Advice Request What is your take on the Kaspersky Ban in US, UK and EU?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kaspersky ban is based on .....

• Innocent: the US hearings and EU report lacked hard evidence?

Votes: 46 48.9%
  • uncertain: where there is smoke there is fire,

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • it is fishy: three is a strike US, UK and EU can't all be wrong

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • have not made my mind up in this matter

Votes: 26 27.7%

• Total voters
E

Eddie Morra

Some time ago I got an email telling me that my yahoo account had been hacked by a nation state and I suspect the US
Would you mind digging back up the notification and showing it to us all here? I don't mean to put you on the spot but I just find it very unlikely that Yahoo literally told you that a "nation state" had hacked your account.

Also, if they cannot confirm which nation state hacked your account, then the notification becomes irrelevant and not credible at all, because if you knew a nation state hacked a customers account, you'd have to know which nation state to know it was a nation state. Otherwise, it could have simply been a large threat actor with sufficient resources.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Eddie Morra

I wonder how seriously all this has affected Kaspersky's sales.
Many stores in the U.S have stopped selling Kaspersky products. I've seen banks in the UK stop offering Kaspersky on discounts to customers in replacement of other vendors. The media (which of course can be government controlled) would have been seen by a lot of geek users at the least.

I'm sure that there will be businesses which will have dropped usage following in the steps of their countries government.

The U.S government dropping Kaspersky alone would have been a lot of lost income.

Certain third-party AVs used it as a marketing trick to boost their own sales, although I doubt this got them that far.

Without a doubt, their income would have taken a hit, but I doubt it will be enough to bankrupt them because they still make a mint from loyal customers and they have deals with other governments which will probably keep them afloat.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Many stores in the U.S have stopped selling Kaspersky products. I've seen banks in the UK stop offering Kaspersky on discounts to customers in replacement of other vendors. The media (which of course can be government controlled) would have been seen by a lot of geek users at the least.

I'm sure that there will be businesses which will have dropped usage following in the steps of their countries government.

The U.S government dropping Kaspersky alone would have been a lot of lost income.

Certain third-party AVs used it as a marketing trick to boost their own sales, although I doubt this got them that far.

Without a doubt, their income would have taken a hit, but I doubt it will be enough to bankrupt them because they still make a mint from loyal customers and they have deals with other governments which will probably keep them afloat.

Also, Kaspersky is dropped (and being dropped) by many hardware manufacturers. For example Gryphon had Kaspersky, but due to the fallout switched to ESET technologies within. ZyXEL is re-examining their licensing with Kaspersky. As you said, many stores stopped carrying it. I suspect a major drop in marketshare over the next years with Kaspersky.

It has no impact on me, I don't use it, and competing technologies work fine for me. I actually prefer ESET in Gryphon anyway for example, and I won't use Russian stuff on my network. (and I really can't at this point)

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
If you can't code your own software or analyse them to the last bit you can never be 100% sure. They say kaspersky spies but would you bet your left hand that windows 10 or Norton or whatever doesn't do it?
I woudn't trust any government 100% they all have own agendas.

Reactions: dabluez98

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
If you can't code your own software or analyse them to the last bit you can never be 100% sure. They say kaspersky spies but would you bet your left hand that windows 10 or Norton or whatever doesn't do it?
I woudn't trust any government 100% they all have own agendas.

True, all governments have their own agendas.

But let's not go to the fallacy of 'false equivalence.'

Some governments respect people and privacy dramatically more than others -- and that is reflected in the companies that operate within their borders.

Reactions: Eddie Morra

dabluez98

Level 3
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
True, all governments have their own agendas.

But let's not go to the fallacy of 'false equivalence.'

Some governments respect people and privacy dramatically more than others -- and that is reflected in the companies that operate within their borders.

again if you're talking about the US government, it absolutely does not respect the privacy of its citizens - most likely it is able to have more complex ways of intrusion through digital technology into your lives. Again just arguing that the government's moral because it says it's moral is too vague and simplistic

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
again if you're talking about the US government, it absolutely does not respect the privacy of its citizens - most likely it is able to have more complex ways of intrusion through digital technology into your lives. Again just arguing that the government's moral because it says it's moral is too vague and simplistic

I said nothing about the US government.

To me.... your views of the US government sound "too vague and simplistic."

Jimbo791

Level 2
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
Ok some very interesting points here, if people are worried should they use Kaspersky or not, just read the PP and think where the HQ is and then do as you want. As far as it been baned by western country's its no surprise with the Cold War starting up again

Reactions: vtqhtr413
E

Eddie Morra

Bottom line:
U.S and Russia are not friends. U.S banned Kaspersky on GOVERNMENT systems. U.S citizens are free to use Kaspersky if they want to on NON GOVERNMENT systems. Stores can sell whatever they want to sell and media can post whatever they want within legal limits.

The U.S can ban whatever they want on government systems. It is their own systems.

D

Deleted member 178

+1 to @Eddie Morra people lost focus, the whole Kaspersky drama was never about home users but the government systems.
And i agree totally with them, the way Kaspersky behaved, it is considered as spying.
Code can easily be changed to target files with specific names and upload them silently.

Any AV with uploading features has nothing to do on systems with sensitives files.

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
update on this: België bant Russische antivirussoftware niet
to put it into English

Prime Minister of Belgium @CharlesMichel does not follow suit to the US government or the Netherlands action to ban @kaspersky . The Center of Cybersecurity found no malicious programs or acts of wrongdoing. https://kas.pr/1gnt

it's funny to see that such a small country, has the balls to show their middlefinger to the US and make their own decisions.

Shame on all other countries who followed the US blindly
I am proud the be a "belg"

hamo

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2014
[B]Eugene Kaspersky[/B] :
Germany-wide survey from @wiwo showcases top trusted software brands by the German consumers: https://www.wiwo.de/unternehmen/handel/verbraucher-ranking-diesen-marken-vertrauen-die-deutschen/23121562.html … A clear illustration that people buy the best technology proven by years of independent testing NOT politically motivated false media allegations.

Dq1p-PfXQAMAR1K.jpg large.jpg

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
[B]Eugene Kaspersky[/B] :
Germany-wide survey from @wiwo showcases top trusted software brands by the German consumers: https://www.wiwo.de/unternehmen/handel/verbraucher-ranking-diesen-marken-vertrauen-die-deutschen/23121562.html … A clear illustration that people buy the best technology proven by years of independent testing NOT politically motivated false media allegations.

They trust Microsoft the most -- of any software. That's interesting.

I wonder why they'd trust McAfee the most of the AVs? Many years of independent testing show McAfee to be pretty lame.

And... Why don't they trust their own G DATA? Maybe @FleischmannTV can tell us why..

1541169361558.png

Last edited:
E

Eddie Morra

A clear illustration that people buy the best technology proven by years of independent testing NOT politically motivated false media allegations.
In my humble opinion, several of the mentioned are not as trustworthy as some may think.

1. Microsoft.
2. Adobe.
3. AVG. I mean Avast.

Each to their own I guess. I edited this post about 20 times.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.