Battle What is the best internet security: ESET or Kaspersky?

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
i have tried every single one of them for 1 month so far no problem at all.
but i can't decide which one should i go with. they are really very good products.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
The Eset RW protection is a part of their HIPS!its not gonna alert you to anything other than RW.no annoying alerts or anything.
it works on the background without using HIPS in interactive or even safe mode.

Attachments

• E2.PNG
    E2.PNG
    33.9 KB · Views: 402

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
The Eset RW protection is a part of their HIPS!its not gonna alert you to anything other than RW.no annoying alerts or anything.
it works on the background without using HIPS in interactive or even safe mode.
the best way to test it is to throw some new ransomwares in default and see how it works but it's too hard nowadays because everyone is targeting ransomwares and have signatures already

I think ESET's default HIPS settings are like OSArmor with less restricted rules

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
the best way to test it is to throw some new ransomwares in default and see how it works

I think ESET's default HIPS settings are like OSArmor with less restricted rules
Whenever i test Eset probably never use RANSOMWARES..since i know the end story (Avira) :notworthy:
i cant dare to reinstall my OS several times...Even Dr web gives a fight with them ..but not ESET

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Eslam Gamal, in light of the detailed, & many, personal experiences (including your own expansive familiarity with each I.S. in question) you won't regret choosing either if based on experience & preference. I have happily used both. Currently, my subscription for Kaspersky I.S. shall be up for renewal in just (4) days. As mentioned by some very knowledgeable members here, your own needs for protection & prevention should be your basis, & final decision maker.
I will personally feel satisfied using either ESET I.S. or Kaspersky I.S. (if chosen for renewal) on this, my Windows 10 system, a (2013) Acer Lap Top because they've each worked swimmingly. You cannot go wrong if you choose turning right, left, or even completely around!:D

I hope you will truly like your choice, and let us know your thoughts in the future. :):)

Last edited:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
that's what VM snapshots are for mate :D
It is an Assumption mate.. i rather saw Windows become Un bootable despite of running malware inside VM
It is a Complimentry Medicine not saver (Nothing Guranteed)..Some av doesnt work quite well inside Vm..so i leave it
Since I do all these awful activities in a separate dedicated system..so its not a big deal

I

illumination

Based on my personal tests and experience since i used both especially ESET..i know most of his part and how he works...its my personal OPINION..
Eset is no where with Kaspersky...:)
In your testing were the products at default settings as everyone tests? I'm betting that if you threw EIS Firewall and HIPS into "interactive Mode" then in advanced settings enable choices such as run time packers and advanced heuristics/DNA signatures in objects to scan, and scan options, set cleaning level to strict cleaning, which attempts to clean/remove without any user intervention with in all of the Threatsense Parameters, then enter firewall settings to advanced/IDS and Advanced options for a little more control, and then test Eset, you may just change your mind...

Eset is powerful enough to run on its own and keep up with any big names out there. With choosing between the 2 products listed here, the only choice needing to be made, is does the one or the other fit the users needs and uses. Both are quite capable of protecting systems.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
In your testing were the products at default settings as everyone tests? I'm betting that if you threw EIS Firewall and HIPS into "interactive Mode" then in advanced settings enable choices such as run time packers and advanced heuristics/DNA signatures in objects to scan, and scan options, set cleaning level to strict cleaning, which attempts to clean/remove without any user intervention with in all of the Threatsense Parameters, then enter firewall settings to advanced/IDS and Advanced options for a little more control, and then test Eset, you may just change your mind...

Eset is powerful enough to run on its own and keep up with any big names out there. With choosing between the 2 products listed here, the only choice needing to be made, is does the one or the other fit the users needs and uses. Both are quite capable of protecting systems.
Ok..just i would give an idea..I do all these probably at the best..u may not know..When i test av(with no BB) i keep their strength to as maximum (End Point )..
if u want to get the answer in front ur eyes...
Get live 0 day sample from - Vxvault , Clean mx , Payload Security , Test my av(Quite powerful never step in) , Malshare , Virusshare (Enough to get an opinion)..
Take 1 sample from each (No eset Signature detection) disable their RT..with cloud ON..do tweaks as much as u want to do..Get the results..Give ur best bet in settings
best of luck :)..but step in only if u know what u are doing else follow testers videos out there...Result is visible
NOTE : Those DNA settings are a Trash ..Quick heal..Mcafee have all these..They are Failure..TOTAL FAIL...i do keep the settings at their BEST even unknown to u...
NO BB
is a truth..accept it..!Every AV out there has pros and cons...

Last edited:
I

illumination

Ok..just i would give an idea..I do all these probably at the best..u may not know..When i test av(with no BB) i keep their strength to as maximum (End Point )
I find it hard to believe you test with all settings maxed in Eset based on your previous comments.

