Advice Request What download manager you are using and Why?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What is the download manager solution you are using and why ??

• Internet Download Manager (idm)

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • Free Download Manager

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Ant Download Manager

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other (please mention it)

Votes: 9 19.1%

• Total voters

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
So, it's better not to use it for now? It does work on Windows 11 very well.
I eagletget portable for simple downloads. If it can't download something (usually videos), I switch to other downloader (Free download manager now)

I have tried many DMs but eagleget suits me the most. I feel other DMs can't compare to EG in terms of speed and consistency

there are a few links, when I use other DMs, the speed is not much different from chrome's built-in downloader. With EG, somehow, it boosts to a much better speed, not super fast but acceptable
the ones I tested includes free download manager, uGet, ninja, xtreme, Ant, downthemall, chrono, http downloader

I'm impressed with Ant download manager speed but the GUI... The worst I have seen

gigi64

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 14, 2012
I liked Ant Download Manager it Vey Fast, but every time I wanted to download something like a video from YouTube
It splits the video into many small part in the desktop screen !!!! and cover all entire desktop screen until the download is complete and all the files become one file!

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I am using ADM, got the PRO version as a Giveaway of the Day a while ago and I really like it so far. :) ( But that is my opinion. )
Did you try IDM before ? if yes what is your opinion of ADM compared to it as a performance ??
Edit 1 : as I see it Android app and need android emulator to work in PC

Reactions: [correlate]

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I before use other also IDM cracked, but now use IDM licensed have it 5 years and never think for use other download manager again.
yes it is superior in this field . i also buy lifetime license however free updated are limited to 3 years so i may need to upgrade so i am asking if there is other better solution bet it seems not

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
I've had Free Download Manager installed for years but can't recall the last time I bothered using it. I think I chose FDM because it could handle torrents and I needed that feature at the time. Browsers' own basic downloaders work well enough even for very large files if its not time critical.

djsolidsnake86

Dec 12, 2021
Win-W-Get portable. It's primitive but gets the job done. WinWGet+ Portable (Download manager) | PortableApps.com
it preallocate space?

there is an great explanation on quora but I can't find it anymore
basically, it means that IDM downloads file parts and store them randomly on the disk. After the download is finished, IDM joins those parts and causes extremely high disk usage (only noticeable with large files), similarly to defragging your SSD/HDD -> bad for your SSD

with other downloaders, for example, the good old Eagleget, the file is pre-allocated on the disk and file parts are downloaded to that specific allocated spaces. Therefore, after the download is done, there is no need to join or the joining process can't not be felt because nothing is moving

I just downloaded a 12GB file with xtreme download manager. My laptop was unusable during the file joining/assembling. The SSD usage was 100% -> uninstalled
can you write all downloaders that pre allocate files?

Reactions: [correlate]

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I'm now using IDM as my main download manager, and it's working much better than Internet Download Accelerator.

I've found that it does have the option to check for updates to existing downloads, which I thought only IDA and FlashGet had.

I'm still using IDA and FlashGet to check for updates for hundreds of installers. It will take a long time to eventually copy and paste the download links into IDM.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
there are other download manager that pre allocate parts, like eagle get?
neat download manager
free download manager?

I don't download big files frequently but I saw neat download manager merged file super quickly -> maybe it pre-allocated parts

xtreme download manager took very long time -> I'm 80% sure it didn't pre-allocated

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.