WatchGuard Technologies to Acquire Panda Security

lordman

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 18, 2013
WatchGuard Technologies, a leading global provider of network security and intelligence, secure Wi-Fi and multi-factor authentication, today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Panda Security, a leading global provider in advanced endpoint protection. Once the integration is complete, our joint customer and partner community will benefit from a powerful security platform that bridges the network and user perimeter, touting the same combination of innovative security features and simplified packaging, deployment and management capabilities that both companies are known for today.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Maybe it'll get better. Protection wise it's still very good, just execution of it is a bit weird. Like program updating of Panda Free that never actually updates it and you have to install new version over by hand. Things like that...

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
I think their consumer division it's no longer that profitable after the massive adoption of Windows Defender so they're now focusing on enterprise solutions

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Watchguard almost certainly cares more about their UTM (enterprise firewall/IPS/gateway) solutions and not having to pay for an AV engine from a third party is a huge win for that.

WD and other free AV solutions are good for individual device protection, but there's a lot of demand for these fully integrated UTM solutions where the health/presence of an endpoint protection software on a device is a prerequisite to the firewall allowing it onto the network, for example.

Sophos I think does the best job at this product category. They have a decent in-house engine and I believe they still use Avira as their secondary engine.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Already on its webpage, it's now a "WatchGuard brand."

Thoma Bravo (owner of Sophos) seems more of an investment group and a collector of companies as opposed to WatchGuard's being straight-up security. Do you think in the future, Panda will be operating under a different name? Up to now, the brand-name didn't seem a turn-off for consumers in general, particularly since it had a free version.

But to me: a panda conjures up a happy-go-lucky, roly poly cuddlebug, hardly an image to go along with a supposedly highly vigilant enterprise security on the watch for ransomware and other major threats.

Let's see what happens. Surely, it was a win-win both ways.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.