Advice Request What do you think of these 'SECURE FOLDERS'?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
@cruelsister claims otherwise:
As I already had the setup in place, I installed SecureFolders:

1). I made 5 identical folders with various stuff inside
2). 4 of the folders were protected by a different SF mechanism (Hidden, Lock, Read Only, No Execution). The 5th was unprotected to act as a control.
3). I ran the malware.
4). The Control fell (needless to say) on the first sample. All of the others fell by the 4th.

As it looks like it is not being developed anymore it really isn't worthy of a video. But I can assure you that the protected folders are anything but secure.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Any alternative you guys know of for this app which is being updated and have the no execution feature? And with GUI :p
I still use Secure Folders for denying execution of applications and denying read/write permissions for folders. I think it's fine for both those things; just don't rely on it for any kind of ransomware protection.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I still use Secure Folders for denying execution of applications and denying read/write permissions for folders. I think it's fine for both those things; just don't rely on it for any kind of ransomware protection.
I don't use it for security as well, only for denying execution and hiding files. But I still would like to have something thats being updated.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Secure folders site is dead and from what I know there ain't any more development. @Av Gurus made a video of the same software 2016. IMO you shouldn't use it all.
And he wrote as a comment
"This one great FREE program which can help to protect your files from various types of Ransomware."
I think it can be under some circumstances (e.g. not including Explorer.exe to WL) a good companion to other security app especialy with specific settings (mainly thanks to @Windows_Security Security). Here SF was discussed on Wilders
Secure Folders to protect folders (and use as anti-executable)
Easy security for anti-exploit & anti-ransomware
Safe_Admin finally it is there
Trialing Locked Admin

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Have a look at Easy File Locker from the developer who took over Shadow Defender: XOSLAB.COM His website was updated in 2016, so I don´t know how it behaves with latest Windows 10 release (I used it on Windows 7 in 2018).
I have used it because of one of your posts long ago, probably the best alternative with GUI but doesn't have deny execution feature.

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
What the heck is this software? Never heard of it. Can of of you guys give me some more info, please?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.