What was your first antivirus?

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
Hi there, by this i mean: what was the first antivirus you remember using in your computer? Do you still use it? Why'd you remove it?

The first one i saw ever was avast! after we bought our first computer (came installed from the IT guy). Got to love it and then hate it, it kept missing infections, until one day i had one that made my life impossible and chose to try another thing. Hi Panda Free, it saved me. Then kept migrating from software to software.

What about you?

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

My first was Kaspersky PURE which my auntie bought for 5 PCs for some of the family. Then I moved onto Avast!

My Anti-Virus Timeline (can be found here: PC: SECURE - Tornado's Security Configuration 2016):

Timeline:

2007 - 2009 - Kaspersky PURE
2009 - September 2015 - Avast! Free Antivirus
September 2015 - December 2015 - Avast! Internet Security
December 2015 - January 2016 - Qihoo 360 Total Security
February 2016 - Present - Norton Security

Security software I have used in my lifetime (in order of how I like them 1-5)

Top five (names may have changed, here's what they were called when I used them):
1.) Symantec Norton Security
2.) Avira Free Anti-Virus
3.) Qihoo 360 Total Security
4.) Kaspersky PURE
5.) Avast! Internet Security /Avast! Free Anti-Virus

Others:
  • AVG Free Anti-Virus (really heavy on the system when I used it.)
  • Windows Defender
  • ESET NOD32
  • IObit Malware Fighter (when I knew nothing about security, it corrupted my system!!)

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
My first was AVG on Windows xp. Then we used norton internet security for few years. Then i used for some time on My laptop avast and 360 TS. And finally, I do no longer need and third part antivirus. I stay with defender on Windows 10

Evgeny

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2015
Back in 2005 it was golden Nod32 with its glorious interface ahhh, it was a good time back then..

Looked like this
125652-nod32-antivirus-system-2-5.jpg

Last edited:

mal1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
MSE! Those were the happy days! It never caught/blocked any malwares! :D No detection = No headache. And no matter how mediocre its protection was, the "convenience factor" was priceless.

Then I had Avast free, before I upgraded to Avast IS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.