Advice Request What is your take on the Kaspersky Ban in US, UK and EU?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kaspersky ban is based on .....

• Innocent: the US hearings and EU report lacked hard evidence?

Votes: 46 48.9%
  • uncertain: where there is smoke there is fire,

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • it is fishy: three is a strike US, UK and EU can't all be wrong

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • have not made my mind up in this matter

Votes: 26 27.7%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 178

No consumers should trust any companies... just use their products until you reach your limit of tolerance then move to another one that fit you better.
All those people emotionally involved with companies/products, whatever haters/fanboys, are just fools.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Definitely phony. Avoiding all software Kaspersky or made in China. Security software from free countries is already suspect. Security software from non-free countries is straight up spyware.

This news from today would agree.

Huawei helped China with hacks, says Australia
So it turns out all those governments weren't just being paranoid when they barred Huawei from working on networks.
A report from The Australian (paywalled) cites a Down Under government source in reporting that on at least one occasion Huawei was pressed by the Chinese government to provide access to a foreign network.
The article does not give details on who was targeted or when, but claims that China asked Huawei to provide it with log-in credentials for networking equipment the company had sold to someone in another country.
If true, this would validate the worst fears of governments around the world: that Chinese telcos and manufacturers are in fact subject to the whims of Beijing and could at help their home country infiltrate the networks of customers, including government agencies and contractors, in other countries.

Google logins make JavaScript mandatory, Huawei China spy shock, Mac malware, Iran gets new Stuxnet, and more

E

Eddie Morra

When the U.S government ban something, everyone goes off on one for 12 months or longer about how the U.S government are so dangerous and do not care about anyone other than themselves. It goes completely off-topic and turns into a paranoid discussion.

If any other government does something... no one cares and it is hardly mentioned in comparison.

Just some food for thought.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Is only banned in US and UK, and innocent until proven guilty. Over here in EU, no one cares about what the US thinks, no one takes them seriously.

Fact is, Kaspersky is a threat to the US secret intelligence, due to being extremely effective in detecting and removing malware. Kaspersky made itself available from day one to be examined and the US refused and kept making baseless accusations.

The fact US fears Kasperksy is another reason to use it.

Using KTS ATM, I don't think the threat is it's capabilities, but the cloud uploading of unknown files. I agree more facts should be released. I don't see Eugene being some rogue agent of the KBG. He seems like someone I could have a beer with lol.

E

Eddie Morra

That is simple to solve. It's because the US has a great impact on the Western World:giggle:
Russia can disrupt many services in the process of trying to ban Telegram for everyone in Russia (?) over being denied a master decryption key (and it is hardly mentioned) but the U.S government cannot ban Kaspersky on government systems (without everyone being fired off on it)?

I think people just want justification to be angry at the U.S government for one reason or another... maybe they had trouble with taxes last month or got a parking ticket.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Russia can disrupt many services in the process of trying to ban Telegram for everyone in Russia (?) over being denied a master decryption key (and it is hardly mentioned) but the U.S government cannot ban Kaspersky on government systems (without everyone being fired off on it)?

I think people just want justification to be angry at the U.S government for one reason or another... maybe they had trouble with taxes last month or got a parking ticket.
That's for another reason ... Russian citizens are more obedient than Americans:):)

L

Local Host

Using KTS ATM, I don't think the threat is it's capabilities, but the cloud uploading of unknown files. I agree more facts should be released. I don't see Eugene being some rogue agent of the KBG. He seems like someone I could have a beer with lol.
That is hardly a concern to anyone who knows how KNS works, no files are uploaded, rather behavioural information and checksum of suspicious files.

Feel free to monitor your Network and you'll notice almost no information is uploaded through Kaspersky KNS (which proves no files are being uploaded, this a lie and scare campaign made by the USA).

Not to mention KNS is purely optional.
That is simple to solve. It's because the US has a great impact on the Western World:giggle:
The only impact I see from USA in the West at the moment, is a type of comedy show we all laugh at, while watching the news. Ever since everyone knows stepped into power, it has been pretty funny in fact.

E

Eddie Morra

That is hardly a concern to anyone who knows how KNS works, no files are uploaded, rather behavioural information and checksum of suspicious files.
Kaspersky uploaded content from the Equation Group (NSA) when it was exposed to an NSA contractors machine.

I'm not saying that Kaspersky were to blame for that incident - I actually think the only person to blame was the NSA contractor for using pirated content and operating on a backdoored machine (the fool even disabled Kaspersky instead of dealing with the infection)and that the NSA should have never allowed such content to make its way onto the foolish contractors machine - but either way, files related to the Equation Group malware was uploaded to Kaspersky servers... be it related to KSN integration or not, there was cloud functionality which led to files being uploaded.

It was confirmed that the files did reach Kaspersky servers, but allegedly Eugene Kaspersky ordered for them to be deleted immediately IIRC.

L

Local Host

Kaspersky uploaded content from the Equation Group (NSA) when it was exposed to an NSA contractors machine.

I'm not saying that Kaspersky were to blame for that incident - I actually think the only person to blame was the NSA contractor for using pirated content and operating on a backdoored machine (the fool even disabled Kaspersky instead of dealing with the infection)and that the NSA should have never allowed such content to make its way onto the foolish contractors machine - but either way, files related to the Equation Group malware was uploaded to Kaspersky servers... be it related to KSN integration or not, there was cloud functionality which led to files being uploaded.

It was confirmed that the files did reach Kaspersky servers, but allegedly Eugene Kaspersky ordered for them to be deleted immediately IIRC.
As I said before,

Feel free to monitor your Network and you'll notice almost no information is uploaded through Kaspersky KNS (which proves no files are being uploaded, this a lie and scare campaign made by the USA).

and

Not to mention KNS is purely optional.

