What are paranoid users so afraid of ?

What are paranoid users so afraid of ?

• Windows\software update servers will be hacked and distribute malicous updates

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Software downloads from reputable sites are very likely to be replaced with malicious downloads

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Malware can turn Windows\programs into zombie programs that will do malicious things

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • The internet is full of hidden malware that can get onto the system and execute undetected

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • Safe\legitimate programs can have hidden malicious code that lies-in-wait

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • Every single network packet is vulnerable\is a risk

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • My computer usage and online activies are being surveilled

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • All the programs I use are very likely to be exploited

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • All my money can be stolen right from within my bank's online banking portal

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Financial malware will breach my system without even being installed on the system

Votes: 28 37.3%

• Total voters

Thread author
If anyone has not surmised by now, the whole point of the exercise was to demonstrate that paranoid users are, well, paranoid - even when the risk is extremely low or essentially non-existent.

There are three categories of potential threats - theoretical, hypothetical and realistic. Paranoid users want to protect against all three - even those in the realm of fantasy.

If one lives under an oppressive regime, then I would suspect that paranoia would be a part of day-to-day living - which is natural for most people under such circumstances.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If anyone has not surmised by now, the whole point of the exercise was to demonstrate that paranoid users are, well, paranoid - even when the risk is extremely low or essentially non-existent.

There are three categories of potential threats - theoretical, hypothetical and realistic. Paranoid users want to protect against all three - even those in the realm of fantasy.

If one lives under an oppressive regime, then I would suspect that paranoia would be a part of day-to-day living - which is natural for most people under such circumstances.
well said.

Reactions: roger_m and Svoll

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
for sure, dissidents living in oppressive regimes are much more than "concerned" about privacy -- it is a matter of life and death for them. For instance, an Tibetan activist living in China would be paranoid with very good reason.

But there are plenty of tolerant countries where privacy is not such a big issue with people.

Thank you for clarifying @shmu26, that's exactly what I meant.

Reactions: shmu26 and Svoll

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016

=) this was a fun and interesting topic, Thanks! This also shows the difference of how people value certain things.Poor students like me value Money over all else, People with money care about certain aspects. etc.... Oppressive regime, well, they have a whole different ballpark they play in.

Reactions: shmu26 and Fritz

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
I still don't agree with being diagnosed as a paranoiac for being vigilant. Paranoia is a mental illness and while an opressive government may further relevant tendencies, it doesn't mean that people are sick in general because they apply a degree of discreetness.

There are two things about online life I've learned so far:

1. What can be done, will be done.
2. What's on the internet, stays on the internet.

Either one of those tells me to be mindful about information that tells others who I am and what I do, current conditions aside.

Thread author
I still don't agree with being diagnosed as a paranoiac for being vigilant. Paranoia is a mental illness and while an opressive government may further relevant tendencies, it doesn't mean that people are sick in general because they apply a degree of discreetness.

There are two things about online life I've learned so far:

1. What can be done, will be done.
2. What's on the internet, stays on the internet.

Either one of those tells me to be mindful about information that tells others who I am and what I do, current conditions aside.

No one is being diagnosed a paranoid. The term "paranoid" is used generically within the IT security industry.

Products like Bitdefender and COMODO even use the terminology right within their products' GUIs: "Paranoid Mode" in Bitdefender enables firewall alerts and in COMODO it makes the HIPS module alert to every single action on the system.

The key point - which is at the very heart of this whole thing - is that there are those that worry it will snow heavily in the Sahara desert, at mid-day, during the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
One thing people should know:

You have control over Privacy: just don't post your life & sensitive infos (or at least don't use your real name) on internet, nobody will use it against you. Very inconvenient this day for sure but possible.
You have no control over security: unless never going on internet , you are a potential victim to malwares & intrusions, the only thing you can do is protect yourself but you will not "erase" the threat.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Paranoia is a healthy natural human emotion. It keeps us safe from external threats.

Paranoid balances out the adrenaline and dopamine in our brain chemistry. It's a biological safeguard to keep you alive.

It's gotten better in society since the Snowden leaks. Our fellow tin foil hat wearing folk have been somewhat vindicated.

Malware/Zero day's/Exploits are only going to advance in complexity in the future. What can't be done today, will be done tomorrow.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The key point - which is at the very heart of this whole thing - is that there are those that worry it will snow heavily in the Sahara desert, at mid-day, during the summer.
The more paranoid you are, the less you need a tight security config, because you will naturally be careful. The exception is an IT professional trying to protect a company or government network with a bunch of users who couldn't care less.

Reactions: Zero Knowledge

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The more paranoid you are, the less you need a tight security config, because you will naturally be careful. The exception is an IT professional trying to protect a company or government network with a bunch of users who couldn't care less.
In my case, I'm not even the slightest bit paranoid, but am careful about what I let run on my computers, and have anything but a tight security config. I know that if I'm careful about what I do, then it's extremely rare for my computers to get infected. If anything drastic goes wrong, I have backups. I want my security to be as unobtrusive as possible, so that I can use my computers without being limited or constantly notified by my security setup.

