What is the best anti virus software?

idunno

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 24, 2017
Maybe I misread your initial post. Thought you were looking for best a-v. Avast scored 100% on the latest A-V Comparables and compares very well detection-wise with Bitdefender, which you apparently cannot get to install. You don't mention what other security soft you are running, so I threw out avast thinking the custom install might work well for you. :)
I thought it didnt had 100% at first but after some reaserch I saw you were right!
AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Real World Protection Test Overview
Thanks!

Reactions: AtlBo

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I havent got updated in this community in a while so I thought it would be a good idea to know what is the best anti virus.
I tried to install BitDefender but for some reason after I registered it is not launching and I have no way to acces it after I Installed it.
Im not getting BitDefender of the table, but if anyone has a seloution let me know.

-Thanks to all!

I can't comment on the best but i had trouble launching BD when i installed it. You have probably tried this but i had to launch it from within the programme files, find BD and then i think i had to physically look for the application, it doesn't automatically launch for some reason. I think it "may" have been from here where i launched it and apologies in advance if you have already tried this

Attachments

• Bitdefender.jpg
    Bitdefender.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I can't comment on the best but i had trouble launching BD when i installed it. You have probably tried this but i had to launch it from within the programme files, find BD and then i think i had to physically look for the application, it doesn't automatically launch for some reason. I think it may have been from here where i launched it and apologies in advance if you have already tried this
That may be possible, but what you're pointing at in the picture is the installer apparently ;)
I found out that the below highlighted seccenter.exe (in Program Files >> Bitdefender >> Bitdefender 20xx) opens the main GUI screen immediately.
Screenshot (1335).png
@idunno you may want to try that.
PS: Mine is BTS 2018 Beta, and even otherwise if you have a free version, there are chances that the filename I have may not exist in yours. In that case, go to the Start Menu entry of Bitdefender, right-click on Bitdefender application and click "Open file location". See if that executable runs immediately or not.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
That may be possible, but what you're pointing at in the picture is the installer apparently ;)
I found out that the below highlighted seccenter.exe (in Program Files >> Bitdefender >> Bitdefender 20xx) opens the main GUI screen immediately.
View attachment 156949
@idunno you may want to try that.
PS: Mine is BTS 2018 Beta, and even otherwise if you have a free version, there are chances that the filename I have may not exist in yours. In that case, go to the Start Menu entry of Bitdefender, right-click on Bitdefender application and click "Open file location". See if that executable runs immediately or not.

Oops :oops: Thanks @Parsh, i couldn't remember where i found the launcher and thought that that was the correct one. I don't remember seeing anything like you have but hopefully @idunno will find a way.

idunno

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 24, 2017
If you have Common Sence you dont even need av...
Well, viruses can be sneaky. You can find something that you think is totally legit but it is actually a virus.
Even after you install it, it is possible it is rooting around your system.
It can be from anything, you can get a virus by simply downloading an image, or being on a website.
So if "Common sense" is not going on sites or downloading programs or anything else that is awesome around the internet,then yeah! you will most likely wont have a virus!
*Most Likely*.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
The most important thing brain.exe.
Then, a multilayered security comes out:

- AV (WD, KIS, BIS, EIS, etc)
- Content Blocker (uBlock, Adguard)
- Backup solution (Macrium)
- Firewall (WF, built-in in AV)
- OS/Software updated

Asking "what is the best AV" is very abstract and less relevant these days, when even default Windows protection is already decent.

VeeekTor

Level 5
Verified
May 16, 2017
I understand the answer "There isn't one"... BUT...

I just can't understand WHY SOMEONE, doesn't say: "Let's make the best damned security software available, charge a premium for it, and be proud of our success".

Why not take a strong look at your competitors, take all their strong points and combine them into one program.

Code it tight, make it run light, and do a good job.

Can you imagine, a security software like that. I can.

Reactions: ZeroDay and AtlBo

Korea

Level 1
Verified
Jan 11, 2017
If you can drive well you don't need seat belts...
that's not how anything works

Some companies do not update Windows frequently.
The same goes for individual users.

Kaspersky and ESET that are protecting it for such users are good.

I do a monthly window update.

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
Too many take it from one extreme to another. Yes, it is good to use common sense and safe surfing habits, no it is not good, to think of yourself as a God, and that you can do this with no security and be just fine.

That said, if we are strictly talking about Anti Viruses, none of them are 100%, they lack strong zero day protection by themselves. Now if were are talking Internet Security Suites, this is a whole different matter.

Bottom line, there is no best, as it depends on the user looking, their uses of their system and needs, and resources and knowledge on how well any product will protect them.

orthonovum

Level 3
Verified
Jun 17, 2017
It may be a silly reason but for me I choose Bitdefender.. because it is a clean, small, non intrusive UI. FWIW almost all of them will be OK for most people. almost all of them are also trivial to bypass.

I have been able to bypass the following with some fairly easy modifications to malicious payloads:

Cylance
Bitdefender
AVG
MS Windows Defender
TRAPS (80% tested still need to finish testing this one)

I'm sure they will all fall for the same tricks, but having that layer of protection there is better than nothing *shrug* best paired with a firewall in case something gets by the AV maybe the FW will catch it

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.