Advice Request What security suite or product av choose . Want something whith less FP

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
We need confirmation from Kaspersky before we can conclude WV and Kaspersky can run simultaneously.
According to WiseVector they can both run together.
We heard there is no conflict between WVSX and KIS, so you can enable both FW.
But if you feel any lag, such as slow website loading, you can try to turn off KIS's firewall.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
According to WiseVector they can both run together.
I see. What I mean is that we need confirmation of compatibility from both sides, namely WV and Kaspersky, before we can conclude that WV and KIS can be used together, because I believe WV didn't inspect KIS's code and threat detection rules and vice versa.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I see. What I mean is that we need confirmation of compatibility from both sides, namely WV and Kaspersky, before we can conclude that WV and KIS can be used together, because I believe WV didn't inspect KIS's code and threat detection rules and vice versa.
I highly doubt that Kaspersky would test WiseVector for compatibility. Not that it matters too much. For two products to be compatible, you only need one of them to support being installed alongside other antiviruses, not both of them. If both products were required to be compatible with other antiviruses, then this feature would be of little use, as there are very few antiviruses which have been designed to run alongside other products.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
I highly doubt that Kaspersky would test WiseVector for compatibility. Not that it matters too much. For two products to be compatible, you only need one of them to support being installed alongside other antiviruses, not both of them. If both products were required to be compatible with other antiviruses, then this feature would be of little use, as there are very few antiviruses which have been designed to run alongside other products.
From Kaspersky's viewpoint, you definitely shouldn’t run multiple AVs at the same time. (Running More Than One Antivirus Program)

If you insist on using WV alongside KIS, you may need to disable WV's real-time protection and use it as a second-opinion scanner.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
From Kaspersky's viewpoint, you definitely shouldn’t run multiple AVs at the same time. (Running More Than One Antivirus Program)

If you insist on using WV alongside KIS, you may need to disable WV's real-time protection and use it as a second-opinion scanner.
That's true for the vast majority of antiviruses, because they are not designed to work alongside another antivirus. Doing so can sometimes cause serious problems and in worst case scenarios you'll get a BSOD when Windows boots, or Windows will boot, but you will get random BSODs when Windows is running. This can be a problem too if you uninstall one antivirus and then install another one. Because, sometimes there will be drivers from the first antivirus which the uninstaller did not remove and still get loaded, which can cause some of the same problems you would experience if you had not removed the first antivirus before installing the second one.

However, WiseVector is one of the few exceptions, because it has been designed to run alongside other antiviruses. Because of this, you shouldn't get any of the aforementioned problems. Now there may be rare cases of incompatibility with other antiviruses, but based on reports here and at Wilders, it's not a common issue. It's important to note that you don't need for both antiviruses to support running alongside another antivirus, but just one. This is enough for the most part to avoid issues such as crashes and BSODs.

Reactions: Nightwalker

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
That's true for the vast majority of antiviruses, because they are not designed to work alongside another antivirus. Doing so can sometimes cause serious problems and in worst case scenarios you'll get a BSOD when Windows boots, or Windows will boot, but you will get random BSODs when Windows is running. This can be a problem too if you uninstall one antivirus and then install another one. Because, sometimes there will be drivers from the first antivirus which the uninstaller did not remove and still get loaded, which can cause some of the same problems you would experience if you had not removed the first antivirus before installing the second one.

However, WiseVector is one of the few exceptions, because it has been designed to run alongside other antiviruses. Because of this, you shouldn't get any of the aforementioned problems. Now there may be rare cases of incompatibility with other antiviruses, but based on reports here and at Wilders, it's not a common issue. It's important to note that you don't need for both antiviruses to support running alongside another antivirus, but just one. This is enough for the most part to avoid issues such as crashes and BSODs.
WiseVector said:
We heard there is no conflict between WVSX and KIS
I don't think this means WV has been designed to run alongside other AVs. It is not a guarantee. It just means, based on other users' experiences, running WV and KIS together has worked out well so far. But who knows what will happen if your computer is infected during the next malware outbreak...

Reactions: Nevi and DDE_Server

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
WiseVector said:

I don't think this means WV has been designed to run alongside other AVs. It is not a guarantee.
Can WiseVector StopX work alongside other security software?

WiseVector StopX is compatible with most other security software. However, it is not recommended to install multiple AV on the same computer, so as to avoid possible conflicts and high system resource usage. Avast and AVG are incompatible with WiseVector StopX at present.
What are the incompatible security software?

Avast and AVG are incompatible with WiseVector StopX.

Also see this post.

Reactions: Nevi and harlan4096

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
False positive rate should not be a consideration to choose your primary AV, at least not as important as you make it seem. You should look for a good malware protection and detection, mainly.

You mention you're a gamer, so I'd suggest:
  • Norton (great behaviour blocker "SONAR", extremely light, very smart automatic decisions, non user-dependent)
  • BitDefender (easy on resources, very solid automatic protection)
Other light products that do not block games files and do not depend on users to be efficient:

-ESET, AVG.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021

Also see this post.
This piece of FAQ highlights WV's stability and compatability. Still, it does not imply WV is designed to work with other AVs. On the country, it says it is OK but not recommended to use other AVs alongside WV.

