How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
Other operating system
MX-21
On-device encryption
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Check for updates and Notify
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time security
Windows Defender, OSArmor
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Malwarebytes Firewall Interface for Windows Defender Firewall, Added all but Adobe Reader Firewall Hardening measures in Hard_Configurartor, several Group Policy settings enabled.
SRP - Default-deny
-Hard_Configurator_6_latest: High setting
-Full BitLocker encrypted system partition.
-BIOS: passworded, Memory Protection, Intel Virtualization & Intel VT-d- enabled
-Hyper-V enabled
Periodic malware scanners
VirusTotal
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox latest (primary), MS Edge

-uBlockO
-CSS Exfil
-LocalCDN
Secure DNS
Cloudflare
Quad9
Desktop VPN
None
Password manager
Lastpass and Browser's built-in

Keepass free
Maintenance tools
Occasional system images using IFW (Image for Windows) and Disk cleanup using built-in Disk cleaner
File and Photo backup
-Separate, encrypted partition
-USB Drive
System recovery
IFW (Image for Windows)
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Device name Lenovo-E580
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.70 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.86 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
What I'm looking for?

Looking for maximum feedback.

wat0114

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
I would remove LocalCDN. I have read many people argue that it has no worthwhile privacy upside but it breaks a lot of sites instead. Not worth it.
See this:

It's broken a couple site on me, so I've disabled it for them.

EDIT

I wanted to ask: this is one person's opinion on which extensions are worthwhile, especially with regards to complementing the incomparable and extraordinary uBlockO. Are there others who support this stance against the effectiveness of LocalCDN, and do they suggest better alternatives? I'm reluctant to remove - or even add - an extension based upon the opinions of a lone individual. Thanks.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Are there others who support this stance against the effectiveness of LocalCDN, and do they suggest better alternatives? I'm reluctant to remove - or even add - an extension based upon the opinions of a lone individual. Thanks.
There are MT users who rely little on "privacy" extensions other than an adblocker, following the "less is more" theory. LocalCDN provides some small benefit on FF and virtually none in chromium browsers. It is especially pointless if using µBO in medium or especially hard mode. Decentraleyes is the only alternative I know of, and it provides even less benefit as it's updated rarely and has less frameworks, etc.

There are some restrictions for Chrome and Chromium based browsers. While both browsers support the WebExtensionsAPI, there are still differences. Chromium unfortunately doesn't support all the cool features of LocalCDN.
LocalCDN
  • Decentraleyes, LocalCDN
    • Third parties are already isolated if you use FPI/dFPI. Do not confuse this as a solution to hide your IP. If you want to hide your IP, then use the appropriate tools
    • Decentraleyes is practically abandonware with little to no impact with years old outdated resources
  • Extensions can often be detected
    • e.g. script injection and function names
    • e.g. if not uniquely, then by their behavior and characteristic patterns
4.1 Extensions · arkenfox/user.js Wiki
LibreWolf developers have this to say:
The best suggestion is always to keep a very minimal addons setup, but you might want to give a try to the ones below, either to block more granularly trackers, or to migrate to a good password manager. (LocalCDN is not on the list)
Addons — LibreWolf Browser
Lastly, LocalCDN has to intercept requests and inject resources so it's possibly a security risk if it were abused by a malicious actor.

Last edited:

wat0114

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
Upgraded to Windows 11, 21H2 (OS Build 22000.318) using the registry hack here:

https://www.theverge.com/22715331/how-to-install-windows-11-unsupported-cpu-intel-amd-registry-regedit

since my processor is unsupported. After applying updates and running Disk cleanup, all is fine so far.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Upgraded to Windows 11, 21H2 (OS Build 22000.318) using the registry hack here:

https://www.theverge.com/22715331/how-to-install-windows-11-unsupported-cpu-intel-amd-registry-regedit

since my processor is unsupported. After applying updates and running Disk cleanup, all is fine so far.
Do you get updates?

Reactions: wat0114

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.