I think that in general paranoid people are the ones who are going to do their best to lock down their systems and continually tweak their security setup to make it more secure.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I was going to make a thread called "Why do Paranoid users install Multiple AV and 10 layers of Security software?", then I saw this thread.

Even though it doesn't really answer any questions. It's hilarious to read the comments, see them installing over 10 layers of security and yet paranoid about Doubleclick Cookie being flagged by their Security software. :eek:

Security isn't a joke, but going OTT is. :D

Thread author
I was going to make a thread called "Why do Paranoid users install Multiple AV and 10 layers of Security software?", then I saw this thread.

Even though it doesn't really answer any questions. It's hilarious to read the comments, see them installing over 10 layers of security and yet paranoid about Doubleclick Cookie being flagged by their Security software. :eek:

Security isn't a joke, but going OTT is. :D

I think it arises from the instinct to protect oneself combined with a lack of knowledge. The end result is overkill - and protection against misperceived\non-existent threats.

"I have to go to a knife fight, but I'm gonna bring a knife and a 500 kilo RDX bomb and detonate it..."

"Every pixel on my screen is malicious... every network packet is dangerous... I'm gonna install Kaspersky, Sandboxie, Shadow Defender, HMP.A, Voodooshield, Webroot and use Emsisoft Emergency Kit, HitmanPro, Malwarebytes, Macrium Reflect and Rollback RX. " :D

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
the steps of the classic security average non-IT members:

1- they are mostly ignorant , then they get infected in some point.
2- they start google why , how, and what is needed to clean the infection.
3- they find a forum answering those questions.
4- they discover a new world , the world of the security geeks with marvelous artifacts they never heard before : sandbox, HIPS, BB, anti-exe, anti-exploits, virtualization !!!!
5- they start stockpiling dozen of security apps to be sure they won't get infected anymore; but they got BSODs, because they did it without listening some advices from more knowledgeable members.
6- they compete with other members to see who has the strongest setup.
7- after a while they realize that all those apps make their system crawling. they ditch some of their apps and focus on few ones. At this point they select a favored products and may defend it against heretics !! (they often fall under the influence of the false God Melhi and his sect called Comodo ).
8- after a while, some emerge from this propanganda , looking how to be the most secure without hampering their system.
9- after some research they manage to discover an unbelievable truth that shook their beliefs to the core : you can be safe without using any 3rd party security products !!! at beginning they don't believe it, it cant be !!!!
10- they then start looking if this so-called truth is real or is an hoax ; in some points they found some writings made by a mysterious user called Umbra, that seems to know quite a lot about this theory...
11- finally they manage to find Umbra, and after some conversation with him, decided to follow him and his principles: instead of learning how to use 3rd party apps, they learn how to use their system...
12- now they gain the ultimate truth, they enjoy their system without fear...

:D

Thread author
the steps of the classic security average non-IT members:

1- they are mostly ignorant , then they get infected in some point.
2- they start google why , how, and what is needed to clean the infection.
3- they find a forum answering those questions.
4- they discover a new world , the world of the security geeks with marvelous artifacts they never heard before : sandbox, HIPS, BB, anti-exe, anti-exploits, virtualization !!!!
5- they start stockpiling dozen of security apps to be sure they won't get infected anymore; but they got BSODs, because they did it without listening some advices from more knowledgeable members.
6- they compete with other members to see who has the strongest setup.
7- after a while they realize that all those apps make their system crawling. they ditch some of their apps and focus on few ones. At this point they select a favored products and may defend it against heretics !! (they often fall under the influence of the false God Melhi and his sect called Comodo ).
8- after a while, some emerge from this propanganda , looking how to be the most secure without hampering their system.
9- after some research they manage to discover an unbelievable truth that shook their beliefs to the core : you can be safe without using any 3rd party security products !!! at beginning they don't believe it, it cant be !!!!
10- they then start looking if this so-called truth is real or is an hoax ; in some points they found some writings made by a mysterious user called Umbra, that seems to know quite a lot about this theory...
11- finally they manage to find Umbra, and after some conversation with him, decided to follow him and his principles: instead of learning how to use 3rd party apps, they learn how to use their system...
12- now they gain the ultimate truth, they enjoy their system without fear...

:D

That's funny - with a lot of reality in it.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
@Umbra Can't be the only one using built-in security app. So this is a little inaccurate. Also, you haven't considered if the person was a robot thereby use of exclamation points for those few would be totally inaccurate since robots don't have emotions.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Umbra answered a few, for to my real reason for wanting to ask, "What do paranoid users do on their computer, that's so different to the average user"?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.