Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
From Dan, VoodooShield Dev, 4/5/18

Source, VoodooShield v4 STABLE Thread

ML/Ai will always have some false positives, although they are extremely uncommon for commonly downloaded files (at lease for VoodooAi they are). Someone once said that VoodooAi would not do so well with the top 100 files from a major download site. If they would have tested instead of speculated, they would have found that it does extremely well .

Here is the Cuckoo analysis of that file: http://voodooshield.ddns.net:8080/analysis/12417/

So that file certainly has a lot of characteristics and features of a malicious file, even though it is not. The funny thing is that I cannot tell you exactly what triggered our Ai algos to believe it was malicious. I could get an idea of what features triggered the false positive, but there is simply no way the human mind will ever be able to understand all of the extremely complex interconnected relationships between features in an Ai model.

Just for the heck of it, I digitally signed the file and reanalyzed the file with VoodooAi, and the result was 17/100 (Safe). Sometimes just signing the file makes all of the difference in the world, and sometimes it makes hardly no difference at all. It all depends on the complex relationships between features in the Ai model.

ML/Ai engines will always have false positives and false negatives. In real world performance, it is essentially mathematically impossible to achieve anything greater than a 95% or so efficacy with ML/Ai models alone. If we were able to achieve an efficacy that approached 100%, we would not need to lock our computers when they are at risk .

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
From Dan at VoodooShield, 4/6/18

Hey Everyone… here is 4.26! It looks like the major changes in 4.25 worked out pretty well, so we are good to go. There are no major changes in 4.26, just a couple of small bug fixes, some usability tweaks, and even less command lines should be blocked now.

This will probably be the last version for at least a few weeks, simply because it looks like pretty much all of the bugs are finally worked out… thank you guys for your patients and help while working with me through all of that.

We will release it publicly in a couple of days, assuming there is not a major bug.

www.voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield426.exe

SHA256: 204de3fbee5a628a9fa5f9029f29dc475c6ec34d2ca6067dc485cb74bb9b446b

Thank you guys, have a great weekend!!!

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Poster from COU posted
"
Ok try this:

Without any browser open, plug in your smart phone to the USB port to charge. The desktop icon will turn blue with USB on it.
Now open Edge and unplug the USB cord. The USB will go away. Now plug the USB cable back in a on my machine the USB never comes back.

Step 2: Now shut down Edge and wait a few min. The desktop icon remains blue with no USB. Now unplug the USB and it should go to off. Now plug the USB back in and you will see blue with USB again.
I am just wondering if this is just my machine or other see this too."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JB007 and vtqhtr413
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Funny thing. I did a refresh on my sons PC and put OSArmor on, forgetting I had VoodooShield on it.

A couple days later he said "Dad, I want the Voodoo back on my computer, why'd you remove it?".. I asked why he liked it, and he said he liked the 'awareness' it gave him. He liked liked VoodooAi bars showing him the risk as he installed stuff. He found OSArmor 'boring' because it just blocked stuff and the whitelist didn't work well for him. (no offense to OSArmor, it works nicely)

I just thought it was hilarious. Usually this kid isn't too security aware, but after the Russian's hacked his phone and Origin account, he's really ramped things up and wants more awareness. 'the voodoo thing' :D

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Funny thing. I did a refresh on my sons PC and put OSArmor on, forgetting I had VoodooShield on it.

A couple days later he said "Dad, I want the Voodoo back on my computer, why'd you remove it?".. I asked why he liked it, and he said he liked the 'awareness' it gave him. He liked liked VoodooAi bars showing him the risk as he installed stuff. He found OSArmor 'boring' because it just blocked stuff and the whitelist didn't work well for him. (no offense to OSArmor, it works nicely)

I just thought it was hilarious. Usually this kid isn't too security aware, but after the Russian's hacked his phone and Origin account, he's really ramped things up and wants more awareness. 'the voodoo thing' :D
about the russian "hacked" part, i hope you made your son use password managers

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013

It sounds like you have a very bright son with and equally bright future ahead of him.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

about the russian "hacked" part, i hope you made your son use password managers

I use the term 'hacked' because it's a generalized term. I introduced him to Sticky Password two years ago, which he has been using since, but I did an audit on everything after this incident and found a LOT of the passwords in his password manager were identical. :unsure: So education on password hygiene was in order.