Therefore, both WV and Kaspersky advise against using multiple more than one AVs.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
What is your problem with Bitdefender ?
1-King of Bug
2-King of Fps
3-Poor in Customer Support
4-Very Weak in their data protection (they leave password & usernames of its customers Unencrypted )
you may see:

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
1-King of Bug
2-King of Fps
3-Poor in Customer Support
4-Very Weak in their data protection (they leave password & usernames of its customers Unencrypted )
you may see:
Interesting article from 2015. So BD must be useless then I guess,

I have another more recent article about a different AV company.
Guess Kaspersky must also be rubbish then.

I could go on about all AV companies like this. Should we bash Avast?

If you have something recent from 2021 please share it. Maybe a recent test with BD having over 100 FP?
maybe 50FP? How much is does take to be the KIng of FPs? I think you confusing BD with Panda AV.

Last edited:

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Interesting article from 2015. So BD must be useless then I guess,

I have another more recent article about a different AV company.
Guess Kaspersky must also be rubbish then.

I could go on about all AV companies like this. Should we bash Avast?

If you have something recent from 2021 please share it. Maybe a recent test with BD having over 100 FP?
maybe 50FP? How much is does take to be the KIng of FPs? I think you confusing BD with Panda AV.
Hmm
that article show us BD admins have no cost for its customers :)

about Kaspersky, its just a bug you may see in many softwares (its different from BD mistake ;) )
I mean : (the admins of BD leave users password without any Encryption ) its different from blah blah bugs...

For sure , Avast also is a rubbish why not? :D ( I have no cost for NSA Tools) they are really bad guys!

about King of FPs its very famous you may search in whole MT forum about it :D

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I am using BIS and BTS for several years now on 3 Desktop PCs and 4 Family Laptops.

No bugs nor FP's. Whats posted on MT wont change my opinion.

Has I do understand I may have not had issues but others may have. It does go both ways. ;)
Good chance it seems they work well for you ;)

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Good chance it seems they work well for you ;)
Its a good thing that most AV offer Trials 30-60-90 days.
Only way is to try the product out yourself.

@Andrew3000 IMO I would not compare ESET in the same group has AVAST, Kaspersky or BD. Low FPs are meaningless if your system is compromised.

At best its a second tier AV solution or has AV comparatives rated them a third tier product.Since it missed 18 samples and was compromised!

Tier.jpg

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
This piece of FAQ highlights WV's stability and compatability. Still, it does not imply WV is designed to work with other AVs. On the country, it says it is OK but not recommended to use other AVs alongside WV.

Therefore, both WV and Kaspersky advise against using multiple more than one AVs.
If it was not designed to work with other antiviruses you would see issues like BSODs or Windows crashing. In addition to that, since it doesn't yet register as an antivirus in Windows Security Center, Microsoft Defender does not get disabled when you install WiseVector. As a result, for now, I use it together with another antivirus, as I don't want to use Microsoft Defender. You need to do that, or use a tool like Defender Control, to disable MD if you want to use WiseVector on its own. The problem I've found with Defender Control, is that in time, Windows decides to enabled Microsoft Defender again. By using a second antivirus, I avoid that issue,

In terms of performance, it can be better to use only a single antivirus. But, because WV is so light, if paired with another very light antivirus, it will probably have less system impact than using one heavier antivirus. That was the case for me when using 360 Total Security and WiseVector.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
If it was not designed to work with other antiviruses you would see issues like BSODs or Windows crashing. In addition to that, since it doesn't yet register as an antivirus in Windows Security Center, Microsoft Defender does not get disabled when you install WiseVector. As a result, for now, I use it together with another antivirus, as I don't want to use Microsoft Defender. You need to do that, or use a tool like Defender Control, to disable MD if you want to use WiseVector on its own. The problem I've found with Defender Control, is that in time, Windows decides to enabled Microsoft Defender again. By using a second antivirus, I avoid that issue,

In terms of performance, it can be better to use only a single antivirus. But, because WV is so light, if paired with another very light antivirus, it will probably have less system impact than using one heavier antivirus. That was the case for me when using 360 Total Security and WiseVector.
If it was not designed to work with other antiviruses you would see issues like BSODs or Windows crashing.
Incompatibility can lead to BSOD and crashes in the worst-case scenario and the absence of these two signs does not rule out the possibility of incompatibility between two AVs. The most common signs of incompatibility are system slowdown (daily use) and threat removal inefficiency/failure (when attacked by malware).
it doesn't yet register as an antivirus in Windows Security Center, Microsoft Defender does not get disabled when you install WiseVector.
WiseVector said on KaFan (a Chinese cybersecurity forum) that they are working hard to get WV registered in WSC. Due to a lack of funds, this process is not very smooth. But this shows, once again, WV is not designed to work alongside other AVs. WV should be considered a stand-alone antivirus that offers comprehensive protection.
if paired with another very light antivirus, it will probably have less system impact than using one heavier antivirus.
In this case, Kaspersky is not a VERY light antivirus, because it has System Watcher component. Panda and ESET are all light AVs. ESET, with HIPS disabled, is a much better choice than Kaspersky if you still want to combine WV with a leading AV.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.