Webroot, the only small AV left.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Since its inception, Webroot regularly gets hammered in testing. It's not because the product is not tested correctly. It's because the product is lacking. Just recently, Webroot gave the excuse that they failed in independent tests because a new module they are developing was not yet tested with the product.

Ok, so what of the "most advanced blah blah blah" claims for the past 8 years then? That's an unintended admission that they were bullshitting.

1535506061533.png

OH YEAAHH!

D

Deleted member 178

I remember the one time I tried it. My son said 'Dad, my SSD is out of space'.. I'm like.. WHAT? I ran Treesize, and found 118GB in the WRDATA folder.. I spent day after day opening tickets for whitelisting, finally uninstalling it in frustration.
Yes, seems the culprit is the journaling system used for the rollback feature, i bet if you have several low popularity software, the system will amass datas and store them in WRdata under .db files. Webroot is supposed to clean the folder from time to time, but it may be too long. Anyway , you can do it yourself by deleting those .db files.

Webroot is a dying product. Recent fiasco(s) where they bricked some machines. Some MSP's that used Webroot spend thousands of man hours fixing systems and servers. I virtually never hear of anyone using it anymore
yes , happened 2 times already.

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
I remember the one time I tried it. My son said 'Dad, my SSD is out of space'.. I'm like.. WHAT? I ran Treesize, and found 118GB in the WRDATA folder.. I spent day after day opening tickets for whitelisting, finally uninstalling it in frustration.

Webroot is a dying product. Recent fiasco(s) where they bricked some machines. Some MSP's that used Webroot spend thousands of man hours fixing systems and servers. I virtually never hear of anyone using it anymore.

I still like the product. They're not the only ones that have bricked systems before.

Reactions: Nevi and Alexhousek
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I also kinda like Webroot because of Identity Protection features. Still have some unused licenses in Webroot portal, waiting for product improvements tho. I like that you can restart users system from online dashboard without prompt on clients side. :D Logged in recently and saw that they have improved that management panel interface too, I don't know how long it's been there, but looks better and clearer.

Webroot + VoodooShield was one of my favorite combos back then. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

How effective is its roll back ??

it is effective only against certain types of infections. And which infections those are... you have to get a list from Webroot. However, I doubt they will give you such a list. Webroot isn't open about such things as they say it provides a way for malc0ders to target their soft.

If you know how to use WSA, then you configure it to monitor the setup\launcher files of some unknown\untrusted program or script before you launch them. That way you can rollback most things if turns out to be a bad deal after you launch them. However, you cannot rollback everything despite Webroot marketing saying "It will rollback perfectly every time..." It just don't work that way. What their marketing materials really mean is that it will rollback perfectly what has been shown and demonstrated in this here video...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
it is effective only against certain types of infections. And which infections those are... you have to get a list from Webroot. However, I doubt they will give you such a list. Webroot isn't open about such things as they say it provides a way for malc0ders to target their soft.

If you know how to use WSA, then you configure it to monitor the setup\launcher files of some unknown\untrusted program or script before you launch them. That way you can rollback most things if turns out to be a bad deal after you launch them. However, you cannot rollback everything despite Webroot marketing saying "It will rollback perfectly every time..." It just don't work that way. What their marketing materials really mean is that it will rollback perfectly what has been shown and demonstrated in this here video...
however i see one pro for webroot..solid antiphishing consistently..

Reactions: Nevi

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
View attachment 196816
View attachment 196817

Way back from 2016, 32 hours later managed to recover files after Cerber hit. I still wouldn't use that "recovered" system because remnants may have left from ransom, save documents and just format system afterwards.
that seems a bit interesting...i have used him for anti phishing..but never tested their modules due to lack of patience
What's your opinion ?

Reactions: Nevi

that seems a bit interesting...i have used him for anti phishing..but never tested their modules due to lack of patience
What's your opinion ?

@davisd points out something important - which is the time that the user must allow WSA to roll back a system. Rollback can take up to 48 hours before it rolls back the system. After 48 hours the system is toast. These details were not present in the WSA documentation the last time I checked. The infos was only give out by Webroot support after an infection was reported to them.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016

Webroot is a dying product. Recent fiasco(s) where they bricked some machines. Some MSP's that used Webroot spend thousands of man hours fixing systems and servers. I virtually never hear of anyone using it anymore.

I absolutely dont think Webroot is a dying product. In this forum there are a group that don't like it, and that's fine. But I can asure you WRSA will live for a long time, if they continue like they do. I would use it again if need be, but I had used it so many years I thought it was time for a change.
For people that prioritize low resourse footprint, but still good malware blocking, WRSA fit the bill nicely.

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
I absolutely dont think Webroot is a dying product. In this forum there are a group that don't like it, and that's fine. But I can asure you WRSA will live for a long time, if they continue like they do. I would use it again if need be, but I had used it so many years I thought it was time for a change.
For people that prioritize low resourse footprint, but still good malware blocking, WRSA fit the bill nicely.
A few days ago, Webroot got an "Excellent" and 4.5 stars from PC Magazine Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus
I've been using it for more than a year and so far, so good. Very light and ultra fast at scanning.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Since Webroot has been doing well in tests lately and I still have a license for it, I'm thinking of trying it again on my budget laptop just because it's so light on resource usage. However, I have a small SSD, which I don't want WR to fill with many gigabytes of unnecessary data. Could any current WR users let me know if it still stores huge amounts of data? Thanks.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Since Webroot has been doing well in tests lately and I still have a license for it, I'm thinking of trying it again on my budget laptop just because it's so light on resource usage. However, I have a small SSD, which I don't want WR to fill with many gigabytes of unnecessary data. Could any current WR users let me know if it still stores huge amounts of data? Thanks.
If you don't download a lot of new stuff Webroot react on, your disk should not be filled with a lot of weird stuff in program data. Mine was around 10-20 MB most of the time. The only reason I changed, was because I needed to try new stuff. I have alternated between Kaspersky and Eset, and Eset won. I used Webroot over 10 years without infections, and I still think it's an awesome antivirus. (y)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.