What are paranoid users so afraid of ?

What are paranoid users so afraid of ?

• Windows\software update servers will be hacked and distribute malicous updates

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Software downloads from reputable sites are very likely to be replaced with malicious downloads

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Malware can turn Windows\programs into zombie programs that will do malicious things

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • The internet is full of hidden malware that can get onto the system and execute undetected

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • Safe\legitimate programs can have hidden malicious code that lies-in-wait

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • Every single network packet is vulnerable\is a risk

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • My computer usage and online activies are being surveilled

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • All the programs I use are very likely to be exploited

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • All my money can be stolen right from within my bank's online banking portal

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Financial malware will breach my system without even being installed on the system

Votes: 28 37.3%

• Total voters

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I'm afraid of attacks which are irreversible
1/ all files being encrypted, no decrypting tool -> not really a problem for but annoying
2/ bank account and money being stolen

the rest, I don't care. I don't have anything to be stolen but bank account

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
I am intrigued by the last two options, i.e., the financial paranoias.

All I know when something goes wrong with my account I call my bank and have them charge it back. Don't see a risk there.

I don't really care about surveillance/privacy, that's something that people living in affluent Western democracies tend to worry about.

This one has me shaking my head. If you live in a non-democratic country and don't go conform with the way things are you better care a LOT about surveillance and privacy if you value life, limb or your family's well-being.

In Western democracies it's more of an abstract matter of principle / peace of mind that we afford ourselves to get angry about.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
I proudly introduce myself "part time semi-paranoid". :p
Actually all of those has possible to be happened. It's a cruel world anything is possible nowadays, or...not. So that's why I think there has a day I am pretty paranoid all of those but in the evening same day I am not.

Well, I am so bad try to describe me :d .
But if I try to explain those things more detailedly I leave it to in your MT member's imagination. ;) But I am ready for everything!! Come get some :lol:

Sorry, my bad English so I can't explain those things better. But like I say, I am ready! I wish you too!!

- BugCode

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I don't really know if i am paranoid or not. But if i have to select, there are 10 and i am worried about 5 of them.

01. Windows\software update servers will be hacked and distribute malicious update.
02. Software downloads from reputable sites are very likely to be replaced with malicious downloads.
04. The internet is full of hidden malwares that can get onto the system and execute undetected.
05. Safe\legitimate programs can have hidden malicious code that lies-in-wait.
10. Financial malware will breach my system without even being installed on the system.

I don't care about the rest of them. Or you can say i ignore them. :p:D

Regards.

Last edited:

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I have one obsesión. For example if i have a problema whith electricity and Computer forcé shutdown i think the system came unresponsive, unestable and unrecoverable, and inmediatily format my pc.
I have obsesion to do wrong clicks and trash my system
I think pop ups are viruses who stay sleep and undetectable on my pc

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I thought long & hard about whether to vote or not but eventually decided it was far too much of a security risk ~ :)

HAHAHA! that is amazing funny!

I am surprise how the top votes about privacy concerns, basing off the choices, privacy doesn't mean much when cybercriminals empty out your bank account or cause serious financial damage. =)

if Batpenguin is not longer a billlonaire, would he still be able to keep his privacy or secret identy? @DardiM what do you think? I love to hear mre of your utility belt sceanarios and see how you get out of it. =)

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
The reason why i posted i voted for all is because that's what a user will be scared of in today's tech.No im not scared of malware at all its just if someone had the chills about malware thats all.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm not paranoid on so many worst case scenarios.

We are already living in the internet with full of risks but for the interest on the topic, well I pick two important causes which will definitely connected to each other.

1) My computer usage and online activies are being surveilled
2) All the programs I use are very likely to be exploited

Reason: Global surveillance become an alarming issue, since typical computers maybe already transmit information without user awareness and once you connect in the internet then anyone can access even your sensitive information.

So many news are already been circulated like human error for not disabling like webcam when unused or connecting to unsecure network.

Since all programs are instructed with algorithms then possible to exploit and altered any configuration, which will act like zombie download malicious files on a server.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
This one has me shaking my head. If you live in a non-democratic country and don't go conform with the way things are you better care a LOT about surveillance and privacy if you value life, limb or your family's well-being.

In Western democracies it's more of an abstract matter of principle / peace of mind that we afford ourselves to get angry about.
for sure, dissidents living in oppressive regimes are much more than "concerned" about privacy -- it is a matter of life and death for them. For instance, an Tibetan activist living in China would be paranoid with very good reason.

But there are plenty of tolerant countries where privacy is not such a big issue with people.

Reactions: Svoll and Fritz

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.