Here's the cool part.. 8 days before he was 'hacked', I said to him "Russian's are trying to breach you.". He blew me off with the normal teen 'yeah yeah yeah, whatever' response. Exactly 8 days after my warning he started to get breached. His accounts started tumbling, one by one. The best part was when they used his phone hotspot to try and MITM my network, obviously unaware of my Rogue AP Detection/Suppression systems. The reason I knew over a week in advance was I have a SIEM on my network and L7 monitoring tools, I can usually see what someone is doing the second they start doing it, but rarely longer than a few hours before it's caught.

Then on the 10th day, my son 'unfriended' me in Origin and I said 'Well, they got your Origin account now'.. LOL I asked if he was 'ready' for me to take over, he agreed, and within an hour everything was rolled back, recovered, locked down, and there may or may not have been a counter offensive launched. :censored:

He knows the risk at our home. Cyber Awareness has to be a bit higher than the average joe home or you WILL get hit. All of this taught him some good lessons, and caused him to become much more security aware. VoodooShield helps increase his awareness of what he is doing, and he likes it.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I use the term 'hacked' because it's a generalized term. I introduced him to Sticky Password two years ago, which he has been using since, but I did an audit on everything after this incident and found a LOT of the passwords in his password manager were identical. :unsure: So education on password hygiene was in order.

Here's the cool part.. 8 days before he was 'hacked', I said to him "Russian's are trying to breach you.". He blew me off with the normal teen 'yeah yeah yeah, whatever' response. Exactly 8 days after my warning he started to get breached. His accounts started tumbling, one by one. The best part was when they used his phone hotspot to try and MITM my network, obviously unaware of my Rogue AP Detection/Suppression systems. The reason I knew over a week in advance was I have a SIEM on my network and L7 monitoring tools, I can usually see what someone is doing the second they start doing it, but rarely longer than a few hours before it's caught.

Then on the 10th day, my son 'unfriended' me in Origin and I said 'Well, they got your Origin account now'.. LOL I asked if he was 'ready' for me to take over, he agreed, and within an hour everything was rolled back, recovered, locked down, and there may or may not have been a counter offensive launched. :censored:

He knows the risk at our home. Cyber Awareness has to be a bit higher than the average joe home or you WILL get hit. All of this taught him some good lessons, and caused him to become much more security aware. VoodooShield helps increase his awareness of what he is doing, and he likes it.
how is that possible that sticky password generated identical passwords?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

how is that possible that sticky password generated identical passwords?

He didn't let Sticky do them, he manually entered the same stupid generic password 'FortniteOWNS1' on a fairly good number of accounts.

Now he knows better. His motto before was 'Who cares, I have nothing anyone wants'.. Well, when those accounts started disappearing from his control he soon realized the error of his ways.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
He didn't let Sticky do them, he manually entered the same stupid generic password 'FortniteOWNS1' on a fairly good number of accounts.

Now he knows better. His motto before was 'Who cares, I have nothing anyone wants'.. Well, when those accounts started disappearing from his control he soon realized the error of his ways.
"everyone learns from their mistakes" is very suiting here :D

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
From Dan at VoodooShield, 4/11/18

Hey everyone, I just released 4.28 to the public, you can download it here: https://voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield.exe

Or it will auto update when VS starts.

I was going to post 4.28 on here, but there were only a few very small changes... one was a change that will further limit command line blocks, one was fixing an issue with git.exe since it is treated as a vulnerable process (all of the github type apps should work great with VS now), and a user suggested that if a password is enabled in VS, that the user is only prompted when they try to change to a less aggressive mode.

SHA-256: ca76e36595e83605ae07d76f15f6fcc3cf7ec77b60aced1d9f8b94c6feca25a5

Thank you guys for all of your help! That should be it for now. I am going to take a couple weeks break from coding and work on some marketing items (unless some major bug appears out of nowhere). This will give me time to think about what VS 5.0 should look like, and then you guys and I will discuss everything to make sure we are on the right path.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
From Dan at VoodooShield, 4/11/18

Hey everyone, I just released 4.28 to the public, you can download it here: https://voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield.exe

Or it will auto update when VS starts.

