What are paranoid users so afraid of ?

What are paranoid users so afraid of ?

• Windows\software update servers will be hacked and distribute malicous updates

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Software downloads from reputable sites are very likely to be replaced with malicious downloads

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Malware can turn Windows\programs into zombie programs that will do malicious things

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • The internet is full of hidden malware that can get onto the system and execute undetected

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • Safe\legitimate programs can have hidden malicious code that lies-in-wait

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • Every single network packet is vulnerable\is a risk

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • My computer usage and online activies are being surveilled

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • All the programs I use are very likely to be exploited

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • All my money can be stolen right from within my bank's online banking portal

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Financial malware will breach my system without even being installed on the system

Votes: 28 37.3%

• Total voters

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
I think its interesting that (at the moment I wrote this), surveillance rather than worries about their money being stolen is a higher concern to people. I think privacy is a great concern and a human right. Its not that I am doing anything wrong, but the inference by the UK government's Snoopers Act that we are all suspect and need to be watched by Big Brother, just offends me, and I'll do my best to frustrate them. Mass Surveillance has no place in a free and democratic society, and its dubious it has any real effectiveness in stopping crime and terrorism. Its a sign of paranoia in a government - one that doesn't trust its own people

Last edited:

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I picked : All my money can be stolen right from within my bank's online banking portal & Financial malware will breach my system without even being installed on the system.

Can't have all my hard earned money working at Jack in the Box as a hungry college student vanished....

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am intrigued by the last two options, i.e., the financial paranoias.
how do those exploits work? Without malware getting on your system, what's the hack?
I assume the first financial paranoia is all about stealing login credentials.
But what about the second one?

I don't really care about surveillance/privacy, that's something that people living in affluent Western democracies tend to worry about.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Only "Software downloads from reputable sites are very likely to be replaced with malicious downloads".
I think i have the others covered or it's improbable to happen.

EDIT: I assume you mean what we are still paranoid about and not in general. I went with the first because a paranoid user will probably be afraid of all when you mention them :D

Last edited:

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
...."losing all my private files": every user has a lot of stuff on his hard drives..... . Saved mails (with important informations),
scanned documents, logins to websites, private photos, private videos, private text documents, private letters, etc, etc,
tons of 'unique' files that can't be replaced.
losing all this data should be quite horrible.....

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Only "Software downloads from reputable sites are very likely to be replaced with malicious downloads".
I think i have the others covered or it's improbable to happen.

EDIT: I assume you mean what we are still paranoid about and not in general. I went with the first because a paranoid user will probably be afraid of all when you mention them :D
there is a trick in the wording of many of these choices, such as the one that you ticked, for instance. Most people don't think that these downloads are "very" likely to be hacked. It is something that happens so rarely that it is a newsworthy event when it happens.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
All but the first two, but I don't think it's paranoia. All of these possibilities are why we try hard to secure our system(s).

Ranking the concerns, I would say-
1. My computer usage and online activities are being surveilled
2. Safe\legitimate programs can have hidden malicious code that lies-in-wait (as long as safe\legitimate means user deemed safe\legitimate-otherwise it would be a malicious program and not legitimate. This is for those programs with no signature or that are untrusted by security software but user chooses to trust)
3. All my money can be stolen right from within my bank's online banking portal
4. Financial malware will breach my system without even being installed on the system
5. The internet is full of hidden malware that can get onto the system and execute undetected

What are paranoid users afraid of? Well...maybe they aren't really paranoid after all, cuz you see...maybe THEY are out to get them :D

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
there is a trick in the wording of many of these choices, such as the one that you ticked, for instance. Most people don't think that these downloads are "very" likely to be hacked. It is something that happens so rarely that it is a newsworthy event when it happens.
Correct, i missed the very in the sentence which mean i have nothing to worry. Changed my selection.

EDIT: Can't select no option so i can't change my selection.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I'm not really paranoid, but if I'm obliged to choose one from the list, then I would choose 'My computer usage and online activities are being surveilled". Why? because that's something you don't really choose yourself in some cases. Your ISP collects information about your surfing habits, the AV that is scanning your system and upload things to the cloud are services you need to trust, but that you are never sure about where your data goes to. Same with the ULRs that you are visiting, they scan them, but do they keep track of them in a database? Social media is collecting and even calculating and predicting lots of stuff about you, even without account, you would be shocked what facebook for example already knows about you. Coockies keep information and spread it out. Search engines keep track of what you searched, based on your IP and I guess everyone can easily add more things to that list. Of course you choose what you give away but in any way, connecting to the internet means giving data away about yourself.
The others are things that you can - partially or at least try to - avoid. When the MS Servers will be hacked (possible of course, but that would take some effort), your AV can protect you against it. Same with the malicious downloads from sites, the exploits and the behaviour of those programs after running them on your machine. A good first defense against malware should do it, but like some people don't exaggerate in this and don't install every single software that tends to protect you from this and that. You really don't need 10 different kinds of software running in realtime, they can only confilict and cause more damage than needed. And most of them sounds better than they really protect.
The option I really don't understand is "Every single network packet is a risk". If you are really that paranoid you can better pull your network cable out of the wall and throw your computer in the trash. You can compare that by staying in your house your whole life because you are afraid to have a traffic accident.
About the last two, the financial malware on your system is in the same category that I talked about earlier. And the stolen money, if you do safe banking on a safe system, you shouldn't need to worry every minute that your money is going to be stolen.
If you don't click on every single thing on the internet and don't surf to shady sites, that should cover you already a lot. A good security suite will help you with that. You can't be 100% sure all the time of course. But we also don't have a magic medicine that we only take once and that protect us our whole life against every single disease and does that mean that every minute we have to worry about becomming very ill?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not Paranoid.

I protect my system(s) with security as standard and use knowledge to protect my identity online and in reality.

Data stored on company servers are out of my control, but if breached, I would take necessary measures to secure my ID from outside threats. Examples below:

2010/2011 PSN Data Breach - Contacted Bank to renew/replace my Card
Avast Forum Breach - Changed Email and Password credentials
"I am going to hack you!" - Changed to System-Generated Password with 2 Factor Authentication enabled and removed Trusted Devices

We take precautions as we see fit, but being paranoid is a whole new level of [hidden]. Don't forget malicious software is just code, it can be created or destroyed. Security Breaches occur every day.

Details are limited as some may be offended, but all views are my own.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.