Serious Discussion What are reputable antivirus products with the least performance impact?

Mar 10, 2024
Not just during scans, my PC can not handle Defender at all, I can literally see icons loading one by one, lagging, it is the only AV, which causes it.
You got something else going on then, because your pc specs state it should be flying. That's way more power then a laptop here that functions absolutely fast with windows defaults.

Victor M

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
It's a general question irrespective of specs.
For example, Defender is known to have high disk usage during scans.
Poor choice for a question to ask. Everybody will give replies with observations based on their own specific PC. Performance is specific. You can gather some samples from tests like the av-comparatives performance test link given above. But you cannot apply the test result and think you will get the same result. Similarly you can gather opinions from users of MT, and summarize them yourself, but it won't accurately give you a 'general' answer. You need statistical measurements and numbers to answer your question, and nobody I know does that kind of testing and measurement. You require a range of PC classes, plus using multiple configurations, plus a lot of measured samples, then statistically summarize the results, in order to achieve a Usable Answer. Anything less is Waste of Effort. I am no master of statistic calculations, but I do recognize when the approach is required.

Go attend university.

Last edited:

Spartan

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2019
Not just during scans, my PC can not handle Defender at all, I can literally see icons loading one by one, lagging, it is the only AV, which causes it.
100% the same experience on all my systems, icons load one by one with Defender and this is how it's been for years!

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

monkeylove

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Like really low cpu and hard disk usage, also low ram.
The computer should be fast and feel like new.

You can test by installing an AV, using NovaBench and use the computer to see how fast it is, and then complete uninstall and try another AV, and so on. To keep the number small, consider only AV with the best protection and usability.

If you have no time to test, try AV Comparatives, which was mentioned earlier.

For free versions, it shows that the top ones for the latter two are usually Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, and Kaspersky. For those with the most features, it's Avast, AVG, and Kaspersky. I tested those three and found Kaspersky the lightest.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Uninstalling and reinstalling number of different AVs is not recommended as even cleanup tools don’t remove all remnants.
This can lead to anything, from BSODs to degradation of system performance.

It is recommended to do your research.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Uninstalling and reinstalling number of different AVs is not recommended as even cleanup tools don’t remove all remnants.
Quoting you again just to prove you right. I tried to cheat, but those remnants did not even let me to test the next AV.

capture_05092024_143406.jpg

360 Total Security
Adaware
Panda
After 2 years I have finally retested common free AVs and I must redact my previous statement and I can only recommend 360 TSE as performance AV.
Adaware no longer exists as AV. Bitdefender, Panda and ZoneAlarm failed to install. Avast had some issues, but it's brother AVG is pretty much the same.

capture_05092024_140429.jpgcapture_05092024_144722.jpgcapture_05092024_145943.jpgcapture_05092024_151612.jpg

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Kaspersky and ESET are usually the lightest.

Although my Kaspersky product lately has been a bit crazy, taking up to 20% CPU and 300MB in short periods of times, like for 30 seconds. It might not be the russian's company fault though, I've been planning on reinstalling Windows 11 since I never did a clean install, I just updated from Windows 10.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Kaspersky and ESET are usually the lightest.

Although my Kaspersky product lately has been a bit crazy, taking up to 20% CPU and 300MB in short periods of times, like for 30 seconds. It might not be the russian's company fault though, I've been planning on reinstalling Windows 11 since I never did a clean install, I just updated from Windows 10.
Hey Robo..
I have just done a direct comparison between Eset and Kaspersky. Kaspersky is crazy fast compared too it's old versions, but Eset is still the lightest. I have swapped NOD 32 to Internet Security, and I can still not feel it. But they are both great AV''s. Kaspersky is probably a hair better than Eset, but IRL I think they are close to same results. Especially with Eset Internet security as opposed to NOD 32.

lokamoka820

Level 2
Mar 1, 2024

It is recommended to do your research.
I tried number of different AVs on my machine before, should I do a clean install, or just if I face something wrong?

Reactions: Trident
Mar 10, 2024
If you face something wrong…
I'm not one to wait until I face something wrong, if you already know there's been several applications applied and tried, it would be best to do a clean install before the next. If you tried the next, and ran into issue, how would you know if it's the products fault or issues from file corruption and leftovers?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.