VS with SpS Firewall: Which protection kicks in first?

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Currently I got VS free on auto-mode and Spyshelter Firewall (High Security Mode?) on 6mth license.

Recently while trying to update some software (e.g. WFC, ZAM, LibreOffice, etc), I have blocks coming from both software. While im pretty confused, I wondered which of the two kicks in the block first followed by the others?

I realised sometimes SpS is aggresive in blocking, other times VS blocks the execution too.

H

hjlbx

Currently I got VS free on auto-mode and Spyshelter Firewall (High Security Mode?) on 6mth license.

Recently while trying to update some software (e.g. WFC, ZAM, LibreOffice, etc), I have blocks coming from both software. While im pretty confused, I wondered which of the two kicks in the block first followed by the others?

I realised sometimes SpS is aggresive in blocking, other times VS blocks the execution too.

You can combo SpS with VS, but why would you want to do so ?

The advantage of VS over SpS is that VS has AI, Cuckoo sandbox and ability to monitor and whitelist command lines.

SpS does have a sandbox (restricted apps) like VS. Also, when using SpS, technically you are whitelisting command lines when you whitelist a process; you have the option to inspect the command lines in the SpS Application Execution log - but that is after the fact - which is too late. So VS has an edge over SpS in this regard. SpS, on the other hand, has an advantage over VS in the monitoring of a whole range of process behaviors.

Both VS and SpS will block execution by default - which is the most important thing - and with that redundant capability using VS and SpS together, it is difficult to justify a combo; the disadvantage of a VS-SpS combo is that you will get double alerts upon file exectuion.

It makes more sense to use either VS or SpS and then combine the one you have chosen with a soft that can revert your system to a pre-infection state.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

SpS has an option for start with windows services, it which case it starts early, before you log in to your user account.
I don't know when VS starts. I asked the dev on the other forum a couple weeks ago and I am waiting for an answer.
maybe someone over here on MT knows?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.