VoodooShield discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD1

Level 5
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Sorry to jump in here but can anyone give me a steer on what configuration would be best to have within the custom folders section and why it would be necessary to enable it. Many thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Ink

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I'm discussing with a AV vendor about VS and he is stating that VS is not discrete in terms of privacy as his AV since VS checks files, in his opinion many, on VT that belongs to Google.
I already said that as far as I know VS does not upload files but hash/sha...He still sees privacy concerns.
I think that worst case VT might see the the user IP address unless Vs shields this, e.g. by sending the query through its servers.

What do you think?

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I'm discussing with a AV vendor about VS and he is stating that VS is not discrete in terms of privacy as his AV since VS checks files, in his opinion many, on VT that belongs to Google.
I already said that as far as I know VS does not upload files but hash/sha...He still sees privacy concerns.
I think that worst case VT might see the the user IP address unless Vs shields this, e.g. by sending the query through its servers.

What do you think?
As far as I know VS is not transmitting any sensitive data so there should be no privacy concerns regarding VS but I think that we should ask dev.
I have already send him an email.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
As far as I know VS is not transmitting any sensitive data so there should be no privacy concerns regarding VS but I think that we should ask dev.
I have already send him an email.
Thanks, I doubt Dan is allowing any type of identifying, or sensitive info, collection.
But for the "hard to convince" it will be good to see it in writing.
Thanks Pablozi

erreale

Level 9
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
I honestly do not think about the privacy issues with VS. It seems a waste of time. I'd like to see how it behaves that anonymous AV vendor ... You Should Practice what you preach

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
It's Emsisoft.
They say they upload files to VT so they could get infos about you, about the progras you use.
Yesterday I downloaded the new Virtual box and VT alerted me the file is too big to be sent to VT.
I thought VS would just upload Sha of files....And if VS doesn't hide the IP VT could create a database of sent files.
I stated I don't see this as a problem nor as a private concern but Fabian does not agree.

erreale

Level 9
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
It's Emsisoft.
They say they upload files to VT so they could get infos about you, about the progras you use.
Yesterday I downloaded the new Virtual box and VT alerted me the file is too big to be sent to VT.
I thought VS would just upload Sha of files....And if VS doesn't hide the IP VT could create a database of sent files.
I stated I don't see this as a problem nor as a private concern but Fabian does not agree.

Privacy issues that I care are quite different and not if my IP is transmitted over the network. This could be a problem in the case of a static IP, but with dynamic IP doesn't seem like a big deal. A privacy issue might have VT who collects the IP received.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
It's Emsisoft.
Fabian should keep his opinions to himself and stick to "facts", not fiction.
I like EmsiSoft a lot, but Fabian needs to worry about his product and let Dan do his thing.
Thanks Spawn for cleaning up my suggestive language ;)

Last edited:

Wingman

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 6, 2017
I think it might actually upload some data if not possibly known to VT as I *think* I saw the "file too large " message (This is only an assumption as I do not remember the exact error message so please do not treat this message as "VS does upload data etc")

Last edited:
Reactions: Solarquest

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
All started because I suggested Emsi to adds VS.
Imagine Emsi +VS...a fortress...;)..But Fabian didn't like the idea....
They run together just fine, I have run them as a duo often. So the suggestion was not
necessary in the first place, nor was sharing his opinion he shared with you on VS here ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: j9ksf

Gdant

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2014
no doubt, voodooshield is best in its work but do we really need it to bundled with another antivirus which has world class best behaviour blocker (yes, Emsisoft)?
All you need to do is to be just more careful and aware of what you are doing and executing on your PC and yes if you do, then Emsisoft is there to analyse it and for any suspicious file, VirusTotal web service is also there to check program before executing. With more programs running in realtime makes system resources wasted.
Can someone give me more details if I am missing or under-estimating the black world out there? Open to all suggestion for why I need any program with good AV?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Changes Dan has noted for v3.54
3.54 Changelog

1> Boot time protection… VS will start in Always ON mode, then toggle to your previous mode after 10 seconds. If we need to make this longer, please let me know.

2> Gui starts much quicker and with the service

3> Switch User / Multiple users issues should be fixed

4> Self-Protection

About the self-protection

I looked into several different methods for self-protection, and found that they all had at least one issue or another, and all could be bypassed, so I tried to do something else instead… here is what I did.

In the highly unlikely event that malware tries to specifically target VS to kill or bypass it, the VoodooShieldService will kick in and completely lockdown the system, and block all new process creation until the computer is restarted… the user is notified of this as well. Basically, if malware is trying to disable your security software, there is no reason to take a chance to see if it is able to do so… so why not just lock the whole system down until reboot, just to be sure? That is… let’s say that your self-protection fails, and you have to restart your security software… well, that might give the malware a chance to do its thing.
Keep in mind, VS will protect itself 99.99% of the time by blocking processes and scripts before they are ever allowed to start. It is only very special targeted attacks, like the one Adam created, where an already allowed processes that is running as a network service asked VS to exit.

If VS continues to grow as it is, then I would guess in a year or two, malware authors might start to target VS. But once they realize that the second they start messing with VS, it simply locks the entire system down until it is rebooted, so hopefully this in and of itself will be a deterent. END

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
All started because I suggested Emsi to adds VS.
Imagine Emsi +VS...a fortress...;)..But Fabian didn't like the idea....
It makes no sense for Emsisoft to buy and combine VS. VS has limited use when using Emsisoft and their whole protection mindset it is completely different. Emsisoft wants everything to run as long as it doesn't do anything malicious while VS wants everything to get blocked pre-execution.
It's a totally different philosophy so even if adding VS was free for them they probably wouldn't do it.

D

Deleted member 178

Can someone give me more details if I am missing or under-estimating the black world out there? Open to all suggestion for why I need any program with good AV?
You are in a security forum where paranoia is the air we breath :D
Look; in some forums, when i mention that people can stay safe just by using Windows native security and safe habits, i get attacked by some paranoids FUD-dealers.

Gdant

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2014
You are in a security forum where paranoia is the air we breath :D
Look; in some forums, when i mention that people can stay safe just by using Windows native security and safe habits, i get attacked by some paranoids FUD-dealers.
yeah, but even for paranoid, AV with good protection is enough.. I have seen that for some recent threats, it is not detected by any AV, secondary scanner and by VT so in this case with such huge protection, we are not safe.

Haha, I understand that. But logically, we can use more ourselves (human resource) for being more safe rather than depending on some machine resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.