VoodooShield Latest

Alexhousek

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2017
Good god, I agree.. I'd often whitelist in VS and presto, a couple days later it was nagging again. I kind of feel like I should run VS, I love the interface, options, configuration and some areas where it excels IMO. Hopefully Dan can get v4 nailed out so it's not a total pita.

Almost everyone I have talked to has dropped VS for OSArmor..:unsure:

I for one continue to use VS. I like it a lot. I have never found it chatty at all. In addition, Dan is very responsive to feedback and issues that pop up. For example, 4.2 came out yesterday, there were reports of some issues, and the new version 4.20b was out today. I trust him and his product.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Good god, I agree.. I'd often whitelist in VS and presto, a couple days later it was nagging again. I kind of feel like I should run VS, I love the interface, options, configuration and some areas where it excels IMO. Hopefully Dan can get v4 nailed out so it's not a total pita.

Almost everyone I have talked to has dropped VS for OSArmor..:unsure:
Dan reduced the performance hit in v4 and you can now create rules, tho it still has a few too much popups sometimes.
I kinda like getting feedback from my security suites that it's doing something, that's why I like GData's firewall notifications about scanning modified executables.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I am not sure what chatty means either. when vs scans a file it has to connect to VT. Who else has given two years free for helping test? not many. plus I just noticed I was given another year free. VS does not block anymore then appguard. as far as the rules in VS, I am not sure how many are using that feature. it seems a bit confusing to me.

D

Deleted member 65228

From everything I've read (only here at MT) their not the same animal, they cover different bases. Is this right?
VoodooShield is anti-executable whereas NVT OSArmor focus is on prevention of malicious activity. However they both do their job through process interception, so NVT OSArmor doesn't work like a typical security software's BB component will operate (not saying its a bad thing, so far so good actually).

Both VoodooShield and NVT OSArmor can be good for protecting your system however it depends on your needs/requirements and effort. For example, will you bother to properly respond to alerts in VoodooShield or investigate if OSArmor has a false positive?

To answer your question in short though, yes, they have different goals.

Apparently there is no issue with using both so you could even give that a go if you wanted to.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
From everything I've read (only here at MT) their not the same animal, they cover different bases. Is this right?
VS has VT to give you results from all engines, has a sandbox system you can run your not-so-sure samples and has an AI that can show a lot of false positives.
OSArmor focuses on blocking things entirely.

as @Opcode said, it's a matter of : are you going to go to the extra length to confirm the VS popups.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
VoodooShield is anti-executable whereas NVT OSArmor focus is on prevention of malicious activity. However they both do their job through process interception, so NVT OSArmor doesn't work like a typical security software's BB component will operate (not saying its a bad thing, so far so good actually).

Both VoodooShield and NVT OSArmor can be good for protecting your system however it depends on your needs/requirements and effort. For example, will you bother to properly respond to alerts in VoodooShield or investigate if OSArmor has a false positive?

To answer your question in short though, yes, they have different goals.

Apparently there is no issue with using both so you could even give that a go if you wanted to.
Thanks for your response Opcode, simple and well explained. I recently upgraded to Win 10 and with it having Defender built-in I'm trying to keep my system as lite as possible so just one of them for now and I am more comfortable with the one I know, VoodooShield, although the NVT team seem to be on fire lately, enjoying watching their progress.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Some users got a little frustrated with chronic issues in voodooshield that never seem to get conclusively fixed, so they jumped on the OSA bandwagon, which offers a lot of advanced protection and seems to have less issues. There are ups and downs to both products.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
popups like these sometimes makes me wonder if I should switch
N1VGc5.png

AI safe, Signed, no VT hit.
Recommended: block

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Probably a couple weeks per Dan and yes, a definite improvement in performance in the last two versions.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB007

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.