Battle What is the best internet security: ESET or Kaspersky?

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
i have tried every single one of them for 1 month so far no problem at all.
but i can't decide which one should i go with. they are really very good products.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
You don't need to agree but please stop to act like an expert by testing malware samples.

Yes. I noticed your first post with pro & cons, but all your others are just spamming from my point of view.
But its rather honest opinion that i gave..did u see any of the posts bringing ESET down..Never i have said an av expert since no one is perfect here...including u as well
AV vendors knows a lot than us..but rather my opinion is objective not subjective..its free right ? did i bash any product there??
indeed i said it is a personal opinion ..and each and every av has its pros and cons..which totally makes sense?...
I can say with challenge (if they think i bashed out ESET) is nonsense...and if they prove me wrong about my findings/reviews..i will be ready to get down..
but what it matters atlast is sharing knowledge..which seems to be im possible(here) even when genuinity are present with accurate findings..despite of all these if they simply blabber their words without getting into root..is a definite down from me....
Sorry to say my cousin is a threat researcher at Microsoft and wants to join here to share his knowledge and learn things.. but it is not right here
but most of here are simply emboss and publish their own products with no definite proofs at their back..which is totally a Draw back...
they simply we are best and best..inspite members giving them true Pros and Cons about each av..to share their knowledge!! and firing us even despite of giving them a neutral review ??Not expected from u @Silversurfer..U rather long here than me....
but instead firing me without sufficient evidences of what i have spoken..Did i spam about ESET...if u probably say yes..
then its may be i should get out ..since i have done spamming and dis advertised ESET :unsure::confused::censored:
..Its spam (from my point of view) as u said... but u dont have a proper proof to it..If u prove my findings wrong with respect to this..i agree to what u said..Is it Okay?...U guys test the samples from the resources which i dont (Choice)..i would be getting all my tools dircetly from him needed to deep examine any av..rather than simply one way testing..Which i do. I standby my.REVIEWS/FINDINGS...but prove me wrong before u omit as spam ...

Last edited:

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
This place will never change. They almost always allow young, cocky, arrogant users with very little knowledge, to come in and bad mouth users, be completely rude, pass false information, and do nothing about them. I bet if I was to continue this, I would be banned "again".. You read that right. Now for future reference, never judge people you do not know anything about. My previous user name was "illumination" I am the user, that used to Moderate "your malware testers" and even reconstructed the Malware Hub to what it is now from the joke of a right click context menu scan it used to be. Do I know anything about testing, you bet... I have probably run more malware through a VM in a month, then you have in your whole life.

Rant over...
i guess an o7 is in order then?
also this topic derailed pretty quickly, but i think first 2 pages are enough for OP to decide.

I

illumination

i guess an o7 is in order then?
Not necessary by any means, but thank you just the same.

also this topic derailed pretty quickly, but i think first 2 pages are enough for OP to decide.
Agree, it strolled off topic quite far, but sometimes necessary to do to keep average users/OP from getting sidelined with tons of misinformation when a simple post such as this one: Help Me Decide - What is the best internet security: ESET or Kaspersky? answers the OP directly with the best advice. None of these products are "100%", 100 percent of the time, and it really does boil down to what works best for your system and uses of.

AV-Freak

Level 1
Verified
Feb 14, 2018
If ESET only query a database, how come they have support for a Firewall component and a Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) component? You acknowledged these features yourself in the second quote, yet in the first quote you said (and I quote) 'ESET is just a robot who queries a database 24/7'.

Furthermore, ESET have support for exploit protection and they also have UEFI bootkit scanning technology.
people come to the conclusion when they see testers in you tube testing a.v products with the real time modules disabled.For example in Kaspersky File,web, and IM modules can be disabled with system watcher functioning alone, to test ransomware ,but in eset you can't do that as most of their modules are integrated and they use various tech combinations to detect unknown malware. As an eset user for more than 10 years, right from their version 2, i have never been infected with any sort of nasty malware. And i had bad experiences with kaspersky in detecting pup's in which eset leads. Eset is highly regarded solution in the market and its not that bad as people mention here. Low false positives, low foot print and very good PUP detections are the pro's of ESET.

KeZa

Level 1
Mar 3, 2018
How you test it, when you test it, etc. and have you proof of evidence to back your theory? I cannot rap my head of the fact that +-6 AV testers out there give ESET also good ratings but it's totally crap.

