Advice Request What is your take on the Kaspersky Ban in US, UK and EU?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kaspersky ban is based on .....

• Innocent: the US hearings and EU report lacked hard evidence?

Votes: 46 48.9%
  • uncertain: where there is smoke there is fire,

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • it is fishy: three is a strike US, UK and EU can't all be wrong

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • have not made my mind up in this matter

Votes: 26 27.7%

• Total voters

What US needs, is actually less tech, they laugh about Russian old tech, but it is way more immune to EMP, it can not even disable Russian vehicles.

What spooked the USS Donald Cook so much in the Black Sea?

As a matter fact, US asked my country not to sell its radar to Iran, because it is an old tech and it is able to detect the new US stealth planes.

Soviet old technology is awesome. And "Trust no one and suspect everyone" is even more awesome. (y)

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
The ones who know nothing about highest-level cybersecurity and make comments are like arm-chair quarterbacks who never played football a day in their life, but are complaining about player X.

You are right. I played rugby until my 50th. To me American football looks like a kind of boring rugby played by sissy's with protective gear and commando eye shade :) , So you need to help me out on the position of an arm-chair quaterback is. Would that be simular to a scrum-half in rugby (with the difference that a scrum-half has to play all the time and can't sit in his arm-chair like quarterback when the defensive squad is on the field). I have once tried to watch a super bowl final, but felt a sleep after three hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: In2an3_PpG
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

The only thing the old mig fighters had going for them was the use of vacuume tubes, which were not liable to EMP's
Good thread. Lets me know who are the Russians and their supporter here. Don't even ask me about electronics. I went to the number 10 rated elecreonics scholl here ( USA ) during th 80's . 82 started and only 39 of us graduated.

You are right. I played rugby until my 50t. To me American football looks like a kind of boring rugby played by siisy's with protective gear :) , So you need to help me out on the position of an arm-chair quaterback is. Would that be simular to a scrum-half in rugby (with the difference that a scrum-half has to play all the time and can't sit in his arm-chair like quarterback when the defensive squad is on the field). I have once tried to watch a super bowl final, but felt a sleep after three hours.

From Wikipedia:

"Armchair quarterback" is an idiom that originated in the United States. It refers to someone who doesn't participate in an action but still makes judgments about it. The phrase takes its meaning from the fact that a quarterback is the player in the American sport of football who controls much of the game.

In other words... "I know better than anyone... listen to me and you will never lose a match - ever."

Guys like that, given any kind of real power, will get us all killed.

Reactions: uninfected1

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
You are right. I played rugby until my 50t. To me American football looks like a kind of boring rugby played by gym-gent's with protective gear and commando eye shade :) , So you need to help me out on the position of an arm-chair quaterback is. Would that be simular to a scrum-half in rugby (with the difference that a scrum-half has to play all the time and can't sit in his arm-chair like quarterback when the defensive squad is on the field). I have once tried to watch a super bowl final, but felt a sleep after three hours.

Hey now, lets not go there :p

Reactions: Weebarra
L

Local Host

What US needs, is actually less tech, they laugh about Russian old tech, but it is way more immune to EMP, it can not even disable Russian vehicles.

What spooked the USS Donald Cook so much in the Black Sea?

As a matter fact, US asked my country not to sell its radar to Iran, because it is an old tech and it is able to detect the new US stealth planes.
Well it worked,
no US ship has ever approached Russian territorial waters again
US needs to learn to respect other countries if it wants to get respected, youngest country in the world and breeds conflict, outside politics, few people like the US government.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
There's evidence. It is just that it isn't going to be made publicly available. It's a matter of national security. LOL... about as common sense as it can get.

This ongoing debate is so ridiculous. What the U.S. government decides to or decides not to put on their computer systems is the prerogative of the government. Any nation has that very same prerogative. Cybersecurity is political. That's about as common sense as it can get too.

The ones who know nothing about highest-level cybersecurity and make comments are like arm-chair quarterbacks who never played football a day in their life, but are complaining about player X.

The thing of this debate is that people keep using it to create drama and acrimony. Just like sordid television with political intrigue. And so I will add my own twist... If Kaspersky wants U.S. government business so badly, then it can close up shop in Russia and move all operations to the U.S. It is almost a certainty that the U.S. government would hand-out visas for the Kaspersky talent.

I would love to see the news headlines if something like that happenned. :)

Reactions: Weebarra
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Typical scare tactic on one another. It's not logical to have a nuclear war. No one would survive. With the arsenal, Russia and the US have combined.
Not to mention bacterial agents. Back in 1970, a scientific paper was published that said, we had the capability to target ethnic groups with biological war affair. I other words if you were Asian or Russian, the agent would kill you.
Pretty scary hug? China and Russia have these too. Not a pretty world. Syria is now saying they will use chemicals and the US has said they will counter much more than before even if Russia and Iran are involved.

