Battle what is the best tool between Glasswire and Windows firewall control??

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Being a Glasswire (Pro ) user, I can say it is a great network monitor with many advanced features, you have notifications every time an application starts a new network connection, and much more.
Of course, the free edition is limited but it basically carries out its work.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Tinywall is a small program, but I think it's best for reinforcing Windows Firewall.
You can not create rules from warnings, but you can create rules by clicking on the screen of the software you want to allow communication with.

I really liked Tinywall but it stopped working a few insider builds ago and when emailing the dev he never replies and the program is not being developed any longer.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Yes it was and I was very disappointed the Dev could not even take the time to explain why he stopped developing it for Windows 10.:cautious:

Do you know devlpr has stopped supporting it other than his lack of response? I am still using it and it is working on my windows 10 home 1709, and his copyright shows 2017. It may be he only communicates re: new releases....?

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Just Fyi: Since Windows Vista, all firewalls on Windows make use of Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) API. So everything is really a front-end for Windows firewall now. The difference is that the front end can vary by product, but the logic is shared.

Starting in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista, the firewall hook and the filter hook drivers are not available; applications that were using these drivers should use WFP instead

Windows Filtering Platform (Windows)

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Very unfortunate that WFC has been sold and discontinued, it was a pretty great piece of software. You can still use it as of now since it's up to date with the current windows build. But if there are any changes in the future then WFC might not be as stable as it is now

Very unfortunate that WFC has been sold and discontinued, it was a pretty great piece of software. You can still use it as of now since it's up to date with the current windows build. But if there are any changes in the future then WFC might not be as stable as it is now

Eventually a Windows Update will break the no longer updated and maintained WFC. That could be on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. Remember the monthly rollup updates can break it too.

Thank you for the head up, I really liked the program, I hope something comes out that works just as well :)

After all these years there is no decent front end for Windows Firewall without quite a bit of issues.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.