I

illumination

How you test it, when you test it, etc. and have you proof of evidence to back your theory? I cannot rap my head of the fact that +-6 AV testers out there give ESET also good ratings but it's totally crap.
The main problem with testing by individuals, is the simple fact that most of them, have very little knowledge of the product they are testing and do so at default settings. Comparing 2 products at defaults settings does not paint an accurate picture. As stated above, both of these products are very good, either would keep a user safe once they learn to use them, neither would keep a user safe if they just install them, leave them at default settings and become very careless., such as that user that sees a prompt from their security on an application, but they know better then the security and are determined to run that application anyway because its fun to play with, and allow it through their security, yes, I see that often.

KeZa

Level 1
Mar 3, 2018
Yes and there are also differences on the OS you test it. While an AV can be good on Windows 7 but not so good on Windows 10 etc. but if all the vendors give it a good rating overall on all the OS's in their basic settings than is that for me a good indicator because if we know where we are messing with than we can make it better by fine tuning it... So an 7-8 score with fine tuning we can make it an 9 and 10 does not exist. Look at the test and Kaspersky. It's not perfect on all the tests out there....

AV-Freak

Level 1
Verified
Feb 14, 2018
Yeap eset user since 1998 v1 also known as the pulsating zit.
Its funny that i switch to variety of different vendors out of curiosity when ever their new version gets released. But i keep coming back to Eset for the feel it gives with the extreme lightness. I've been watching a-v comparatives tests and in two particular trophies are always reserved to eset each year. The False Positive test and Performance test. None can beat Eset in this section. :):)

Reactions: KeZa

KeZa

Level 1
Mar 3, 2018
Yes, I had ESET here on Xp but is was the version of 2015 and since I test a lot, I can tell you that there are a few with no bugs in it, so I do not pay for it at the moment so long I get a good one (now AVG) for free with torrent. BitDefender always big problems and never any good install (except their free Anti-Ransom) here on Xp and also Kasper slows the pc (i5 dual core) down and with a lot of bugs in it. Here is are links how buggy Kasper can be KIS 2017 - Custom Application Control settings being deleted & Problem App. Control with App. Rules. So now Kasper is not better in performance then ESET and I have tried different versions in the past of Kasper.

I

illumination

What I find funny is watching many users, that obviously are above normal novice users, as they are here and learning, where as average users do not even realize sites like this even exist, are still sitting here debating which product is best, and will protect them from their poor choices... Let that last tid bit sink in for a minute...

Users need to form better surfing habits, learn to be aware, and use safe practices, and rely on their "product of choice" to be their back up, as that is what security is intended for. Spend more time learning how to safely navigate the internet, do not click on unfamiliar links, do not download unfamiliar applications until you learn about them and vet them, back up your important personal files so that if something does happen you have lost nothing, and let your security do its job.

If you are still paranoid after this point, then learn the application you are using better, as almost all of them have features and advanced options not on by default. Do understand, that without learning what I have suggested above, that almost any product can fail you, as they just can not protect a user from themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Graphical User Interface: depends what do you want, in my opinion both about the same.
Learning curve: KIS always in my opinion is a bit easier to use.
Eset has many settings and you must be willing to spend some time to learn them and get used to them.
Of course HIPS is the one you have to spend more time to understand how it works.
I have tried both and i am very satisfied with their performance.
Right now i am using EAV and i am happy with it.
A plus for me that has Eset over KIS is the Read/Write on the Hard Drive, Eset get's my vote on that one.
Conclusion whatever you choose it will protect very good.
And i agree with the last 2 paragraphs of @PathFinder ;)

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Well as both fan and user of ESET and Kaspersky I can tell you they're two great pieces of software, intended for "different" kind of users.

On one hand, ESET will provide you a basic protection if default, but tweaked can create a lockdown of your system and notify you about every single event that takes place on your system. I suggest using this software over Kasperksy if you're an advanced user.

On the other hand, Kaspersky offers an amazing protection with its modules, say Application Control for example. It's mean, in my opinion, to install and forget. Once again, if you're an advanced user you can tweak it and achieve better protection, but to be realistic there is not much you can do there. I'd say stick with this one if you want great behaviour blocker and signatures.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.