Reactions: ZeroDay
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Russia: "U.S. is a thief. It has stolen Kaspersky from us."

Security Forums: "U.S. is a hypocrite ! A thief ! It robbed Russia of a national treasure ! It intrigued, and lied and manipulated."

U.S.: "There is no Kasperksy here..."

:love:
Ok lockdown, what are you drinking. never heard you talk like this before. don't understand what you are saying.

Reactions: ZeroDay and Burrito

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
The UK is leaving the EU, but they haven't left the EU yet. Therefore, they are still part of the EU?

We''re still in 2018. 29th of March 2019 is some time away.

EDIT: Maybe you're correct and I am wrong. It could be be the other way around. I do not know. According to what I've read and heard, the UK haven't left the EU yet until everything is finalized... so that is my understanding on it.
You've got it pretty much right and the majority of what @Local Host has said is incorrect. Unfortunately the UK (I'm a UK citizen) is still very much in the EU, and what the UK government is proposing is a very watered down Brexit, which will almost certainly be watered down even more before 29/03/19, so there is every chance that what we end up with will not be that different to how things are now.

EDIT: Just realised I hadn't mentioned what I thought about Kaspersky. My view is it's probably safe for home users to use their products (I hope so because I am!) but I do have concerns, ie, Eugene trained by the KGB and then working in Soviet military intelligence. I still think Kaspersky have questions to answer.

Oh, and as a Brit who unusually has experience of both Rugby Union and US Football (US Football is way tougher and the hitting much harder), your football analogies are fine with me @Lockdown

Last edited:

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I am using Norton and I do have 2 unused Kaspersky 2-year licenses for 10 devices. Will USA grant me a Visa for that? I sware if I hadn't paid for Norton, I would install Kaspersky. I don't care what Kaspersky is doing. What I know it is good at protecting systems!

military

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 13, 2012
I live in Russia. We use any antivirus software, no matter in what country they were developed.

Unfortunately politics is like a monster, it takes more and more things. Now that someone is accused of no longer need proof. Or, differently, for the proof, you can take anything, even if there is no logic in it.

About the war. China is not our friend. I think in our time there are no friends, there are allies (probably temporary), there are common interests (again, temporary). All is much more difficult that it would be possible to answer unequivocally.

About Windows. Just as the US government is thinking about the safety of their computers, our government is also thinking about (in fact, more strongly). Gradually, computers in government agencies are moving to Linux with our modification.
But ordinary users use what they want. We use the same antiviruses that you have (namely about popular ones) and we use them.

About Windows. Just as the US government is thinking about the safety of their computers, our government is also thinking about (in fact, more strongly). Gradually, computers in government agencies are moving to Linux with our modification.

Anything that isn't Windows is more secure than Windows.

If push came to shove, Microsoft would do what the U.S. government told it to do. Same as Kaspersky. If government agents are there ready to bash your head in with a night stick or put you in jail or put you out of business, you're gonna do what they tell you to do - unless you just happen to like being smashed in the head, sitting in a cell, and broke. And usually it doesn't even take that kind of forceful influence to get corporations to do stuff.

Any government is going to do what it assesses to be in its best interests. Governments do "stuff" all the time and it never causes a blip on the radar, but since this whole Kaspersky thing was politicized, it has become a circus. It's petty. It started out as petty and it is even more petty now because it has been dragging on for over a year. Eugene isn't hurting... he's still a billionaire. And Kaspersky certainly hasn't lost the respect of the IT security industry. It is intrigue for the sake of intrigue. Tabloid next to an over-flowing dirty ashtray...

And if anyone doesn't know the real issue... it isn't exclusively Eugene. The issue also has to do with people who have or do work for him. It's about individuals as well as IT stuff. Research it instead of blathering on about how Kaspersky has been rooked. Connections. Relationships. That's all a key part of intelligence.

Last edited by a moderator:

military

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 13, 2012
And Kaspersky certainly hasn't lost the respect of the IT security industry.
Does respect really exist? I honestly do not know. I can judge only by their behavior. There were vendors who on the main pages of their sites immediately began to write about the fact that the user should remove Kaspersky AV and and offer to install them AVs.
Or do you mean that marketing and respect of developers are different things and may not overla?. Then yes, maybe so.

Theoretically, you are right, the government always has leverage. But the companies are trying to protect themselves, keeping the money offshore and legally the office is also somewhere there. Therefore, we have some users wonder whether the Kaspersky is a russian company.
I liked your message, it looks like the truth. But so other opinions may be similar to the truth. Probably, the main thing is to take all sides and analyze the information, in order to come yourself to objectivity (or something similar).
In any case, the accusations need evidence.

Reactions: bribon77

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.