I don't pity neither the USA nor NSA for the leak of malicious tools, which weren't the first Kaspersky detected. I'm not going to bad mouth a Security Software for doing it's job.

I would be more concerned if Kaspersky ignored or white-listed the files.

E

Eddie Morra

Investigation Report for the September 2014 Equation malware detection incident in the US

In total we detected 37 unique files and 218 detected objects, including executables and archives containing malware associated with the Equation Group. Looking at this metadata during current investigation we were tempted to include the full list of detected files and file paths into current report, however, according to our ethical standards, as well as internal policies, we cannot violate our users’ privacy. This was a hard decision, but should we make an exception once, even for the sake of protecting our own company’s reputation, that would be a step on the route of giving up privacy and freedom of all people who rely on our products. Unless we receive a legitimate request originating from the owner of that system or a higher legal authority, we cannot release such information.

The file paths observed from these detections indicated that a developer of Equation had plugged in one or more removable drives, AV signatures fired on some of executables as well as archives containing them, and any files detected (including archives they were contained within) were automatically pulled back. At this point in time, we felt confident we had found the source of the story fed to Wall Street Journal and others. Since this type of event clearly does not happen often, we believe some dates were mixed up or not clear from the original source of the leak to the media.

Our next task was to try and answer what may have happened to the data that was pulled back. Clearly an archive does not contain only those files that triggered, and more than likely contained a possible treasure trove of data pertaining to the intrusion set. It was soon discovered that the actual archive files themselves appear to have been removed from our storage of samples, while the individual files that triggered the alerts remained.

Upon further inquiring about this event and missing files, it was later discovered that at the direction of the CEO, the archive file, named “[undisclosed].7z” was removed from storage. Based on description from the analyst working on that archive, it contained a collection of executable modules, four documents bearing classification markings, and other files related to the same project. The reason we deleted those files and will delete similar ones in the future is two-fold; We don’t need anything other than malware binaries to improve protection of our customers and secondly, because of concerns regarding the handling of potential classified materials. Assuming that the markings were real, such information cannot and will not consumed even to produce detection signatures based on descriptions.

This concern was later translated into a policy for all malware analysts which are required to delete any potential classified materials that have been accidentally collected during anti-malware research or received from a third party. Again to restate: to the best of our knowledge, it appears the archive files and documents were removed from our storage, and only individual executable files (malware) that were already detected by our signatures were left in storage. Also, it is very apparent that no documents were actively “detected on” during this process. In other words, the only files that fired on specific Equation signatures were binaries, contained within an archive or outside of it. The documents were inadvertently pulled back because they were contained within the larger archive file that alerted on many Equation signatures. According to security software industry standards, requesting a copy of an archive containing malware is a legitimate request, which often helps security companies locate data containers used by malware droppers (i.e. they can be self-extracting archives or even infected ISO files).

TLDR: content was indeed uploaded to Kaspersky servers and it just so happens that it included content from the Equation Group malware because it was included within an archive which was flagged by Kaspersky (detection).

I am not saying that Kaspersky was in the wrong for this scenario. I am merely pointing out that it is possible for files to be uploaded by Kaspersky to their servers unless something has changed since then and now in how Kaspersky handle telemetry/cloud integration. Not that it would be a bad product if nothing has changed since, there are vendors with a lot worse policies out there.

Stupid politics.

This debate is kept alive only by those that are disgruntled and want to promote an anti-U.S. rhetoric.

At this point, the subject matter is over 1 year old and continuing to beat a dead horse serves no legitimate purpose. Any discussion about it is pointless since the primary offended party (Kaspersky) has moved on.

The Kaspersky ban is limited to government.

Therefore, the ban does not affect home users.

People can still purchase and use Kaspersky products if they wish.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Here's why I switched to Kaspersky. I realized that the reason why the US government was triggered by Kaspersky was the fact that this company is actually doing its job. The software was caught to recognize keywords such as tip secret and the codenames of secret government malware which tells me Kaspersky is actively looking to find government APTs so that they can program defenses against them which is exactly what they should be doing. This bothers the Five Eyes of course because they don't want their spy software to leak because the moment Kaspersky detects it, it's over and back to the drawing board. This is really a testament. The US government doesn't think that the other AVs are even a threat but this one bothers them a lot because there would be no need to ban Kaspersky unless they were actually effective at finding government malware. There's no doubt that the FSB hacked Kaspersky but so did the NSA, GCHQ and Unit 8200.

How Russian Firm Might Have Siphoned Tools From the NSA

*Correct Israeli spy agency name.

Last edited:
E

Eddie Morra

Anyway the media says all types of stuff these days so careful before believing whatever you read on any of these blogs. There was tons of misinformation in the past when all of these incidents were huge on news. Media will be... the media. I see they are still milking views from these old events.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
There is also positive news. Kaspersky did create a new center in Switzerland to analyze files.

By the end of 2019 the company has said the Zurich facility will be storing and processing all information for users in Europe, North America, Singapore, Australia, Japan and South Korea, with more countries slated to follow in future. Kaspersky is not exiting Russia entirely, though, as products for the Russian market will continue to be developed and distributed out of Moscow.
Kaspersky starts processing threat data in Europe as part of trust reboot

E

Eddie Morra

I'm not trying to be a kill-joy but those new servers situated in Switzerland could just proxy back to the Russian servers. And even if they do not, it doesn't really change anything in my opinion.

This isn't just for Kaspersky but for any other AV vendor and the government of the country they are situated in. That's text-book knowledge.

The Switzerland servers is just for company image in the eyes of the media because of what has happened over the past few months/year in my opinion. The same way Intel started a proper bug-bounty programme after they were put into a paper shredder machine by the media and public back-lash awhile ago.

It might be a good move for Swedish customers though... at-least they'll have better ping times now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.