Advice Request What extensions would you recommend?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Enzo

Thread author
Aug 24, 2015
Hi everyone,

First of all excuse me if the subject has already been discussed before.

My question is intended to know what extensions you would recommend, differentiating by categories (security, privacy, utilities, etc.)

In this regard, I have seen in the forum topics intended to discuss recommended extensions to block advertising, or as much respect security, but I think it would be good to create a thread with the extensions to consider according to their function.

All this derives because in Chrome and Firefox I have multiple extensions that are sure to be unnecessary, repetitive or worse than other options.

I thank you in advance for any suggestions you make and I reiterate that an "official" thread on recommended extensions would be fine.

Thanks again.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Personally, I equip my browser to keep it as simple as possible. At the moment:
  • uBlock Origin (several ads, tracking and privacy lists - MALWARE & SPAM lists disabled)
  • BitDefender TrafficLight (disable check engine searches)
As an extra, these are really light:
  • PopUp Blocker strict (to avoid redirection and popups)
  • Universal Bypass (to avoid paid shorteners like adfly and similar, just makes you go straight to the original link source)
My antivirus solution (KIS2020) has the "web injection" and "scan encrypted sites" OFF.

To be honest, my browsing is super fast and light, plus it's secured and addless.

Last edited by a moderator:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
People that use a VPN and unless are 100% sure that the browser/s is not leaking ones local IP, almost any WebRTC leak protection extension is highly recommended.

Other then that a password manager I guess. Rest already been mentioned in this thread. Just make sure as with any extension or app, what permissions is actually granted and used and also try to stick with those that gets frequently updated.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've been looking at extensions anyway this last day or so & uploaded system specs - No offence intended to Emsisoft whatsoever but I've had that extension on for a year or so & as it's hidden tend to forget it's there but not one time has it shown any alerts, either I'm a super safe surfer or it's not that good? :cool:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I've been looking at extensions anyway this last day or so & uploaded system specs - No offence intended to Emsisoft whatsoever but I've had that extension on for a year or so & as it's hidden tend to forget it's there but not one time has it shown any alerts, either I'm a super safe surfer or it's not that good? :cool:
You have the control group of Google Safe Browsing to determine that.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
1. harden browser , firefox = about:config , chromium based = chrome:/Flags

2. extensions, first one is definitely adblocker ...nowadays its either ublock origin or AdGuard (Desktop or extension)
Adguard extension in my opinion is better than ublock origin ( normal mode) you can enable as much filters as you like without having to worry about overlapping filters that cause them not to work

Second is password manager , bitwarden, lastpass whatever you find most comfy

and lastly security extension or web filter of antivirus software , > netcraft , malwarebytes browser guard or bitdefender trafficlight

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I use Skip Redirect for that.
Universal Bypass does more than redirecting. It usually gets you pass those timer than you may often see while downloading stuff but you would rarely come to such a site where it'll be used. And for redirecting use ClearURLs instead. It does what Skip Redirect does and a lot more. Enable log of ClearURL then test yourself or browse sites for few hours then check the log.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
No addon needed. Just disable WebRTC

KeePass. Local/ Offline is most secure solution.

This and JavaScript management like with uMatrix or uBlock Origin medium (or higher) mode.

Edit: I wonder why so many people here increase attack surface with "security" addons which mostly even break the TLS security.
The add-ons don't break TLS, it's the root certificates some vendors use that can break TLS.
I never heard of an attack with these security add-ons, just pick one from a reputable vendor that is regularly updated, but only if it adds something to your current security setup. The KISS principle still applies.

Mountainking

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2018
The only extension I would recommend and use on all my systems is "contentblockhelper" Super powerful and customisable! On PCs where I do not have my regular ad guard licence, I install their extension also.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
The only extension I would recommend and use on all my systems is "contentblockhelper" Super powerful and customisable! On PCs where I do not have my regular ad guard licence, I install their extension also.
Why use an extension that hasn't been updated for 2 years while there's a better option like uBlock Origin?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.