understood that the token in the temp folder was moved to ProgramData. But it appears it was only copied there, and the VS still relies on the temp folder token. :confused:

I moved the token to c:\programdata\voodooshield, so that should no longer be an issue.
Hmmmm...

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
The old registering problem was cleaning programs deleting the token file and that is why it was moved.
Gandalf are you having the registration problem? If so it may still be a time zone issue then.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The old registering problem was cleaning programs deleting the token file and that is why it was moved.
Gandalf are you having the registration problem? If so it may still be a time zone issue then.
Yes I also have the registration problem.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
And you use CCleaner set to default? If so it is not a cleaning program problem. If I rememeber right all your issues were related to your time zone.
No I don't use the defaults for CCleaner. With my settings CCleaner deletes the token file in the temp directory.
I've set an exception so that doesn't happen anymore.
The other issues were not related to my timezone but to my region settings. region settings.JPG
In Europe we use the . and , the other way around.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Yes, BUT the token file wasn't actually moved from the temp folder (and it is still used), but a second token file was added to ProgramData (at least on this Win8.1x64 machine). Now there are 2 token files.

It's easy to confirm.
  1. Exit VS
  2. Rename the token file in the temp folder.
  3. Start VS (registration window appears).
  4. Exit VS before registering and restore token file name as it was.
  5. Start VS (VS starts in registered state).

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Deleted manually the token from c:\users\xxxx\\appdata\local\temp\. After running CCleaner I restarted the computer VS vorked fine.
Correct me if I'm wrong, as VS started without the token in \appdata\local\temp\, the re- registrations issue I have most morning, should have nothing to do with CCleaner.

Note: when I run CCleaner, before manual deleting, it did not delete the token file on appdata\local\temp\.
Others may have others settings.

Last edited:

gorblimey

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
I found the token in Admin\Appdata, not in Program Data. I had "clean" installed 4.09 from 3.59 in Admin, but never checked in some locations--I had assumed the uninstall (again from Admin) would find all the repositories and remove those as well. The new install wanted me to revalidate my registration, but that was OK except we must be able to move the registration dialog out of the way.

So after I found the Registration problem, I went hunting. It seems I deleted the token immediately prior to upgrading VS as part of a spring clean... I have copied the token to Program Data to keep it safe. IMHO any temp folder is never a good place to put documentation. Temp folders are a prime target for any cleaning regime, especially mine :geek:. You should hear the screams from the minions after I've been through the data volumes :LOL:.

Reactions: lowdetection

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
I have copied the token to Program Data to keep it safe.
Just copied the token to Program Data. Let's see how it goes.

Just in case anybody wonder how I copied the token file if I did previously manually deleted.
I restarted the computer once more and this time was requested for registration. After the re-registration the token file was installed on appdata temp again.

Last edited:

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Here how it did go:
After cold start there it was Registration please...
After registration token file installed in appdata\temp.
Removed the previous file moved to Program Data, no need for a duplicate.
From my errors and trials I deduct that CCleaner as nothing to do with this issue.
Rest my case.
Have a nice weekend folks.:)

Last edited:

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Happy to know that VecchioScarpone solved :)
I wish I did. If correct I just excluded CCleaner from the list of possible conflicting apps.
Let's see how things turn up by leaving CCleaner doing its job and VS doing its.
Playing around with the token file did not get me anywhere, I suspect I'll be politely asked to re-register again at some point.
Hopefully Dan is close to solve the issue.

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
The main thing I noticed in my case, is that the shield diseappear, and go top left, instead that down right.

What is the main reason the shield go away without me touching any setting?

Last edited:

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Next time I get the registration request I may try what you suggest.
The reason why I haven't try that is:
Irrespective of the token.json file being in appdata\temp, or it being deleted, or being moved to Program Folder. Vs seems to keep randomly, not always, asking for registration.
But hey I have done 30, as well doing 31...
Probably tomorrow or earlier if I restart the computer today and get asked for registration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.