What movie are you watching or planning to watch?

Zappathustra

Level 2
Jul 1, 2019
The Killer (2023) with Michael Fassbender streaming on Netflix. About half thru it and took a short intermission. Psychological "thriller" in the sense that we hear what the main character is thinking. I am curious to see how it ends... || ok/good ending, I liked it, so do metascore critics.

The Killer is probably the most forgettable movie of the year. Sorry, David Fincher fans.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The Killer is probably the most forgettable movie of the year. Sorry, David Fincher fans.
We can disagree about that :whistle: I thought well acted (or I like Fassbender), well written -- I like "hearing" the character's thoughts..., ok ending, overall made sense given the context. Well received by critics, average Metascore 72.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Watched Hunger Games latest film which was a prequel. All in all pretty good though some bits a bit thin and a couple of references to foreshadow the original film felt a little forced. We enjoyed it but as with sequels and prequels, they don't quite match the original but worth seeing. Peter Dinklage was particularly good :)

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
What Is It?

The 2023 Netflix science fiction murder mystery drama thriller anime (animated) TV show / miniseries Pluto (Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka).

PLUTO | Official Trailer | Netflix:

PLUTO The Greatest Anime EVER MADE on Netflix?:

My Thoughts

Netflix recommended this anime TV show to me, and I am glad that they did.

I watched the first episode without watching a trailer, and without knowing anything about this anime.

I was amazed by the first episode, the visuals, the tone, the writing, the mystery, the voice acting, the emotions, et cetera all combined into a possible classic / masterpiece.

Furthermore, I even cried one or two tears during one scene in episode one.

This anime is a big surprise, this is possibly anime of the year, one of the best anime on Netflix, and one of the best anime TV shows that I have seen.

This is a definite watch, a 4.5 or 5 out of 5.

Likewise, this anime is like a combination of the anime Astro Boy (which I have not seen), Ghost In The Shell (the anime movies mostly with a bit of the TV shows), and a dash of Lupin The Third (a serious version).

This anime is adult & serious without the unnecessary sex, nudity, violence, et cetera.

It is adult in its tone, mood, style, intelligence, philosophy, pacing, and emotional depth.

This makes the average live action TV show seem more like a cartoon.

This is one of those anime that you can forget that it is even animated at times.

It covers various topics in a more intelligent way than your average TV show, and it covers some perspectives that are not commonly shown in TV shows et cetera.

The last episode was my least favorite episode, I do not like how this show ended, but overall it is still good.

That final episode takes some life & emotional impact from the show, in my opinion.

It is a shame that most people will never hear about or see this anime, it deserves to be known & seen, so go watch it, and spread the word.

Just do not watch it when you are tired, distracted, or when you do not have time.

Reactions: Nevi

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018

What Is It?​

The 2018 or 2020 documentary The Orange Years: The Nickelodeon Story.

The Orange Years: The Nickelodeon Story Teaser:

The Orange Years: The Nickelodeon Story Trailer #1 (2020) | Movieclips Indie:

This is how Rotten Tomatoes describes this documentary:

For millions of children and adults, the Nickelodeon Network is synonymous with growing up. In just a few years, the channel grew from a small local channel to an international phenomenon that helped shape a generation. Led by trailblazing visionary Geraldine Laybourne and her commitment to putting kids first, a group of unconventional heroes turned an underdog channel into an $8 billion dollar juggernaut as the golden standard for children’s programming. The Orange Years chronicles the rise of Nickelodeon, with the actors, writers, and creators from all the golden age Nickelodeon shows that shaped your lives. It’s wild. It’s crazy. It changed the world.

Genre: Documentary
Original Language: English
Director: Scott Barber, Adam Sweeney
Producer: Scott Barber, Shawn Cauthen, Bill Parks, Alisa Reyes, Suzanne Scudder, Adam Sweeney
Writer: Scott Barber, Adam Sweeney
Release Date (Streaming): Nov 17, 2020
Runtime: 1h 42m
Production Co: The Sonic Reducer, GingerKid Productions, Patchwork Media

My Thoughts​

I am glad that I finally watched this documentary.

It almost brought a tear to my eyes a few times as I thought about memories from the past, good memories, of watching Nickelodeon back in my younger days.

Like memories of watching some shows with my brothers and family.

I do wish that they would have spent more time on more of the shows from the 1990s, and had talked to more cast members.

This documentary helped me to realize that Nickelodeon had a bigger impact on my childhood & the childhood of more people than I had expected.

I now wish that other people & I would have watched even more Nickelodeon back then, and I wish that they would have had more educational shows mixed in.

I think that the old Nickelodeon from the orange years combined with more educational content would have produced even more well-rounded & creative adults / citizens / people better fit for the real world.

Likewise, I really do miss those days / years, some of the content from back then, and the time spent with family & friends & classmates et cetera.

I wish that the current generation(s) would have had access to some of these things that we had back then.

I definitely recommend watching this documentary, and I would rate it a 4 out of 5.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Watched - Shadow - IMDB: Shadow (2018) ⭐ 7.0 | Action, Adventure, Fantasy while visually impressive and some cool fighting, just not on my top recommended list. Maybe 6.5/10, for me anyway. Having said that it's been some years since I watched a film of this genre.
Nice, the trailer for that gave me Hero vibes:

Back in college, some of my classmates and I went to see Hero, not knowing that it was English subbed & not dubbed, it was a unique experience.

Thanks for reminding me @ErzCrz, I still need to make a post about that on my blog one day.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Nice, the trailer for that gave me Hero vibes:

Back in college, some of my classmates and I went to see Hero, not knowing that it was English subbed & not dubbed, it was a unique experience.

