Battle what is the best tool between Glasswire and Windows firewall control??

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Just Fyi: Since Windows Vista, all firewalls on Windows make use of Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) API. So everything is really a front-end for Windows firewall now. The difference is that the front end can vary by product, but the logic is shared.
The difference is actually much bigger...Windows FW on deffault settings can't controll/block outgoing connections so it allows everything to go out whenever it wants. Nice feature...

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
The difference is actually much bigger...Windows FW on deffault settings can't controll/block outgoing connections so it allows everything to go out whenever it wants. Nice feature...

A Firewall app just creates those outbound rules in the Windows Firewall for you. Something you could do for yourself, just probably not as fast! So you are still running the Windows FW.

GlassWire or WFC are just front-ends for Windows Firewall (i.e. they manage the rules for you so you don't have to), and may add some logging and data display features not available to the native firewall feature in the OS. But the network traffic is still handled by WFP in either case.

Fyi, I use GlassWire Pro. ;)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Just Fyi: Since Windows Vista, all firewalls on Windows make use of Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) API. So everything is really a front-end for Windows firewall now. The difference is that the front end can vary by product, but the logic is shared.

Windows Filtering Platform (Windows)

Tinywall hardens and controls WF, taking the no popup approach. Perfect for the average user like me. It has learning mode to allow wanted programs. Very simple, if that's what you want. I've "learned" when a program I want is blocked it's because I forgot to put TinyWall into learning mode or use one of the other whitelisting methods.

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Eventually a Windows Update will break the no longer updated and maintained WFC. That could be on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. Remember the monthly rollup updates can break it too.

After all these years there is no decent front end for Windows Firewall without quite a bit of issues.
Hopefully the new dev would keep this piece of software up to date concurrently with whatever AV they are developing, but I wouldn't keep my hopes high either

Hopefully the new dev would keep this piece of software up to date concurrently with whatever AV they are developing, but I wouldn't keep my hopes high either

That's not gonna happen. Not unless some special provision was made and it is certainty that no such provision was made. The language on the WFC Wilders thread is clear that standalone WFC is now a dead, unmaintained product.

permar4

Level 1
Verified
Jul 23, 2017
I always give more importance to network filtering tools than AVs, however there are hardly any options for AVs compared to AVs.

I never manage to adapt to comodo, it always gives me some problem. Glasswire is too expensive, WFC is dead, tinywall has not had updates for years.

I still have to try WFN and sphinx firewall... but it's worrying the few options there are and the ones there are small projects, I remember using Sygate as a child.

I wish Microsoft would one day add the pop-up option to the firewall, so I'd be happy to just accept or block connections.

Last edited:

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
That's not gonna happen. Not unless some special provision was made and it is certainty that no such provision was made. The language on the WFC Wilders thread is clear that standalone WFC is now a dead, unmaintained product.
Crap, I would hate to be one of those who may not be able to reinstall and register later on.

Reactions: AtlBo and frogboy

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I still have to try WFN and sphinx firewall...
Sphinx is the best WFC and extremely light, but to create rules, you need to buy Plus. Free version is mostly useless.
Free allows outbound for Win apps and you can only allow/block software, Free Firewall from Evorim will do better.

I always give more importance to network filtering tools than AVs, however there are hardly any options for AVs compared to AVs.

I never manage to adapt to comfort, it always gives me some problem. Glasswire is too expensive, WFC is dead, tinywall has not had updates for years.

I still have to try WFN and sphinx firewall... but it's worrying the few options there are and the ones there are small projects, I remember using Sygate as a child.

I wish Microsoft would one day add the pop-up option to the firewall, so I'd be happy to just accept or block connections.

The next major version of TinyWall is in very slow development. So it might be another few years before the next version is released.

Crap, I would hate to be one of those who may not be able to reinstall and register later on.

You cannot purchase WFC any longer. However, those that already own a license will be able to download and install the product as long as they wish - presumably until a Windows Update breaks the product.

There is a dedicated WFC product thread over at Wilders. Does no one bother to read it ?

Reactions: AtlBo

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
People must learn how to use Windows Firewall, it is not difficult, just a bit time consuming.
I agree with Umbra. Learning how to use Windows firewall is a must, plus you'll learn more about how it actually works by tweaking it yourself. My line of thinking is that before anyone adds any third party security software they should learn to use Windows built in security and enforce it and I mean everything from Windows FW, to SUA, WD, WD Exploit protection. Then, once someone has their system secure just look to see what potential holes need covering, then look for a solid third party security software/s to cover said hole/s. I honestly think everyone should learn how to lock Windows down using every built in tool available before looking for third party security software. But, out of the 2 options in this thread I'd choose WFC hands down.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Learning how to use Windows firewall is a must, plus you'll learn more about how it actually works by tweaking it yourself.
It does not matter, how you tweak it, since it changes rules at will. Lets say you block svchost.exe, Windows will allow it, if it wants to and any other software can do it, for that matter. Not to mention, that creating rules is a pain, since there is no notification and traffic monitoring tools will not display traffic, which lasts for a milisecond.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.