App Review Webroot Internet Security Plus 12.21.19

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
I have a client that's been running it for the past few months and the folder is only 100 megabytes.
That's my case too.
And you can tune it to block every file unknown to Webroot database:
OK, I have tried the Heuristics setting with a safe, but not very common file:
IPv4Calculator.exe
SHA-256: 58850505066f38724195dc6dd008d35f5a44a55b900a1c487d6f08603d06264a

The file was blocked and it's actually blocked by default after 120 seconds (y)

View attachment 233061

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I have used it too for years, without the WR data folder got over 50MB, so it's seemingly only in some cases it happens.
Use a low-reputation application daily then you will see.
The problem is:
1- there is no way of limiting the amount of aggregated datas. No option for it.
2- you have to manually report the said application.
3- they aren't able to find a way to fix it despite tons of reports, their best answer? Delete the content yourself looool, so much professionalism..

After you wonder why corporations ditched it and it ended sold for peanuts to a Imaging company despite its big market share.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
If you enable that setting does it also block scripts? Or is that just geared towards unknown executables?
Not sure about that, I haven't tried it against scripts.
On Webroot online manual they say: "Warn when any new program executes that is not specifically whitelisted: issues a warning for any program not specifically included in the Webroot database of applications that are known to be okay"

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Use a low-reputation application daily then you will see.
The problem is:
1- there is no way of limiting the amount of aggregated datas. No option for it.
2- you have to manually report the said application.
3- they aren't able to find a way to fix it despite tons of reports, their best answer? Delete the content yourself looool, so much professionalism..

After you wonder why corporations ditched it and it ended sold for peanuts to a Imaging company despite its big market share.
You can manually change the status of that app from "monitor" to "allow".
I agree it's not very usable, but it's the usal balance between protection and usability

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I’m no expert at this so please feel free to correct me.

But I believe Webroot has some sort of system optimizer. And I questioned over at Wilders why couldn't they simply make a schedule where the optimizer automatically deleted the WR folder if it exceeded a predetermined size over a period of time.

For example, if the folder exceeds 3 GB over 3 weeks it gets deleted.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I’m no expert at this so please feel free to correct me.

But I believe Webroot has some sort of system optimizer. And I questioned over at Wilders why couldn't they simply make a schedule where the optimizer automatically deleted the WR folder if it exceeded a predetermined size over a period of time.

For example, if the folder exceeds 3 GB over 3 weeks it gets deleted.
yes it has a system cleaner, but my problem is not about deleting, which is minor issue, but the constant writes; i dont want it to write and wear my SSD for nothing. It shouldn't be allowed to write 3gb of crap in the first place.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.