Webroot, the only small AV left.

Discussion in 'Webroot' started by Windows Defender Shill, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Windows Defender Shill

Apr 28, 2017
    Alabama
    Windows 10
    Webroot
    My overall usage drops precipitously
    On a laptop
    I forgot about Panda

Sunshine-boy, CodaPG, frogboy and 2 others like this.
  2. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    Roll back won't help you if your personal data or login credentials already exfiltrated.

3. Opcode

Opcode Level 18
    Content Creator

Aug 17, 2017
    Caille
    Windows 10
    Panda are not as liked by other vendors because they do things which most probably deem unethical. They have a browser extension for safe online browsing which can hijack your search engine automatically to a custom MyStart page (associated with many other browser hijackers in adware/PUPs in the past, even this website has an article about it on the official MT blog). They get so many complaints but just didn't care. They even had a forum query about fixing it and the support about it was atrocious haha.

They might have good protection, I do not know, but doing that stuff to make money especially without being 100% clear and helping revert those actions in a good manner is just unethical IMO and therefore I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. Rather use a rogue AV than Panda (or McAfee as well). Panda feels like a rogue with its unethical extensions and McAfee feels like a GUI asking me to pay more money (well it did until they redesigned it)

The MyStart page just uses Yahoo search and displays advertisements... like wow how about you block those ads instead huh?

4. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    Why not employ EAM, If WR is now indeed utilizing EAM sigs, why not skip the middle man and install EAM
    its just as light without the FW and far superior with a bad azz Behavior Blocker

5. Opcode

Opcode Level 18
    Content Creator

Aug 17, 2017
    Caille
    Windows 10
    Oh yeah I agree with Cyber. Especially if Webroot causes many issues with detection which @Slyguy was talking about or doesn't crack down on PUPs/PHAs well... Emsisoft does! In fact Emsisoft really hate PUPs. ESET hate them a lot as well

I can't say if I think WR is good or bad, it would be unfair of me to even share an opinion on that considering I have never tested it to an extent like others in the past. So if some think it is good then thats cool and vice versa. But if someone is using WR and has issues like allegedly happened with others, honestly the best alternate would probably be EAM I think

It has gotten to the point where usually the only recommendation I have to give is just to use EAM because of how much they actually care about their users (protection + privacy) and how good their product is

6. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    Good post. My 'default' recommendation now extends to Emsisoft and only Emsisoft. Of course that is outside of the company where I work, applying to friends/family.. Often the question is asked at family events 'Hey bro, which AV?', I just say Emsisoft and move on. Knowing that the vast majority of them are mindless clickers, and EAM's stance on PUP/PUA/RW gives them added protection they won't find with other products.

7. bjm_

bjm_ Level 3

May 17, 2015
    Zestafoni, Georgia
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    told me too

Umbra likes this.
  8. tonibalas

tonibalas Level 38
    Trusted

Sep 26, 2014
    I am using WR for about a month now.
    I wanted to see how it performs.
    As always RAM usage is very small but the good thing is that i don't notice to much CPU usage which for me is important.
    As for protection it's WebFilter so far seems good.
    @_CyberGhosT_ said that WR is utilizing EAM sigs. If that is true then it's a big plus for WR.
    Now about WRData mine is only 15,8 MB.
    As for disk space WR takes about 50 MB.
    My opinion is that EAV and WR are the lightest av's on my system.
    Very close to them is EAM.
    I have used all 3 of them and i am very satisfied, but then again i am not a happy clicker;)

9. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    no idea where he got this info.

10. tonibalas

tonibalas Level 38
    Trusted

Sep 26, 2014
    Yeah it's the first time i heard it too.
    At the moment it seems that Webroot have solved some bugs that i have seen in the past.
    So far so good.

11. Sunshine-boy

Sunshine-boy Level 22

Apr 1, 2017
    IRAN
    Windows 10
    ESET
    #31 Sunshine-boy, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    SysGauge Download
    Everyone can analyze the windows with this tool!! it can tell me what is slowing down my computer!special tool because shows you the number of handles and threads!I tried many tools but this one does the job better than others!

12. rockstarrocks

rockstarrocks Level 14

Apr 16, 2017
    Civil Engineer
    Delhi>India>Asia>Earth>S.S.>Milky way>Our Universe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    AFAIK WSA has Identity Protection which doesn't let "monitored/unknown apps" to log keystrokes or get personal data. But I am not sure the extent of this feature.

13. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Level 7

May 26, 2014
    Lawyer
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Very good post, I was going to write something similar (about explorer and WRDATA) so you saved me some time :D

I just want to add that Webroot doesnt have a proper Win32 emulator/unpacker, cant detect polymorphic or desinfect file infector viruses (old stuff I know) and has very poor protection against legacy malware.

Personally I dont like full cloud antivirus, I think they simple sucks because usually they lack proper emulators and unpackers, something that is very important against handcrafted malware and APT.

For the OP, I would suggest ESET 11, it is very light by all measurements.

14. woodrowbone

woodrowbone Level 8

Dec 24, 2011
    I just asked myself ;), the OP show a pic of his mem usage, I gave the same back but with Panda installed. Easy as that...

/W

Umbra and tonibalas like this.
  15. Muddy7

Muddy7 Level 1

Jun 27, 2014
    I used to get a virus at least once every six months probably more frequently. This was despite trying various different security protections recommended by my shop. I remember using Symantec and Trend Micro. I think I tried others but I can't remember which, it's so long ago.

Since changing to Prevx->WSA in Oct 2006, I haven't been infected once and that's the honest truth.

Other people's mileages may vary, of course...

tonibalas likes this.
  16. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    I was commenting on a comment someone else made, I was not stating they "did"
    MT_SS.png
    See post #24 for reference ;)

rockstarrocks and tonibalas like this.
  17. tonibalas

tonibalas Level 38
    Trusted

Sep 26, 2014
    Thanks for the clarification, though it would be great if they use EAM sigs;)

_CyberGhosT_ and rockstarrocks like this.
  18. bjm_

bjm_ Level 3

May 17, 2015
    Zestafoni, Georgia
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Um, do you run only WebrootSA. What other security soft do you run?

19. Muddy7

Muddy7 Level 1

Jun 27, 2014
    #39 Muddy7, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2017
    None.

TerrakionSmash, bjm_ and Alexhousek like this.