Advice Request What is your take on the Kaspersky Ban in US, UK and EU?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kaspersky ban is based on .....

• Innocent: the US hearings and EU report lacked hard evidence?

Votes: 46 48.9%
  • uncertain: where there is smoke there is fire,

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • it is fishy: three is a strike US, UK and EU can't all be wrong

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • have not made my mind up in this matter

Votes: 26 27.7%

• Total voters
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

You forgot the most important one: C. You absolutely cannot challenge the power of the state, politicians and their corporate overlords! Other than that, you're correct. An American is free to remain as ignorant and as passive as he likes. :whistle::whistle::whistle::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot:

They are challenged all of the time. For example the SCOTUS has ruled a few times in the last year to reign in the power of law enforcement and many of those cases were brought forth by normal everyday citizens. The US Constitution is a powerful thing for US Citizens. Even actionable intelligence often has to be discarded if proper channels weren't followed. Increasingly, gathering data from US firms as ancillary intelligence isn't even possible as many of those firms outright turn you down. It's not like it used to be in many cases.

D

Deleted member 178

I am sorry but in my view what Umbra says is simplistic and nonsense.
Another one that need to learn to read...
I said "if I was a political leader" not average joe...
it is simple logic.
I don't use stuff my enemy creates.
Will you eat food made by someone that hates you? I don't think so...

And honestly, who cares about Kaspersky's future (except employees) ? If they bankrupt, so be it, there is plenty of replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Local Host

Here's the thing. US Citizens have immense protection within the USA, not just the US Constitution, but also state constitutions and local/regional laws/regulations. Let's assume there is spying going on internally, so what? They can't do anything with the data or they risk exposure of methods and sources, and in the vast majority of cases exposure would also mean liability since they didn't follow the requirements of the law. So let's say DISA or the NSA snags a list of your installed programs and documents. By law, they are required to have a warrant to gather this. If it was gathered due to a 'technical' issue, they are required to delete it. It can't be used as actionable intelligence whatsoever, period.

The golden rule for US Citizens is - you can basically do anything you want as long as you don't A) Threaten others. B) Threaten yourself. Barring those two things, American's have virtually unlimited freedom to do as they please. Even if you go insane, run out and wave, scream and act like a fool or claim you are Jesus Christ or aliens abducted you, nobody can do anything about it. Even if the LE arrests you under the baker act or 5150 you CANNOT be held over 72 hours provided you do not threaten to harm others, or yourself. Even if a psychiatrist says you are absolutely NUTS.

The reality is most likely this - for US Citizens, using a US Based antivirus product is probably your best bet because it activates not only the constitutional protections, but consumer protection laws. Norton isn't going to risk their bottom line spying on you, and the big boys have other methods to get what they need anyway.
Is wrong to assume only in-house Software respects the law (yeah right, they're the first to break it and exploit it), when third-parties provide services in another country, they most obey that country laws.

Kaspersky has uncovered multiple malware from the USA Intelligence Services in the past, and is probably for that reason the USA started making lies.

If I was in USA, Kaspersky would be my first choice only because of all the noise the USA Intelligence Services have been doing with no evidence whasoever to sustain their claims, Kaspersky is in their way in terms of spying on American Citizens (that why they want it out).
China have secrets like everyone.
That is unrelated to what he said, China doesn't care about hiding that it spies on it's citizens and anyone else they can, they to proud to hide their achievements.

In terms of China and their products in the West, there's no lack of hard evidence they been spying on everyone.

Cap21.PNG

I am running Kaspersky, and every time the Russian agent is actively hacking my system, I can smell the vodka on his breath. That's how I know he's there. LOL............

In the U.S., if your system is hacked and becomes a platform to launch attacks, then you can be prosecuted and held personally liable within the same context as the hacker\malc0der.

You cannot plead ignorance of the hacking, ignorance of your system being used as a platform to launch and attack, nor ignorance of the laws.

Under the right circumstances, theoretically, you can be charged with espionage and\or treason.

Like I said, the user is always responsible. No matter what.

Reactions: ZeroDay

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I think there is a lot of paranoia. On the part of the users. Because it does not make sense to spy on you, if you really are not important. I do not believe that China, nor the United States nor Russia spy on a normal user. Another thing is to put limitations on users as in the case of China.:giggle:

Reactions: Burrito
E

Eddie Morra

Kaspersky has uncovered multiple malware from the USA Intelligence Services in the past, and is probably for that reason the USA started making lies.
I am sure you would be annoyed as well if you spent several years trying to track the movements of terrorist organisations in Africa, Afghanistan or Iraq, only for a security vendor to then expose the APT whilst claiming they discovered it through a customer.

I am actually glad that the U.S government develop APTs to target terrorist organisations. It means they are able to gather more intelligence to actually protect their own citizens, as well as those in countries they have a good relationship with, such as the UK. Normal civilians aren't being attacked with such and most targets are in foreign countries like Africa.

Don't get me wrong, of course I know that all governments do shady things and I am neither saying that we should give up our privacy or anything of the sort... but Kaspersky was getting in the way of genuine government operations for counter-terrorism.

It was confirmed that documentations such as the Slingshot APT were from genuine government operations after public exposure.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
The American measure to prohibit, K. in Government administrations. I see it well if they consider it that way.
Because it is certain that the Kremlin will not use Norton or Maccafee either. Even if Russia does not make public

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I am sure you would be annoyed as well if you spent several years trying to track the movements of terrorist organizations in Africa, Afghanistan or Iraq, only for a security vendor to then expose the APT whilst claiming they discovered it through a customer.

I am actually glad that the U.S government develop APTs to target terrorist organizations. It means they are able to gather more intelligence to actually protect their own citizens, as well as those in countries they have a good relationship with, such as the UK. Normal civilians aren't being attacked with such and most targets are in foreign countries like Africa.

Don't get me wrong, of course, I know that all governments do shady things and I am neither saying that we should give up our privacy or anything of the sort... but Kaspersky was getting in the way of genuine government operations for counter-terrorism.

It was confirmed that documentation such as the Slingshot APT were from genuine government operations after public exposure.

Yep.

This.

(y)

E

Eddie Morra

Believe me, I am all for human rights on things like privacy... but I personally feel that sometimes we have to draw a line if we actually want to be safe in the real world.

That doesn't mean I agree with the FBI requests of a master decryption key/backdoor to all messenger services - and such would be catastrophic for everyone's security because it could be abused by other resourceful attackers if they found a way - but I do agree with the decisions various governments have made to conduct research and gain intelligence on genuine criminal organisations in foreign territory.

I do not hate Kaspersky, this isn't the case at all, and they have great technology which is more than sufficient at preventing zero-day malware attacks.

If you are a normal home user then feel free, use Kaspersky. As long as you are not using it on a government system, you can use it. Simple as that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.