I was going to post 4.28 on here, but there were only a few very small changes... one was a change that will further limit command line blocks, one was fixing an issue with git.exe since it is treated as a vulnerable process (all of the github type apps should work great with VS now), and a user suggested that if a password is enabled in VS, that the user is only prompted when they try to change to a less aggressive mode.

SHA-256: ca76e36595e83605ae07d76f15f6fcc3cf7ec77b60aced1d9f8b94c6feca25a5

Thank you guys for all of your help! That should be it for now. I am going to take a couple weeks break from coding and work on some marketing items (unless some major bug appears out of nowhere). This will give me time to think about what VS 5.0 should look like, and then you guys and I will discuss everything to make sure we are on the right path.
finally git is fixed

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
xx.gif

Re: VoodooShield v4 STABLE Thread
« Reply #439 on: April 08, 2018, 11:58:19 am »

Quote from: gorblimey on April 06, 2018, 08:55:42 pm
Quote from: topo on April 06, 2018, 11:13:22 am
how would one know to allow or block the msiexe.exe file? what does it do? attch is info for dan​

It's the Microsoft Installer package. It's almost certainly "protected", but in any case just leave it alone.

If you think it might be compromised, exit all of your AV suites: turn them off/disable them, then run an offline scan. msiexec lives in many locations, this could take time.

I see your security app mentioned the program could be a hijack candidate. The bad news is that almost any exe file is a hijack candidate: notepad, calculator, wordpad...

This sort of thing brings up the subject of Security 101: "Never assume your box is clean. You must assume it has already been penetrated, and your task is to mitigate the damage." Ideally, you start (over) with a fresh clean offline OS install. Then you add the security system of choice, and only then do you add your productivity apps/suite(s) and maybe register the OS online. At this stage you are desperately hoping the security suite is uncompromised...

Having said all that, assuming VS is installed on a clean box, it will protect you because anything that hijacks msiexec is not on the whitelist. It is possible that msiexec is also not whitelisted but OTOH it is a system file and gets close attention from VS anyway.

My personal experience is that all of these wonderful security suites are a complete waste of time on a good day and a major hazard on all other days. I use ZAM Free and MBAM Free separately to scan the system once a month, after which both are totally disabled (they have services) and VS is re-enabled to hold my hand for the rest of the month. As soon as Glasswire gets multi-user capabilities I'll install it, light up Windows Firewall, and enjoy the best protection on the planet.​

Absolutely... I am not going to turn VS into a security suite or a Swiss Army Knife. I just think it would also be cool to add post execution behavior analysis to VS in a very unique way, especially since it is not like we are going to have to redesign VS from the ground up like we did in VS 4.0, which cause a lot of bugs. There will actually be very, very few new bugs introduced. Basically, now that VS is stable, there is not a chance that I am going to put the users or myself through a massive debugging process again.

In general, what I mean by this new feature that implements post execution behavior analysis is this...

First of all, from a high level, computers are machines that essentially perform one function... execute code. The only practical way to keep them safe is to only allow them to execute the code that you knowingly want them to allow. If you consider most or all of the non-Windows operating systems, they pretty much all operate on this principle, and typically require SU rights (e.g. password) in order for new executable code to be introduced / executed. Somehow, the cybersecurity industry as a whole, has abandoned this model in favor of a more user-friendly model, and somehow actually believe that they are able to sufficiently protect the system. This is where the cybersecurity industry went wrong, and the end result has been massive breaches and massive growth in malware in the wild.... 6 years ago there were 15,000 new malware today, now there are 300,000-1,000,000.

For example, have you ever noticed how a lot of the anti-ransomware tools start off as post-execution behavior blockers, and eventually evolve into anti-executables? Well, there is a reason for that
wink.gif
. If you ask me, this is exactly backwards. If all I ever run on my computer is Microsoft Word (to write letters), games, Quickbooks, Photoshop, etc., and never launch a web browser or email client (or USB), the computer is simply never going to become infected. It is only when you are connected to the internet and start browsing the web and checking email, that you are at risk for infection.

And this is exactly what a lot of people do not understand about VS. They do not understand that if you simply block all known and unknown executable code when the user is engaged in risky activity, you have pretty much eliminated the problem. I mean really, why would anyone ever allow new, non-whitelisted executable code when the user is browsing the web or checking email?

