What are paranoid users so afraid of ?

What are paranoid users so afraid of ?

• Windows\software update servers will be hacked and distribute malicous updates

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Software downloads from reputable sites are very likely to be replaced with malicious downloads

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Malware can turn Windows\programs into zombie programs that will do malicious things

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • The internet is full of hidden malware that can get onto the system and execute undetected

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • Safe\legitimate programs can have hidden malicious code that lies-in-wait

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • Every single network packet is vulnerable\is a risk

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • My computer usage and online activies are being surveilled

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • All the programs I use are very likely to be exploited

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • All my money can be stolen right from within my bank's online banking portal

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Financial malware will breach my system without even being installed on the system

Votes: 28 37.3%

• Total voters

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I think its interesting that (at the moment I wrote this), surveillance rather than worries about their money being stolen is a higher concern to people. I think privacy is a great concern and a human right. Its not that I am doing anything wrong, but the inference by the UK government's Snoopers Act that we are all suspect and need to be watched by Big Brother, just offends me, and I'll do my best to frustrate them. Mass Surveillance has no place in a free and democratic society, and its dubious it has any real effectiveness in stopping crime and terrorism. Its a sign of paranoia in a government - one that doesn't trust its own people
But the government wants people to believe that they need them, right? They want them to not trust themselves and be dependent so they can drag everybody else with them who is now forced to pay for their dependence.

Thread author
What is really interesting is what drives user paranoia. A lot of that paranoia arises from a lack of knowledge, incorrect or vastly inflated assumptions, basing decisions on mis-information, unintentional or intentional fear-mongering by IT security press, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
What is really interesting is what drives user paranoia. A lot of that paranoia arises from a lack of knowledge, incorrect or vastly inflated assumptions, basing decisions on mis-information, unintentional or intentional fear-mongering by IT security press, etc.
totally true.

not saying some don't even trust their own doing on their system...

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
How many of you have managed critical infrastructure in your life? None.

Have you any experience running systems for a large multi-national financial institutions/banks? None.

What about working in a university or protecting a major oil company in the Middle-East? No you haven't.

Your seriously telling people you can protect Windows systems in those situations I listed with only in built Windows tools? Seriously?

That day may come in about 25 years when you only need Windows in built tools but in today's climate you still need other vendors security tools to keep malware free. Saying you should only use Windows tools and using any 3rd party tools are for the super paranoid is bad advice. Telling people to uninstall Kaspersky or Norton or Bitdefender and stop being paranoid and only rely on Windows will only result in more malware infections not less.

Reactions: Fritz

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

Have you any experience running systems for a large multi-national financial institutions/banks? None.

What about working in a university or protecting a major oil company in the Middle-East? No you haven't.

Your seriously telling people you can protect Windows systems in those situations I listed with only in built Windows tools? Seriously?

That day may come in about 25 years when you only need Windows in built tools but in today's climate you still need other vendors security tools to keep malware free. Saying you should only use Windows tools and using any 3rd party tools are for the super paranoid is bad advice. Telling people to uninstall Kaspersky or Norton or Bitdefender and stop being paranoid and only rely on Windows will only result in more malware infections not less.
the idea of relying primarily on native windows security features is for educated and cautious home users who don't have special needs.
The corporate situations you mentioned will have to use a more sophisticated solution, as you said.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

That day may come in about 25 years when you only need Windows in built tools but in today's climate you still need other vendors security tools to keep malware free.

In my early years 2011 , i worked in a school (200+ machines) and help the IT manager/admin which is also an IT teacher and ex-NASA, guess what ? no 3rd party security apps were used. Only Win7 Ent with Applocker/SRP/group policy and Norton Ghost (as fail-safe) and still now, they upgraded to Win10 Enterprise and are very happy with it, and yes still not using 3rd party softs.

I knew an Chief IT who fought his CEO to remove a 3rd party famous vendor because the softwares caused more issues than good on his networks.

Big Corporations don't use Win10 Home, they use Win10 Enterprise; where you get Group Policy, Applocker and an arsenal of security features designed to lock employees' workstation nullifying the need of 3rd party vendors softwares.
Symantec and Sophos are those "popular vendors who emerge not because their software solutions but for their hardware-based solutions.
Those huge corporations are focused on securing their networks with hardware (Hardware FW , honeypots, virtualized servers, etc...) not softwares and even less Kasperky or BD lol.

