Battle What Web Browser? - Help me decide!

Compare list
best one is?

9ucto5

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 3, 2022
hi because edge running too much process even if i'm not open it for a few days i try to replace it with one of those browser i mention
so help me out in this please
important thing for me is
safe envirement
fast uplate for security patches or any other things
less bug and problems
good compatibility
privacy friendly
(i dont like brave i test it but not like it so its out of my list)
also tell me a bit about your experience with those browsers
thanks alot

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You've ruled out Edge and Brave so Firefox and LibreWolf are your remaining options because I consider Vivaldi to be overworked, though highly customizable, junk.

LibreWolf is pre-configured for privacy and security but you must update manually or use the unofficial updater extension.

You can achieve the same in Firefox with a customized user profile or manually in about:config and use its internal updater set as you wish.

The choice is yours. Good luck!

For compatibility and ease of use you may want to look at this guide: Firefox Privacy or: How I Learned to Stop Hardening and Love Strict Tracking Protection
If you want to tweak FF yourself you can check these sources:
(Listed in no order of preference)
Yet Another Firefox Hardening Guide | Chris Xiao
Privacy Guide
How to Set Up Firefox for Privacy | avoidthehack!

Last edited:

9ucto5

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 3, 2022
You've ruled out Edge and Brave so Firefox and LibreWolf are your remaining options because I consider Vivaldi to be overworked, though highly customizable, junk.

LibreWolf is pre-configured for privacy and security but you must update manually or use the unofficial updater extension.

You can achieve the same in Firefox with a customized user profile or manually in about:config and use its internal updater set as you wish.

The choice is yours. Good luck!

For compatibility and ease of use you may want to look at this guide: Firefox Privacy or: How I Learned to Stop Hardening and Love Strict Tracking Protection
i'm a bit like edge but those 22 process in background and not make any sense.
i install both liber and firefox liberfox abit lighter imo and big draw back is no auto updater
also what about waterfox?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I ran Vivaldi off and on for a few years. It's bug-prone and if you want a custom look to your browser, be prepared to jump thru massive hoops trying to figure out how to do it. Out of the box, its UI is cluttered and messy as it is.

I found an article about Viv online--it's from 2018 but prob. still in effect today. Firefox seems to be a viable option in your list. There are plenty of privacy guides for Firefox online--but the reason I keep using it is that uBlock Origin works better there.

Of course you can demo all of them, since no one can tell you which one will perform "the best" on your device.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
With manifest v3 rapidly approaching, I can't see how anyone could use anything Chromium based. You'll lose a lot of fuctionality, especially concerning to addons like uBo. Vivaldi has not said much on the matter. Anything gecko-based is going to leave filtering capabilities alone (for now?) I vote librewolf, at least until we know more about who will and will not disable addon functionality with mv3.

There are browsers with built-in ad blockers,, like Brave and Vivaldi. However these are no where near as functiuonal as, say uBo. Thery also do not have decent element pickers.

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
its UI is cluttered and messy as it is
I'm with you. I had the impression that it was too multifunctional and out of focus.

My recommendation is a Firefox derived browser. I support Japanese students because they are working on it.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
There are browsers with built-in ad blockers,, like Brave and Vivaldi. However these are no where near as functiuonal as, say uBo.
Vivaldi can't touch Brave's ad blocker because B offers far more protection overall. Of course Brave doesn't have advanced user mode, but some more fine
Thery also do not have decent element pickers.
Brave has a passable one, though it's maybe not as smooth as µBO's. Improved script blocking may be in the works but don't hold your breath.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
With manifest v3 rapidly approaching, I can't see how anyone could use anything Chromium based. You'll lose a lot of fuctionality, especially concerning to addons like uBo. Vivaldi has not said much on the matter. Anything gecko-based is going to leave filtering capabilities alone (for now?) I vote librewolf, at least until we know more about who will and will not disable addon functionality with mv3.

There are browsers with built-in ad blockers,, like Brave and Vivaldi. However these are no where near as functiuonal as, say uBo. Thery also do not have decent element pickers.
Even if Firefox maintains Manifest V2 compatibility, most adblocking extensions will move to V3 in order to survive. Your best bet is to move to paid solutions like the Adguard app or a combination of DNS based solution with a Manifest V3 extension. Proper adblocking will become a paid (premium) priviledge after January..

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Even if Firefox maintains Manifest V2 compatibility, most adblocking extensions will move to V3 in order to survive. Your best bet is to move to paid solutions like the Adguard app or a combination of DNS based solution with a Manifest V3 extension. Proper adblocking will become a paid (premium) priviledge after January..
they will maintain v2 versions, I think
I don't know when v3 officially replaces v2 (probably never) but I do believe there will be workarounds and it won't affect anything
Paying for an adblocker is not an option for many people

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I will add that unfortunately it seems not all site are going to allow gecko based browsers. For example, today I was trying to sign in to AppleTV+ to renew but I could not sign it at all in Librewolf. I disabled all extensions and blocking natively through Librewolf and I even tried a new profile, but could still not log in. This is just one example, and I've experienced a few others as well. This is going to keep happening as long as Firefox has such a low market share in comparison to the Chromium engine. I don't like it, at all, but I fear a Chromium based browser with an external block, such as AdGuard for Windows, is what we are eventually all going to be forced to "choose."

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Tried the AdGuard MV3 Browser extension myself.
Despite the limitations of Manifest V3, AdGuard MV3 still protects against ads and tracking quite well:
  • Blocks requests to trackers proactively
  • Hides banners, social widgets and other annoying elements
  • Blocks adverts on video sharing platforms, including YouTube
Can't update the filters, can't see ant logs, but it works.
It's work in progress...
At least there is hope for a good adblocking extension that is manifest v3 compliant.
By releasing an extension built with Manifest V3 today — first among developers of ad blockers – we can say that we've met the challenge that Google posed to us. There is still a lot of work to be done, but we can already claim that even after the discontinuation of Manifest V2, Google Chrome users will be able to protect themselves from ads and trackers with the AdGuard Browser Extension.
I'm not worried anymore.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
they will maintain v2 versions, I think
I don't know when v3 officially replaces v2 (probably never) but I do believe there will be workarounds and it won't affect anything
Paying for an adblocker is not an option for many people
Do you think that they will maintain the V2 versions just for 1 browser whose user base is so small compared to the Chromium offerings? I do not think so.
As far as I know, after January, only Gorhill will keep Ublock Origin as is and only for Firefox.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Tried the AdGuard MV3 Browser extension myself.

Can't update the filters, can't see ant logs, but it works.
It's work in progress...
At least there is hope for a good adblocking extension that is manifest v3 compliant.

I'm not worried anymore.
Alex from Adguard told me,
Filters update is impossible with Mv3 extension. You can use this
As you know, I think the whole extension needs to be updated in order to update filters.
YouTube adblocking capability will be important for the future of MV3 extension, I think. I'm confused what I'm going to do. If Edge's Strict tracking + Adguard MV3 works alright, then I might stick to it. Otherwise, maybe I'll shift to Firefox again. Other Chromium alternatives are not satisfying all my needs.
As far as I know, after January, only Gorhill will keep Ublock Origin as is and only for Firefox.
The ublock origin guy has asked everyone to shift to Firefox.
Where did he say this? Any link?

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Thanks @oldschool
I have read it but he is just commenting on Adguard MV3 extension and the mechanics, with no mention if he will implement something similar.
Until now, it seems that he does not want to sacrifice his extension's functionality so he does not intent to create a MV3 version.
If I am wrong, please correct me.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.