Advanced Plus Security wat0114 security config 2021

CSC Archive
107 Replies 29,001 Views
Last updated
Jun 12, 2021
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
macOS 15 Sequoia
OS version and support details
MX-21
On-device encryption
Device sign-in security
    • Windows Hello PIN or biometric sign-in (face / fingerprint / Touch ID)
Security updates
Check for updates and Notify
User Account Control (UAC)
Always notify
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time protection
Windows Defender, OSArmor
Device firewall
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Custom security settings
Malwarebytes Firewall Interface for Windows Defender Firewall, Added all but Adobe Reader Firewall Hardening measures in Hard_Configurartor, several Group Policy settings enabled.
SRP - Default-deny
-Hard_Configurator_6_latest: High setting
-Full BitLocker encrypted system partition.
-BIOS: passworded, Memory Protection, Intel Virtualization & Intel VT-d- enabled
-Hyper-V enabled
Periodic malware scanners
VirusTotal
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browsers and extensions
Firefox latest (primary), MS Edge

-uBlockO
-CSS Exfil
-LocalCDN
Secure DNS
Cloudflare
Quad9
Desktop VPN
None
Password and passkey manager
Lastpass and Browser's built-in

Keepass free
Maintenance tools
Occasional system images using IFW (Image for Windows) and Disk cleanup using built-in Disk cleaner
File and photo backups
-Separate, encrypted partition
-USB Drive
System recovery
IFW (Image for Windows)
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Visiting unknown or untrusted websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming from untrusted sites
Computer specs
Device name Lenovo-E580
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.70 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.86 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Feedback preference

Detailed suggestions and alternatives welcome

Which H_C's setting profile do you use for now?

Do you mean from the main interface?

EDIT

I chose Recommended Settings if that's what you mean.

H_C .png

EDIT 2

So Andy, you have helped me discover predefined profiles. I went to the Manual and found out about them. I just applied: Windows_10_Strict_Recommended_Settings.hdc. I had always thought the Load Profile button was to load profiles saved only by the user - not to also load predefined profiles included with the utility. I had simply hit the Recommended Settings button before.

H_C-2 .png

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Do you mean from the main interface?

EDIT

I chose Recommended Settings if that's what you mean.

View attachment 261613

EDIT 2

So Andy, you have helped me discover predefined profiles. I went to the Manual and found out about them. I just applied: Windows_10_Strict_Recommended_Settings.hdc. I had always thought the Load Profile button was to load profiles saved only by the user - not to also load predefined profiles included with the utility. I had simply hit the Recommended Settings button before.

View attachment 261614

Thanks!

With these settings you have to remember that:
  1. Many application auto-updates will be blocked. You have to update these applications manually after switching off the SRP temporarily (<Switch ON/OFF SRP> green button). The details are described in the H_C FAQ.
  2. In these settings "Install By Smartscreen" works with high privileges, so it should not be used on SUA. When using these settings on SUA the application installations should be done like in point 1. If not then some applications will install files on administrator account instead of the standard user account.
    There is no problem when using only one account (default Administrator account).
 
Last edited:
With Microsoft Defender and Hard_Configurator at your settings you could easily go without OSA. You might want to check out the impressive results in these links:

Malware Hub Report - Hard Configurator - march 2019 report
Malware Hub Report - Hard Configurator - april 2019 report
Malware Hub Report - Hard Configurator - may 2019 report
https://malwaretips.com/search/276925/

Those are indeed impressive results. Thanks for sharing. I'll keep OSA installed at least until my license expires in three months, then I'll decide whether to remove it.
 
With these settings you have to remember that:
  1. Many application auto-updates will be blocked. You have to update these applications manually after switching off the SRP temporarily (<Switch ON/OFF SRP> green button). The details are described in the H_C FAQ.
  2. In these settings "Install By Smartscreen" works with high privileges, so it should not be used on SUA. When using these settings on SUA the application installations should be done like in point 1. If not then some applications will install files on administrator account instead of the standard user account.
    There is no problem when using only one account (default Administrator account).

This not only works for me, but I like the restrictions better than the Recommended settings :)
 
Oldschool is right that OSA is not necessary in those settings. Such a setup would be overkill for most home users. Anyway, If you do not encounter any problems and do not feel the setup inconvenient, then there is no reason to change it.
 
... I like the restrictions better than the Recommended settings :)

The Recommended Settings are in fact better for most home users. Anyway, I can understand that you can feel that more restrictive settings can be 'better' for you.:)
 
The Recommended Settings are in fact better for most home users. Anyway, I can understand that you can feel that more restrictive settings can be 'better' for you.:)

There seems to be no limit to the ingenious level of attack methods malware authors create. I guess my overkill setup is to potentially prevent a future attack that might bypass a setup that is currently adequate for home users. I could be out to lunch on this theory, but I guess I like the additional insurance policy, even though it may never be needed.
 
Are you using Application Guard for Edge? (you have a Windows Pro, so it comes with the OS).
 
There seems to be no limit to the ingenious level of attack methods malware authors create. I guess my overkill setup is to potentially prevent a future attack that might bypass a setup that is currently adequate for home users. I could be out to lunch on this theory, but I guess I like the additional insurance policy, even though it may never be needed.

Yes, that is true. I think that in your case this setup is simply fun or kind of a hobby. It is safe and it is OK if you like it.
Be safe.:)(y)
 
Last edited:
Well, LOL, I reverted to Recommended settings due to being unable to launch OneDrive, and for a lesser reason, the %TEMP% directory is restricted by the SRP rules.

Besides, the latter is nicely under surveillance from OSA :D

EDIT

and yes I realize scripting is likely going to trigger first in this type of exploit, which H_C will stop.
 
Last edited:

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top