Advice Request What is your opinion about Microsoft Windows Defender (Windows 10)?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Many WD advanced features are available on Windows Home (like ASR rules, Network Protection, etc.) via PowerShell cmdlets or registry tweaks. They are invisible to most users on Windows Home and are included in Windows Defender ATP.
All known advanced WD features that work on Windows Home can be activated/configured via ConfigureDefender application. Other features, like integration with WD Application Control, can be configured only on Windows E3 or E5.

Last edited:
L

Local Host

Since 1803 or so, the client side is available to everyone, it improved the detection noticeably.
If I understand it correctly, if ATP detects anything anywhere, it will be detected by any version.
That is false, Windows Defender ATP is a paid platform for the Enterprise environment.

Is used to manage and monitor Windows Defender across enterprise networks, with easy access to advanced options.

Is a whole different beast to the vanilla Windows Defender experience, as enterprise environments need way better security.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

IMO Windows Defender is getting there FAST, but for now I use Bitdefender Total Security+Syshardener+OSAmor.
Second opinion scanners: Malwarebytes, Norton Power Eraser, HitmanPro(paid) & Emsisoft Emergency Kit. :)
And I have Defender on standby to scan my system once in a while. ;)

virusesmaximum

Level 1
Aug 21, 2019
personally, I don't like ANY antivirus free, I feel that the protection of an av free is weak and you think you are protected against a real threat since you really are not. Although WD has greatly improved with its artificial technology, it is still inferior to a paid suite. That is my humble opinion based on my experience and my knowledge.
pd:
Not counting the way they spy on you av free sometimes the telemetry they use and you get frightful without realizing it.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

personally, I don't like ANY antivirus free, I feel that the protection of an av free is weak and you think you are protected against a real threat since you really are not. Although WD has greatly improved with its artificial technology, it is still inferior to a paid suite. That is my humble opinion based on my experience and my knowledge.
pd:
Not counting the way they spy on you av free sometimes the telemetry they use and you get frightful without realizing it.

To be fair though there's no guarantee that a paid offering is really better then a free one. In regards to WD I think it's a different animal compared to most AV's. What I mean by that is MS is this massive conglomerate where the vast majority of their money comes from their other offerings. Sure they sell ATP to businesses, I mean why not make money if you can, but to be fair, MS has the money to develop and maintain WD without charging for it, as their funds from other sources. AV companies don't have that other source of income, hence why the vast majority of them charge for their product, as that is their income.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 85911

To be fair though there's no guarantee that a paid offering is really better then a free one. In regards to WD I think it's a different animal compared to most AV's. What I mean by that is MS is this massive conglomerate where the vast majority of their money comes from their other offerings. Sure they sell ATP to businesses, I mean why not make money if you can, but to be fair, MS has the money to develop and maintain WD without charging for it, as their funds from other sources. AV companies don't have that other source of income, hence why the vast majority of them charge for their product, as that is their income.

atp is not a cash cow for microsoft
it makes a good bit of its atp revenue because bitdefender and others lease the back-end

you already paid for wd when you bought the pc
wd is not free
actually windows is not free
the price of windows is built into the retail price of the pc unless you buy used all the time

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

atp is not a cash cow for microsoft
it makes a good bit of its atp revenue because bitdefender and others lease the back-end

you already paid for wd when you bought the pc
wd is not free
actually windows is not free
the price of windows is built into the retail price of the pc unless you buy used all the time

ATP brings in money for MS for sure, I mean it's only good business if each product can support itself financially. In MS case though they technically don't have to. They makes so much money that they can probably give ATP away if they wanted to, but why would they when they can cash in, even if it's a little.

As to W10 you are correct, technically you paid for it when you bought your computer/or the OS (if you build your own PC), but in essence it's really only a 1 time purchase, as MS has released every major update to W10 for free. In some cases however, it is really free. I for one upgraded from W8 to W10, as MS was offering the upgrade for free for all W7 and W8/8.1 users. In these cases, or like the one you mentioned, yes WD is free because you didn't pay to upgrade to W10, especially if you upgraded from W7. If you bought a new computer recently, then yes you paid for it, but again only once, it's not a recurring subscription like everyone else. So I guess it can both be free, and a 1 time purchase at the same time, depending which avenue one takes.;)

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
pd:
i was thinking so but i changed my mind as my cyber security sense became better by reading a lot.
you could with some bit of technical knowledge and patient utilize free products and integrate between them correctly to enhance your security
the downside for this is the need for exerting more effort and conflicts you may face after integration(which paid one take that hassle for you )
it is really your choice according to your needs. for that you will not find any solution which cover all security aspects or full proof
there must pitfalls in any security side or protection. also some free solution has the downside of privacy issues however it may also in paid products :) :)

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
ATP brings in money for MS for sure...