Get live 0 day sample from
I'm betting you do not find many TRUE 0 days at these sites... Once they are run through automated sandboxed malware analysis and VT they are no longer 0 days.

but step in only if u know what u are doing else follow testers videos out there...Result is visible
Even if I did not know what I was doing, I would not follow youtube testers, as many of them certainly do not know.

Reactions: JB007 and vtqhtr413

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Hmm...may be ur assumptions are correct;) rather than our malware testers..ok i accept...
Firstly do know basics of what u talk...All those websites do not contain Zero day ?? ..then where from ESET and other vendors get signatures
Have u ever tested any av..or simply nagging right there with particular AV..know difference btw RT and Proactive detections../ Heuristic + Cloud analysis
Do u have any evidence backed up of what u talk....Like a JOKE to me...
Do not tag my posts ..i have evidence and support to my posts ...Rather open a new thread and start jocking about the AV

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I find it hard to believe you test with all settings maxed in Eset based on your previous comments.

I'm betting you do not find many TRUE 0 days at these sites... Once they are run through automated sandboxed malware analysis and VT they are no longer 0 days.

Even if I did not know what I was doing, I would not follow youtube testers, as many of them certainly do not know.
nothing is true 0day once you get them from the sites listed mate..

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Disabling their RT is a BB test ..which implies Zero day ..I bet there are 0 day malwares a lot of them..for which only chinese have signatures..(Sometimes not even them)
firstly dig into websites and test the sample in VT as we do..Do u know why those websites are for ?? All the samples right there have all AV vendor signatures..??
Any sense on what u talk...Then how do i get the samples for which even KSN doesnt have detections..Guys plz understand before u talk..
its a joke to me....

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

It is an Assumption mate.. i rather saw Windows become Un bootable despite of running malware inside VM
It is a Complimentry Medicine not saver (Nothing Guranteed)..Some av doesnt work quite well inside Vm..so i leave it
Since I do all these awful activities in a separate dedicated system..so its not a big deal

I suspect you may want to re-think this strategy. I get it, a VM isn't always the best to test malware. However if you are testing on live systems then you'd best have that system on an isolated subnet, DMZ, through a VPN. Testing malware without a VPN exposes your gateway to further attacks and those attacks can be unrelenting and unless you know how to flush your WAN DHCP then they've got a long time to pick and probe you. Also having a malware test machine on a DMZ would isolate it from other local machines, and unless you know what you are doing you could find malware propagate through your local network and/or attack devices on that network. Also, realize you might deal with malware hitting your MBR, Firmware and other areas of the system that would persist after your windows reset. So unless you are flushing bios, dbanning the drive you are also taking some risks with that.

My 2c.

I

illumination

Guys plz understand before u talk..
its a joke to me....

This place will never change. They almost always allow young, cocky, arrogant users with very little knowledge, to come in and bad mouth users, be completely rude, pass false information, and do nothing about them. I bet if I was to continue this, I would be banned "again".. You read that right. Now for future reference, never judge people you do not know anything about. My previous user name was "illumination" I am the user, that used to Moderate "your malware testers" and even reconstructed the Malware Hub to what it is now from the joke of a right click context menu scan it used to be. Do I know anything about testing, you bet... I have probably run more malware through a VM in a month, then you have in your whole life.

Rant over...

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Disabling their RT is a BB test ..which implies Zero day ..I bet there are 0 day malwares a lot of them..for which only chinese have signatures..(Sometimes not even them)
firstly dig into websites and test the sample in VT as we do..Do u know why those websites are for ?? All the samples right there have all AV vendor signatures..
Any sense on what u talk...Then how do i get the samples for which even KSN doesnt have detections..Guys plz understand before u talk..
its a joke to me....
Not all AVs are working correctly if you disable any of the protection modules, you need to understand before you talking about this topic but it seems you just want to spam with your personal experience are stated as facts by yourself.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Done..then why do u have to rely on our posts..since u have a independent opinion...U need not care about our reviews right..since u carry your own ratings and tests..
We may be true or false..it may be u as well..so every av has the fan base..despite of its limitations which i totally agree...i may not require any videos to post i never like to post (Since i carry own tests jointly with other guys with proofs in this forum)...

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Not all AVs are working correctly if you disable any of the protection modules, you need to understand before you talking about this topic but it seems you just want to spam with your personal experience are stated as facts by yourself.
i agree ..but we(i) have said pros and cons of that product i have come across//in my experience..nor said ESET is worst av right there..
Did u see my first post regarding it ??

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
i agree ..but we(i) have said pros and cons of that product i have come across//in my experience..nor said ESET is worst av right there..
Did u see my first post regarding it ??
You don't need to agree but please stop to act like an expert by testing malware samples.

Yes. I noticed your first post with pro & cons, but all your others are just spamming from my point of view.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.