Thanks for reminding me @ErzCrz, I still need to make a post about that on my blog one day.
No problem :) Same director as Hero and I think House of the flying daggers but I haven't seen either. Just depends on what's freely available on free catch-up :)

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
What Is It?

The 2013 psychological thriller film Enemy that was directed by the director Denis Villeneuve, was distributed by the company A24, was based on the 2002 novel The Double by the author José Saramago, and stars the actor Jake Gyllenhaal & the actress Mélanie Laurent & the actress Sarah Gadon.

Enemy | Official Trailer HD | A24:

My Thoughts

Several years ago, I saw a trailer for a film on YouTube that looked interesting and like something that I would want to see.

Eventually I forgot about the trailer & the film, and I never heard or thought about it again until last year when Double Toasted mentioned it because Korey Coleman liked this film & Martin Thomas hated this film.

Double Toasted mentioned the name of this film, so I looked it up.

Then I realized that it was the film that I saw a trailer for several years ago that looked intriguing, and like something that I would want to see; and that film was called Enemy.

So I decided to watch the movie, the first minute or so of this movie started in an uncomfortable & strange way that bothered me.

A few other parts in this movie bothered me as well, but it helped set the tone.

After that, this film surprised me, and I liked this film even more than I thought that I would.

The yellow tone / tint / shade (color) that this film has & various other elements combine to make you feel a bit off.

It sets an interesting atmosphere and feeling to this film.

This film made me think, it confused me, but in a good way mostly.

I like the tagline for this movie, which is: “You can’t escape yourself”, which is something that I understand & relate to.

This is not a film for everyone and some parts of it bothered me, but I recommend watching it.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
What Is It?

The 2013 psychological thriller film Enemy that was directed by the director Denis Villeneuve, was distributed by the company A24, was based on the 2002 novel The Double by the author José Saramago, and stars the actor Jake Gyllenhaal & the actress Mélanie Laurent & the actress Sarah Gadon.

Enemy | Official Trailer HD | A24:

My Thoughts

Several years ago, I saw a trailer for a film on YouTube that looked interesting and like something that I would want to see.

Eventually I forgot about the trailer & the film, and I never heard or thought about it again until last year when Double Toasted mentioned it because Korey Coleman liked this film & Martin Thomas hated this film.

Double Toasted mentioned the name of this film, so I looked it up.

Then I realized that it was the film that I saw a trailer for several years ago that looked intriguing, and like something that I would want to see; and that film was called Enemy.

So I decided to watch the movie, the first minute or so of this movie started in an uncomfortable & strange way that bothered me.

A few other parts in this movie bothered me as well, but it helped set the tone.

After that, this film surprised me, and I liked this film even more than I thought that I would.

The yellow tone / tint / shade (color) that this film has & various other elements combine to make you feel a bit off.

It sets an interesting atmosphere and feeling to this film.

This film made me think, it confused me, but in a good way mostly.

I like the tagline for this movie, which is: “You can’t escape yourself”, which is something that I understand & relate to.

This is not a film for everyone and some parts of it bothered me, but I recommend watching it.

One of my favorite movies is October Sky, with Jake Gyllenhaal. A nice feel-good movie. Then I watched him in Nightcrawler, and realized what a versatile actor he is, a spooky, creepy dude. The ending of that movie with him and Rene Russo was like something out of Alfred Hitchcock, the love birds watching disaster together.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
One of my favorite movies is October Sky, with Jake Gyllenhaal. A nice feel-good movie. Then I watched him in Nightcrawler, and realized what a versatile actor he is, a spooky, creepy dude. The ending of that movie with him and Rene Russo was like something out of Alfred Hitchcock, the love birds watching disaster together.
Hello @Jonny Quest, thank you for sharing that, I actually have not seen October Sky, but I think that one of my former classmates mentioned it to me back in the day.

I did see Nightcrawler, his look & performance were intense, he looked & acted like a hungry scavenger, and the movie & his performance left an impact at the end; I am glad that I got to see that movie, it is a shame that most of not seen it.

Jake Gyllenhaal, is underrated, he surprised me in several of his roles with his intensity & being more versatile than you would think.

I also saw him in Jarhead (2005), The Day After Tomorrow, Prisoners (2013), and The Guilty.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Here is a hidden gem that almost made me cry (I barely managed to fight back the tears, I did tear up though) that I was fortunate to see for the first time in 2021:

What Is It?

The 2006 adventure fantasy movie The Fall.

The Fall – Trailer:

The Fall Review:

My Thoughts

I found out about this movie thanks to seeing some people commenting about it on the internet, otherwise I probably would have never known about this movie.

The comments all said that this was an underappreciated & less known masterpiece, et cetera, and so I watched a trailer for it.

Lee Pace is in the movie, I was impressed with his performances in the previous two movies that I saw him in, and the TV show Foundation.

So I decided to watch this movie to see if it is really as good as the comments said.

I like finding hidden gems, and so I hoped that this would be one.

This movie is visually impressive & artistic & creative, it is like an artist bringing a labor of love to the screen, it is like a somewhat surreal artistic story told by an adult to a child.

This movie had some beautiful, unique, and varied filming locations; it is worth watching this movie just on that alone, and I forgot to mention that it had some good classical music.

You do not usually see movies like this nowadays, it is what I used to expect when someone talked about watching a movie at a movie theater.

It reminded me of the movie The Cell (2006) combined with the movie The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button.

This movie almost made me cry, I teared up, I started huffing & puffing a little like I was going to cry while trying to hold it in, and I managed to hold it in.

I almost dropped a tear, and my eyes got wet.

Catinca Untaru & Lee Pace were standouts in this movie, I definitely recommend watching this movie at least once, for the unique visuals & experience & filming locations et cetera.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.