Huge corporations dont use classic vendors, they have tailor-made softs from vendors mostly unknown to the general public.
One example is Blue Ridge Network, many government agencies in US are using a tailored version of Appguard.

Saying you should only use Windows tools and using any 3rd party tools are for the super paranoid is bad advice. Telling people to uninstall Kaspersky or Norton or Bitdefender and stop being paranoid and only rely on Windows will only result in more malware infections not less.

who said that? We say to every users "keep the native security and if you still feel unsecure, add whatever you want , but most important , have safe habits"

the idea of relying primarily on native windows security features is for educated and cautious home users who don't have special needs.
The corporate situations you mentioned will have to use a more sophisticated solution, as you said.
Exact , we are in a Home user forum. not a corporate-oriented one.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
who said that? We say to every users "keep the native security and if you still feel unsecure, add whatever you want , but most important , have safe habits"

Your message on security forums is very clear "don't use 3rd party security apps and only use Windows in built tools".

That advice is wrong and misleading. Telling people to abandoned Kaspersky or Norton or Bitdefender is just plain bad advice.

SRA/AppLocker are not even used in large enterprise and can not seriously be seen as consumer grade security protection tools.

Big Corporations don't use Windows 10 Home, they use Windows 10 Enterprise; where you get Group Policy, Applocker and an arsenal of security features designed to lock employees' workstation nullifying the need of 3rd party vendors softwares.

How can yous seriously say that with a straight face? Every large enterprise uses 3rd party vendor software to secure it's network.

Snort to Suricata to Bromium to Cylance to CrowdStrike to CarbonBlack to Cisco to Palo Alto to Fortinet to Checkpoint to BlueCoat.

They are all 3rd party software apps vendors and are heavily used in enterprise and are not Windows tools.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Your message on security forums is very clear "don't use 3rd party security apps and only use Windows in built tools".

then, learn how to read... if you even read my setup , you won't even say that...you are just a newcommer here , you don't know me and most of all :

i promote safe habits and hassleless security model, which will avoid trouble to most users.

Just by this post of yours, i won't even waste time to discuss with you... indeed you deserve 100% your name...

How can yous seriously say that with a straight face? Every large enterprise uses 3rd party vendor software to secure it's network.

again learn to read , and check my other posts , thx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vemn

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015

Speak for yourself.

...unless infrastructure (Internet, radio, satellite, fixed and tactical comms) necessary for operations, defense, survival whilst getting shelled and shot at whilst defending against the largest populated country in the world leveraging that population to continuously attack your network and it's users doesn't count..?

What about large, multi-national coalition forces?

Yes, I have.

The box itself, mostly but with specialized/purpose-specific security software, not the suites you mention. The network, no; there are appliances for that.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Sorry Offtopic!
eb00598687.gif

Sana

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
Hmmm, well if I were so paranoid as a home user, I'd just password protect my Admin account and use the Guest account :D

IMO, This is not an advice!
Well all I can say is if I got a very restricted setting on Windows (Pro version) and won't be installing random stuff from unknown/unsigned sources, I'd say I can ditch my AV/Malware etc.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Hmmm, well if I were so paranoid as a home user, I'd just password protect my Admin account and use the Guest account :D

in fact it is what you should do :p just kidding, SUA is enough to have a balance between security & usability.

Well all I can say is if I got a very restricted setting on Windows (Pro version) and won't be installing random stuff from unknown/unsigned sources, I'd say I can ditch my AV/Malware etc.
My whole point, if you know your system enough and feel secure with it, so just go with it.
What i can't tolerate is the systematic bashing of Windows' native security (or other products) by pointing careless behaviors as a base criteria.

Windows' native security is like a police bullet-proof vest , it protect you against basic rounds, not reinforced ones, and you will not put yourself on a land mine or in the trajectory of a tank's canon bombshell...

vemn

Level 6
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 11, 2017
*opens Incognito Tab*
*Nice... I think I'm not being tracked of what I'm going to surf now..... *

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.