App Review Webroot Internet Security Plus 12.21.19

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
In fact most of them don't even understand how it works, if they did, they can't logically accept such mechanism especially in our time.
If webroot would virtualize the whole system then it will works, but not the way it is implemented now. The rollback machanism can't cope with 50+Gb of modified datas.

I always figured the most efficient way to do that was capture the encryption key in memory, not that your AV should be grabbing those.

RKRN3

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 6, 2019
Screenshot (132).png

Finally found both ESET's and Webroot's test results in SE Labs' latest report for home consumers.

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
View attachment 233153
Finally found both ESET's and Webroot's test results in SE Labs' latest report for home consumers.

That's the one they did fairly well at, but I feel that the blanket detection stats are more accurate than the aggregates that they use:

aTBEilH.jpg

Relative to Zonealarm, Avira, they detected 1 less file. Products like Sophos, Avast, F-Secure, Eset, etc., it was 2 files. But when you consider identity shield, a compromise with Webroot by something like a banking trojan would have less severe consequences than other products. If Webroot were able to fix their inconsistency problem with, tests they'd have a top tier product. Assuming you consider any of these tests valid at all.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Not true. A noob would be perfectly fine with webroot. In fact I tend to recommend it, as it’s quite with very few fps and quite solid. It’s also the lightest.
His post was a sarcasm to Webroot's fanboys telling to people criticizing it that they don't know how to use it...

Light, depends where you look. If for RAM and general OS responsiveness, yes. If for disk writing, no way. It is the only AV i see writing 4gb of datas in less than 30mn...

Solid? Webfilter, yes. The rest, not so much.

You are right, Webroot is perfect for noobs, people who don't know much about technicalities, want a light set & forget AV, thinking it is awesome.

B

BVLon

His post was a sarcasm to Webroot's fanboys telling to people criticizing it that they don't know how to use it...

Light, depends where you look. If for RAM and general OS responsiveness, yes. If for disk writing, no way. It is the only AV i see writing 4gb of datas in less than 30mn...

Solid? Webfilter, yes. The rest, not so much.

You are right, Webroot is perfect for noobs, people who don't know much about technicalities, want a light set & forget AV, thinking it is awesome.
I personally wouldn't use it, but when I tested it, I saw extremely minor performance impact.
I haven't seen it writing huge amounts of data to the disk and that might have been some temporary issue.

Yeah, noobs like this sort of stuff, that doesn't do much and doesn't bother them lol
Antivirus is good, better than McAfee but on my tests it didn't handle fileless attacks too well. Or more likely it didn't detect them at all.
Seems like Webroot doesn't know they exist. I
Interface was, at the very least, blurry.
I recommend it to people who watch online TV all day lol

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I personally wouldn't use it, but when I tested it, I saw extremely minor performance impact.
I haven't seen it writing huge amounts of data to the disk and that might have been some temporary issue.
Well know issues since a decade.
The culprit, I tend to believe from my testing, is the journaling mechanism, who start recording the activity of low-reputation or unknown program/processes, and write in the WRdata folder.

Antivirus is good, better than McAfee but on my tests it didn't handle fileless attacks too well. Or more likely it didn't detect them at all.
Seems like Webroot doesn't know they exist. I
Because Webroot is new to script-based attack vectors, the anti-script protection was added around a year ago...Quite late...

Also fileless attacks uses legitimate LOLbins which are probably all whitelisted.
I don't remember you can tweak its BB to block them manually.

They promised a true anti-exploit feature (a la EMET) to prevent memory-based threats (trademark of fileless attacks) but the project seems dead in the water...

B

BVLon

Well know issues since a decade.
The culprit, I tend to believe from my testing, is the journaling mechanism, who start recording the activity of low-reputation or unknown program/processes, and write in the WRdata folder.

Because Webroot is new to script-based attack vectors, the anti-script protection was added around a year ago...Quite late...

Also fileless attacks uses legitimate LOLbins which are probably all whitelisted.
I don't remember you can tweak its BB to block them manually.

