Battle What is the best internet security: ESET or Kaspersky?

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
i have tried every single one of them for 1 month so far no problem at all.
but i can't decide which one should i go with. they are really very good products.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
They have Advanced Memory Scanner, inbuilt Sandbox and UEFI scanner!also the Eset Cloud isn't only a simple signature base protection.it can anzyle the Behaviour of malware.Right not that good dynamic protection but that cloud works better than some Avs With BB(see MH).
I'm thinking what if ESET receive the detections/raw samples from VT and quickly implement them into signatures :unsure:
in this case, ESET will beat everyone else in the hub test but if there is a FUD not uploaded to VT, it would fail

besides that, I found ESET has a good exploit protection, which prevented nonpetya spreading

Last edited:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
I'm thinking what if ESET receive the detections from VT and quickly implement them into signatures :unsure:
in this case, ESET will beat everyone else but if there is a FUD not uploaded to VT, it would fail

besides that, I found ESET has a good exploit protection, which prevented nonpetya spreading
Agree with u..completely...Its not just him many out there...Bkav Cmc Qihoo 360 Comodo Vipre almost (90%) except a handful of AV's...list goes on
Despite of being a fan of G data..i support Dr web completely comes out from this line totally..it is a fact

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Agree with u..completely...Its not just him many out there...Bkav Cmc Qihoo 360...list goes on
despite that situation, I think no one else can implement VT signatures as quickly as ESET, which is a very good thing. Many AVs can't detect malwares after a few days they are uploaded to VT

BKAV is rubbish. It's a product in my country and everyone here knows it's an anti-windows AV, which destroys windows files and makes it unbootable

BKAV for android flags every single apk we download from the internet outside the playstore as malwares and delete them

Electr0n

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
I have used both and IMO Kaspersky internet security is much better than eset internet security. ESET nod 32 in conjunction with windows firewall is much more user friendly than EIS. OTOH KIS is a complete suite that includes every component that's required for a solid setup. ESET and Kaspersky both have great signatures whereas ESET gives fewer false positives, ESET is also lighter on the system, but protection wise I would choose KIS over EIS.
P.s.- On a second thought KIS is cheaper then EIS, so that's also a point to be considered.
My suggestion would be to choose KIS.

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Back to the topic, I suggest you get the one you can get for a cheaper price (deals)
both of them are excellent

KIS is better, IMO but KIS has a problem with PUPs while ESET is the king against PUPs
after tweaking, KIS is extremely hard to be bypassed while ESET might require some user interactions due to its noisy HIPS
KIS is heavier than ESET, no doubt, even after tweaking

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Based on the discussions so far it seems everyone is comparing only on malware protection. Since TS queries on an internet security suite does anyone knows which gives better protection against network attacks?

Without any UTM on the gateway, this is a crucial question people should ask IMO. Especially since home networks rarely protect from lateral infections or hackers. It's a neglected question.. In my experience, for raw network protection/firewall power, UTM-Like capabilities, you'd better look at;

1) Norton. Norton, as much as it pains me to admit it, has a very robust firewall based on SEP corporate offerings.
2) Eset. Eset has a very powerful firewall, L7 DPI and IPS Rulesets that far outstrip most other offerings.
3) Other contenders - good firewalls - G Data, Kaspersky, Bullguard.

You need to find a balance, but 1, 2 or 3 will provide most people with sufficient network protection. If you are really worried, 1, 2 will provide near absolute UTM-style protection with IPS and protocol blocking/inspection at the granular level.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Just basic ones...Port scans..Botnet type. Malicious Re directing(through network) , Scan (Encrypted Traffic) , Certificate Validity (Real time) Norton would have a edge in this category..KIS leads the next
A normal user is sufficiently equipped with the above Av's...Norton has a robust firewall

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
.not in real time
This is just your opinion.
almost dependent on signatures..
You're wrong about everything.there are 2 different things: Sig+cloud!
Quote from ESET Moderator:
Hello guys,
Ransomware Shield is a behavioural protection feature utilizing data from the ESET LiveGrid reputation system.
Regards, P.R
The ESET Cloud Malware Protection System is one of several technologies based on ESET’s LiveGrid® cloud system. Unknown, potentially malicious applications and other possible threats are monitored and submitted to the ESET cloud via the ESET LiveGrid® Feedback System.
The samples collected are subjected to automatic sandboxing and behavioural analysis, which results in the creation of automated detections if malicious characteristics are confirmed. ESET clients learn about these automated detections via the ESET LiveGrid® Reputation System without the need to wait for the next detection engine update.

So as you can see there is no Sig it's all cloud and some Behavioural protection!Their Hips also cant protect you from ransomware.
You can find some proactive modules in the picture.

Attachments

• E.PNG
    E.PNG
    33.5 KB · Views: 425

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Without any UTM on the gateway, this is a crucial question people should ask IMO. Especially since home networks rarely protect from lateral infections or hackers. It's a neglected question.. In my experience, for raw network protection/firewall power, UTM-Like capabilities, you'd better look at;

1) Norton. Norton, as much as it pains me to admit it, has a very robust firewall based on SEP corporate offerings.
2) Eset. Eset has a very powerful firewall, L7 DPI and IPS Rulesets that far outstrip most other offerings.
3) Other contenders - good firewalls - G Data, Kaspersky, Bullguard.

You need to find a balance, but 1, 2 or 3 will provide most people with sufficient network protection. If you are really worried, 1, 2 will provide near absolute UTM-style protection with IPS and protocol blocking/inspection at the granular level.
For home users they are probably well protected behind the router's firewall so network attack issue might not be significant.

However, for users OTG the assessment of malware protection vs network attacks when using public WiFi becomes important.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB007 and Garzaman

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017

Hello guys,
Ransomware Shield is a behavioural protection feature utilizing data from the ESET LiveGrid reputation system.
Regards, P.R
The ESET Cloud Malware Protection System is one of several technologies based on ESET’s LiveGrid® cloud system. Unknown, potentially malicious applications and other possible threats are monitored and submitted to the ESET cloud via the ESET LiveGrid® Feedback System.
The samples collected are subjected to automatic sandboxing and behavioural analysis, which results in the creation of automated detections if malicious characteristics are confirmed. ESET clients learn about these automated detections via the ESET LiveGrid® Reputation System without the need to wait for the next detection engine update.

So as you can see there is no Sig it's all cloud and some Behavioural protection!Their Hips also cant protect you from ransomware.
nevermind I read your post wrong.
ESET has no behavior module other than HIPS, that's correct.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017

Hello guys,
Regards, P.R

Even AVIRA has this trash(what they say) is a cloud behavioural integration..it is not good as they say.. probably a BIG 0
Don rely on what others say..Run the tests with highly 0 day malware (disable RT).. enable cloud as u said.you will know the results
its TRUTH Eset has no sort of any ZERO DAY capabilities..it is what signatures and VT + CLOUD saving them

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

Hello guys,
Regards, P.R

don't let yourself fool by the description from people from ESET. There is no BB in ESET and I have the evidence
"We don't perform behavior blocking"

LiveGrid = Cloud, reputation service
DNA detection = heuristics

Livegrid won't be able to protect you if you are the first person encountering a new malware. It will protect the next users after it finishes analyzing the uploaded malwares while the first user is dead already

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.