So you start with locking the computer when it is at risk. But it would also be nice to monitor post-execution behaviors, such as ransomware, cryptominer, MBR, etc.., in the event the user accidentally allowed something they should not have. Basically, VS will be performing similar post-execution behavior analysis that the anti-ransom tools currently perform, but only after most of the bad items have already been filtered out by our lock.

Here is where things get interesting... if the user introduces new code while they were browsing the web or checking email, because of our initial patent, only VS can offer multiple levels of protection. Basically, if a new item is allowed while the computer is at risk, it will be examined more closely by our post-execution behavior blocker than, for example, medical software that was installed when the computer was not at risk. In OSX, there is warning "This is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?" Well, this new feature will take this one step further... VS will simply mark / flag the item as being introduced while the user was doing something risky, if and only if, the new item actually originated from a web app.

For example, I am sure that most of us have a folder where we store all of our favorite utilities / installers, much the same way SMB and enterprises store these items on a network share. These items, and their associated child process will either not be subject to examination by the behavior blocker at all, or if they are, they will be examined less aggressively.

So basically any new executable code that originated from the internet, and was actively downloaded during the session, will be subject to close(r) examination by VS's post-execution behavior blocker. Essentially what we will have is a behavior blocker that is aggressive when it needs to be, and far fewer false positives than traditional behavior blockers. It is going to be seriously cool. And trust me, there is not a chance that I will do anything to introduce tons of new bugs
wink.gif

BTW, I think it is important to elaborate on the distinction between pre-execution and post-execution behavior blockers. Examples of pre-execution "behavior" blockers are technologies like VS on AutoPilot (and when VS is in Smart OFF mode)... and another example is OSArmor. When VS is ON (Always ON, Smart ON), it does not need these "behavior" blockers, simply because all new executable code should be blocked when the lock is on (usually because the computer is at risk). This new behavior blocker feature will all happen post-execution, and will be a similar technology to the other security products that are focused on behavior blocking. The main difference will be VS should have far less false positives, because it will only closely monitor dangerous new items, as described above.

Either way, we will continue to offer the current version of VS until everyone is happy with the end result
wink.gif
. I am going to keep everything extremely simple... that is the whole point of VS
wink.gif
. Thank you!

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
looking forward to future VS versions, the plan of adding behavior blocker, specific anti-exploit mechanisms, ransom detection, etc will be exciting for little nerds like me! :ROFLMAO:

I used to love CyberHawk! - Im definetely a sucker for Behaviour/HIPS/type protections.

Last edited:

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
looking forward to future VS versions, the plan of adding behavior blocker, specific anti-exploit mechanisms, ransom detection, etc will be exciting for little nerds like me! :ROFLMAO:

I used to love CyberHawk! - Im definetely a sucker for Behaviour/HIPS/type protections.

Yes, for me it was ThreatFire. You can download the latest stable version from the VS website.(y)

Just curious - same thing happened at Wilder's - is there a problem with VS, or just the dev?

It's his baby, he's very proud and protective.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Just curious - same thing happened at Wilder's - is there a problem with VS, or just the dev?

Forums are tough places. Often unforgiving. More often than not with a small handful of disruptive/destructive people.

A lot of developers are also this way. Often they will show up on forums to promote, talk about or support their products and eventually they all seem to get dismayed and disappear. Anyone that has lurked around wilders for decades knows that many years ago there were probably a 100 or more well known developers, support people or engineers from a wide range of firms on that forum. Today they're all largely gone and what's left are people complaining why XYZ runs bad on Windows XP and so forth.

There are 'safe' forums where pros and devs usually regress. Vendor forums. Official support forums with extreme moderation. Engineering and development specific forums. Enterprise/Corporate IT forums, etc. Private pro/dev Facebook groups have become prevalent. I think that's where a lot of developers/engineers/personnel regressed to and you can't really slight them for it. They don't have time to deal with the inevitable attacks and dramas that come interacting with the general public who are universally disliked to be dealt with by most pros and devs for a wide variety of reasons.

TLDR; Basically, you have a few brave souls that venture into the wilderness and deal with the consequences of interacting with the consumer/user. Then you have everyone else that simply says - not going to happen.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.