Battle What is the best internet security: ESET or Kaspersky?

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
i have tried every single one of them for 1 month so far no problem at all.
but i can't decide which one should i go with. they are really very good products.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Both have great detection. Your personal preference should be king here. What gives you the least issues, what do you like the most. Kaspersky is king in security. They will have signatures for malware that is only 30 minutes old. But Eset is king in efficience. It's extremely extremely light and it has an UEFI Scanner although no way to fix UEFI if it gets infected so really what's the point, but what I really love is how it can provide you with almost everything if you configure it right. Personally I love the notifications it shows when a program is making changes to the registry. I know that other anti-malware monitors the registry too. But Eset seems to be the only one I know that shows you what program is doing it in real time.

Personally if I had to choose between the two, I would go with Eset because I had a great experience with it in the past and it feels like it's not even there.

AV-Freak

Level 1
Verified
Feb 14, 2018
Both have great detection. Your personal preference should be king here. What gives you the least issues, what do you like the most. Kaspersky is king in security. They will have signatures for malware that is only 30 minutes old. But Eset is king in efficience. It's extremely extremely light and it has an UEFI Scanner although no way to fix UEFI if it gets infected so really what's the point, but what I really love is how it can provide you with almost everything if you configure it right. Personally I love the notifications it shows when a program is making changes to the registry. I know that other anti-malware monitors the registry too. But Eset seems to be the only one I know that shows you what program is doing it in real time.

Personally if I had to choose between the two, I would go with Eset because I had a great experience with it in the past and it feels like it's not even there.
Well Said, It runs so light so that i had to check it whether its running in the background..LOL:)

D

Deleted member 65228

If it's pup/pua then ESET would be your best option.
I've found Malwarebytes to have a good stance against PUPs/PUAs as well. I wish Kaspersky would tackle them a bit more aggressively but I don't think they will anytime soon or they would have done so already. Probably due to legal issues sometimes with PUP/PUA vendors. Except ESET and Malwarebytes don't seem to care about lawsuits for it so they ball out with the PUP/PUA flags. :)

Kaspersky did have legal battle's in the past regarding PUP/PUA I remember though. Maybe they just care about using their resources on actual malware identification over PUP/PUA.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
This place will never change. They almost always allow young, cocky, arrogant users with very little knowledge, to come in and bad mouth users, be completely rude, pass false information, and do nothing about them. I bet if I was to continue this, I would be banned "again".. You read that right. Now for future reference, never judge people you do not know anything about. My previous user name was "illumination" I am the user, that used to Moderate "your malware testers" and even reconstructed the Malware Hub to what it is now from the joke of a right click context menu scan it used to be. Do I know anything about testing, you bet... I have probably run more malware through a VM in a month, then you have in your whole life.

Rant over...
Ah, i see it now my friend. ;):)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I would say in general Kaspersky, but have to pick ESET.

The reason is, myself and a few others around here do realize Kaspersky is a strong suite, but for various reasons don't feel confident in using it to secure our systems. I'm the last person to believe mainstream media and FUD from the US Govt, however there are some valid concerns.

US Intelligence operations are bound by the rule of law but that the balance of equities captured by these boundaries is a topic of legitimate discussion and debate. None of this is true of Russia, whose intelligence services operate at the whim of Putin with no democratic accountability, independent oversight or meaningful transparency about normative and operational boundaries. But most importantly, no legal recourse for anyone negatively impacted by it.

So the problem with Kaspersky is not simply that it is a foreign company or even that it has a relationship with a foreign government. Rather, it is the fact that Kaspersky products furnish Russia—an authoritarian government the necessary tools that could be use for subversive or counter productive activities. For that reason, I chose Eset. For me personally, I would always have the nagging suspicion Ivan is watching, and Ivan isn't legally bound to be protective of my information. As a result, this competent, effective, gorgeous suite will always evade me.

baddogai

Level 1
Verified
May 16, 2018
Kaspersky has better protection from what I have seen. ESET is definetly lighter and non intrusive (has no unneccsary pop ups like Kaspersky does sometimes). ESET firewall is much more easily configurable as well.

In short, you can't really go wrong with both but if I had to chose one I'd get Kaspersky. If you have a lower end system ESET could be better. (All in my humble opinion of course.)

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Eset: is: + home compatibility, + common among gamers and enthusiasts who seek high performance in their graphical editing programs, multimedia re-coding, and works perfectly with any programming library and more modest computers.

kaspersky: more reliable protection in computers of a business environment either online or locally with careless employees who click on anything they see on the web, and for those who do not bother with the heavy resources impact consumed.

No more explanation from me, its my real testimony based on my computer i7 ivy bridge 8gb ram and Nvidia gtx 960 and disk hdd sata 7200rpm.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
for those who do not bother with the heavy resources impact consumed

kaspersky uses many tricks...some of them are heavy on resources. It also changes file access rights which may even make simple copy/paste a laggy process. From 18.0.0.405 (e) - (g) deleting folders were taking much time than it should have been .But in 18.0.0.405(h) that problem is resolved up to an extent. & it's all because of change in file access right.

It seems you've used both kaspersky & eset. Can you compare their BB,application control,real time scanning,firewall,web av etc in a lucid way? & don't bring PUP, we all know kaspersky doesn't see most of PUP & Eset has one of the most aggressive PUP protection. Kaspersky has a very unique & powerful feature namely advanced disinfection, does eset has anything equivalent?

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
kaspersky uses many tricks...some of them are heavy on resources. It also changes file access rights which may even make simple copy/paste a laggy process. From 18.0.0.405 (e) - (g) deleting folders were taking much time than it should have been .But in 18.0.0.405(h) that problem is resolved up to an extent. & it's all because of change in file access right.

It seems you've used both kaspersky & eset. Can you compare their BB,application control,real time scanning,firewall,web av etc in a lucid way? & don't bring PUP, we all know kaspersky doesn't see most of PUP & Eset has one of the most aggressive PUP protection. Kaspersky has a very unique & powerful feature namely advanced disinfection, does eset has anything equivalent?
eset and kaspersky are very good products. i love the firewall of eset very effective and you can configure it for your needs.
eset depends on signature a lot but it has a really good and big database. the cloud of eset improves with each update(Eset live grid). Eset is very good against malicious scripts. in the category of BB, of course kaspersky is better.
Eset and Kaspersky have the most powerful, effective and accurate signature.
the name of detection is really accurate not like bitdefender (trojan-Gen for everything)
each one of them responses very quickly when they found any thing suspicious and the removal process is quick.
kaspersky 2018 becomes very light on the system and i love that. i use them on my 2 laptops and kaspersky is so light like eset. there are no differences between them. i hope i could be helpful.:):)

Last edited:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Tried both programs and i do not like either of them. Eset average detection, KIS is installed too deep in the system for me.
And with the recent happenings of Kaspersky i will never install it.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I too agree that you can't go wrong with either product. I've tried/used both products in the past and liked them both. I did find Eset lighter by comparison, but from what others have been saying Kaspersky has improved on this with their latest version. I would download the trial for both and see which one you like the most. If you end up liking both, just get which ever ends up being cheaper. Bear in mind, both of these products will require some configuration to get the most out of them, but once configured, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. If you look at each of these company's sub forum here on MT you can find some helpful configuration threads to help you set them up if needed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.