Advice Request What Are Your Prefered Second Opinion Malware Scanner/Scanners?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hi, Folks.
What Second opinion malware scanners have you on your system?
I have Norton Power Eraser+Emsisoft Emergency Kit & HitmanPro.
If you suspect that the computer is infected, then a good method is using the AV live CD (like Kaspersky Rescue Disk). It has the advantage that the malware is not active while scanning.

Edit.
Another advantage is that you do not need to start a possibly infected Windows system.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
The old statement still works to be true: "Better safe than sorry" ;)

I'm using once per month: HitmanPro (free), Norton Power Eraser, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, ESET online scanner.

If the system is also compromised, a second opinion scanner wouldn't work - if the malware is not from a script kiddy. Only live medium scanner works as real second opinion, which works without active running OS
Who said something like that? such pseudo experts always believe to be true but that is no real fact rather just another opinion ;)

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
If the system is also compromised, a second opinion scanner wouldn't work - if the malware is not from a script kiddy. Only live medium scanner works as real second opinion, which works without active running OS
@silversurfer is right - in most cases, there will be not much difference in detection between second opinion scanner on Windows as compared to using a live CD. Second opinion scanners could find out the infection traces many times on Malware Hub (even for sophisticated malware).
Anyway, there are rare kinds of malware that can make a difference in the postinfection stage (rootkits, malware that uses anti-hooking, malware that can block/restrict Internet access, hide Registry keys, etc.). Furthermore, disinfection can be more comprehensive when using a Live CD.(y)

Edit.
There are some advantages to scan files when the system is running. For example, some malware can remove the traces before the system is closed, and start the infection chain after reboot.

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Keep in mind that VBS/worm infections are very prevalent and of the scanners mentioned above neither MB. HMP, nor EEK are particularly effective (almost not effective) in detecting/eradicating either the initial infection or the persistence mechanism.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Keep in mind that VBS/worm infections are very prevalent and of the scanners mentioned above neither MB. HMP, nor EEK are particularly effective (almost not effective) in detecting/eradicating either the initial infection or the persistence mechanism.
What would be your recommendation for 1 or 2 second opinion scanners?

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
What would be your recommendation for 1 or 2 second opinion scanners?
Without a doubt KVRT as a second, but I have to say that with regard to worm infections NPE has really improved, so I can't mock it anymore.MB has always been iffy at best, and since the Lomen boys split from HMP I haven't been aware of any intrinsic improvements.

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
  • Malwarebytes Free
  • Hitman pro free

Since eset online scanner has been mentioned quite a few times I thought I would give it a try, but unfortunately the GUI seems to be missing text. Anyone have any hints/tips for this issue?

Attachments

• eset.png
    eset.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 223

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The second opinion scanner is often used to check the files before executing/opening them. Of course, it is always better to do such a scan before executing something, but one should not think that this can reduce much the risk of infection (especially when one has a good AV with behavior-based detections in the cloud). :(

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows itself also run every month their own second opinion scanner which is called MRT.exe

Not true. MSRT isn't a second opinion scanner, it does compliment your RTP, but not able to find all other known malware/adware as 3p offerings.

MSRT can only find and reverse a limited number of most common known malware.

A second opinion scanner can be manually used to scan downloaded files, prior to installation, therefore able to prevent an malware infection should the file be flagged.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yes, mrt.exe can be run "on-demand" as opposed to the traditional method of monthly downloading and running upon restart. But as a second-opinion scanner, no, I would not use it in that capacity, because of the static signatures. Plus, mrt.exe will be deprecated to only four times a year,( my understanding,) instead of every month.

This info is on the Wilders Security Forum's "Bork Tuesday" thread. Many 2ndop. scanners listed already are very useful and beneficial, my opinion. Norton Power Eraser in particular is impressive in dealing with false-positives. (y)

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I never had to restore a system to a clean image because of a nasty infection but I have lost count how many times I have restored my system to a clean state because of windows 10 updates, windows errors etc. I find windows more destructive than any other malwares. I am still waiting for a second opinion scanner which can remove ms windows from my system.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.