They promised a true anti-exploit feature (a la EMET) to prevent memory-based threats (trademark of fileless attacks) but the project seems dead in the water...
To be honest, I only gave it a 10-minute spin and I uninstalled it.
The poor script-based attacks blocking was a put-off for me I would not recommend this software to people in a need of a good security.
Prior to the test, I increased the heuristics level, that didn't help.
I also noticed the poor anti-exploit features.
Now that you've enlightened me about an ongoing performance issue, I will not be recommending it even to noobs.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

@BVLon
I beta-test it since it's first beta a decade ago and even when its past iteration called Prevx.
performance wise it is light, you won't suffer slowdown at all, problem is this damn journalism mechanism on what Webroot whole protection is based on (aka the "rollback" system).
Many users complained about it, and instead of giving a option to prevent its oversized writing, they just told users to manually delete the files if too big.... Great developers lol.

B

BVLon

@BVLon
I beta-test it since it's first beta a decade ago and even when its past iteration called Prevx.
performance wise it is light, you won't suffer slowdown at all, problem is this damn journalism mechanism on what Webroot whole protection is based on (aka the "rollback" system).
Many users complained about it, and instead of giving a option to prevent its oversized writing, they just told users to manually delete the files if too big.... Great developers lol.

I dropped them a message on FB commenting their poor user experience. I am obviously not John McAfee, but I've got connections and I am used to companies normally being a bit more acceptive of my feedback. From a business point of view, you should reply when someone is commenting on your products.
However, I received no response from them to date. I remember this UI from ages ago and it's not great.
If that's how you present your product and business, the journaling system is your least of an issue.
Product is visibly underdeveloped.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

From a business point of view, you should reply when someone is commenting on your products.
However, I received no response from them to date. I remember this UI from ages ago and it's not great.
If that's how you present your product and business, the journaling system is your least of an issue.
Product is visibly underdeveloped.
indeed, a professional Q&A/pentesting colleague, who quite liked Webroot, send them dozen of reports about breaches and other "bypasses" he found, all he got back from the support was a huge silence...and even in one case an unpleasant answer like he is bothering them...

B

BVLon

indeed, a professional Q&A/pentesting colleague, who quite liked Webroot, send them dozen of reports about breaches and other "bypasses" he found, all he got back from the support was a huge silence...and even in one case an unpleasant answer like he is bothering them...
But how frequently are they actually doing any major changes? Are they changing anything at all? I am not familiar with their release cycle.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

That is the problem with Webroot, as a closed beta-tester, they just inform you about a new build without telling what changes or what was fixed. Just eventually some hype when they add a new feature.
Their closed beta-testing is just a joke, where people spam at every new build "no problem so far"...there is no interaction with devs, they don't ask to replicate issues, etc... That sum the whole professionalism of Webroot, no wonder they released 2 times updates that crippled thousand of systems, reason they lost important corporate contracts.

Niye that I was the one suggesting the idea of a private closed beta subforum...they did years later lol.

B

BVLon

That is the problem with Webroot, as a closed beta-tester, they just inform you about a new build without telling what changes or what was fixed. Just eventually some hype when they add a new feature.
Their closed beta-testing is just a joke, where people spam at every new build "no problem so far"...there is no interaction with devs, they don't ask to replicate issues, etc... That sum the whole professionalism of Webroot, no wonder they released 2 times updates that crippled thousand of systems, reason they lost important corporate contracts.

Niye that I was the one suggesting the idea of a private closed beta subforum...they did years later lol.
Now I'm starting to think even McAfee is better than webroot :D
They sorta listen and try to improve.

B

BVLon

I remember using it years ago I couldn't figure out why my hard drive was so low on space. There was so much gb's of data in the WRdata folder it was insane. I do remember being fond of Spy Sweeper though.

The whole implementation of this system is not great. Seems like their whitelist is not really huge either. There is also no way to select how much space it can occupy. Also, why does it need to record tons of data... You'll only need to revert couple of hours in the worst case... it's not really smartly designed.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I remember using it years ago I couldn't figure out why my hard drive was so low on space. There was so much gb's of data in the WRdata folder it was insane. I do remember being fond of Spy Sweeper though.
Webroot was exceptionay efficient at the beginning, reason I liked it very much, and promoted it here but with time passing they severely went down, no wonder they sold it for cheap to a backup imaging vendor...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.