Yep.

I'm aware of several recent large ATP implementations -- in all cases combined with other products.

MS definitely gets their $$ ---- some of the large installations involve MS direct support contracts with MS personnel onsite full time, and even can include support and management of a product combined with ATP that is not their own product. Yep, for the right price, they will do that.

And the way it often works.... with the MS ATP guy on site doing support.... more MS products tend to follow. They play the game well.

F

ForgottenSeer 85911

ATP brings in money for MS for sure, I mean it's only good business if each product can support itself financially.

i said atp is not a cash cow for microsoft
i did not say it does not bring any revenue
there is no evidence atp is supporting itself
microsoft makes most of its money from atp by leasing the back-end to bitdefender and others

Yep.

I'm aware of several recent large ATP implementations -- in all cases combined with other products.

MS definitely gets their $$ ---- some of the large installations involve MS direct support contracts with MS personnel onsite full time, and even can include support and management of a product combined with ATP that is not their own product. Yep, for the right price, they will do that.

And the way it often works.... with the MS ATP guy on site doing support.... more MS products tend to follow. They play the game well.

ms atp guy ?
lol there is no such thing

Reactions: DDE_Server
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Yep.

Hey why not, I mean if you can might as well right, it's only good business from a business stand pont.
i said atp is not a cash cow for microsoft
i did not say it does not bring any revenue
there is no evidence atp is supporting itself
microsoft makes most of its money from atp by leasing the back-end to bitdefender and others

I never said it was a cash cow. I said they are making money off it, which they are. Whether they make $10.00, or 1,000,000 off it, it doesn't matter, they are still making money off it. Even if MS is still funding the development of ATP from other sources, I am sure some of the money they make of ATP is helping fund it as well. No matter where ATP makes it money, whether it's from business buying licenses, or leasing the backend, it's still brining in money. How much exactly, we don't know, but at the end of the day it's still bringing money in for MS, even if it's a measly $5.00

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Hey why not, I mean if you can, might as well right, it's only good business from a business stand point.

Yeah, exactly. Some bash MS because they act like a..... company...

Shocking.

I never said it was a cash cow. I said they are making money off it, which they are. Whether they make $10.00, or 1,000,000 off it, it doesn't matter, they are still making money off it. Even if MS is still funding the development of ATP from other sources, I am sure some of the money they make of ATP is helping fund it as well. No matter where ATP makes it money, whether it's from business buying licenses, or leasing the backend, it's still bringing in money. How much exactly, we don't know, but at the end of the day it's still bringing money in for MS, even if it's a measly $5.00

Precisely.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I use it and I'm satisfied so far. The thing that bothers me the most is I don't know what data it collects. Microsoft's privacy policy isn't detailed so I have no way of knowing what it does in the back... 😕
One thing that I discovered recently about Norton is that any sample and statistics send to Norton servers shows at the security historic, didn't know that.

B

BVLon

One thing that I discovered recently about Norton is that any sample and statistics send to Norton servers shows at the security historic, didn't know that.
Of course it does, Norton is the king of showing you data, that's why I love it.
They might as well remove all protection components and just keep security history and the Insight scan. If you are smart, you will identify any potential dangers.
I have not yet seen an AV with better security history than Norton. Bitdefender comes kinda close, but not exactly.

In Norton's history you can see:

Every firewall event, every packet that was rejected.
Every threat that was detected with all the files, settings and reg.entries that have been deleted in the cleanup process.
Every time a program has slowed your PC down.
Every intrusion blocked.
Other backup and tuneup events.
Update details.
And much more.

L

Local Host

Of course it does, Norton is the king of showing you data, that's why I love it.
They might as well remove all protection components and just keep security history and the Insight scan. If you are smart, you will identify any potential dangers.
I have not yet seen an AV with better security history than Norton. Bitdefender comes kinda close, but not exactly.

In Norton's history you can see:

Every firewall event, every packet that was rejected.
Every threat that was detected with all the files, settings and reg.entries that have been deleted in the cleanup process.
Every time a program has slowed your PC down.
Every intrusion blocked.
Other backup and tuneup events.
Update details.
And much more.
Windows Defender ATP blows it out of the water, then again is for Enterprise were it belongs, the majorly of casual users wouldn't even know how to see the log, leave alone understand it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What is your opinion about Microsoft Windows Defender (Windows 10)?
The ideal and perfect solution for Windows 10 users who do not want to buy 3rd party security software - that will cause issues, conflicts or a dent in their wallet.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using Windows Defender Antivirus on Windows 10, it's the default security in the OS. Who cares!?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.