Battle What would be a Lightweight Security Suite?

Compare list
Avira internet security
Eset internet security
Zonealarm extreme security
Panda dome
Comodo internet security
Other ...?
In-depth Comparison

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
Hi, looking for security suite - have tried actually payed versions of:
Kaspersky internet security
Emsisoft antimalware
Bitdefender internet security
Norton security
The problem on this mashine is with performance (even with not default settings) od with updates (slowing down) - want to try anything other být dont know-how what to choose- please help mě decide:)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
PAnda- Garbage.
Comodo- Runner up after Panda.
Mcafee, Eset are light, however have their issues. Lighter doesn't means adequate protection and vice versa.
F secure is alright..install and share your opinion
Norton is light and powerful, however too many many Fp's.Trashes almost every new file as (Heur.Adv.ml.b) depending on Community score and file insight
I nicely take issue the statement: 'Mcafee, Eset are light, however have their issues. Lighter doesn't means adequate protection and vice versa.'

I'm not sure what issues both those AV's have, in AV Comparatives for example its a few parts of a single percentage, on other tests ESET has done really well. Most users will never come across the 1000 or so evils presented on the desktop) to an AV solution (as if beamed there Star Trek style) - In absolute terms if a user needs lightness then 'maybe' some protection may have to be compromised, though as far as I'm concerned these compromises are in the ether not on users PC's - The OP did ask for lightness though?

As a side note, I have never has issues with FP's using Norton either which is on this PC (in normal use) The addition of a couple of browser additions can increase security anyway at little slowdown with any solution.

Last edited:
L

Local Host

I suggest you try them yourself, no one here is going to give you an accurate view in terms of performance hit.

As for protection, stay away from Panda. ESET also performs poorly in detections, but you can make it effective by changing some settings (it's not install and forget like the other suites).

For me Kaspersky has been the most light and effective, even though some people claim it's heavy. So as you can see, no one will give you an accurate view in performance hit, you need to test them yourself on your own PC.

Norton is alright but is known to be buggy in the Home Suites, stay away from McAfee as well.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
A potential issue with trying several security programs despite Windows ability to uninstall since Windows 95, few programs uninstall themselves fully, most leaving folders, drivers & registry entries behind.

I've cleaned up so many PC's with the remnants (or more) of several AV's left behind causing problems. The very least you need is a uninstaller such as Revo & and preferably a basic understanding of removing registry entries & maybe drivers/folders. An ideal solution is to use a image program such as Macrium Reflect Free which gives the ability to totally revert a PC without any remnants of trial AV's etc. - An AV that does almost totally uninstall is Emsisoft & well done to them creating a decent uninstall routine.

I think when users say Norton is buggy they refer to the issue I have never yet had of problems installing it with some browsers on some PC's - I have yet to have this issue, otherwise is getting to be almost all Symantec - (as a Symantec rep told me a few weeks back on the phone, they keep the Norton name for home use as it's well known)

Last edited:

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
A potential issue with trying several security programs despite Windows ability to uninstall since Windows 95, few programs uninstall themselves fully, most leaving folders, drivers & registry entries behind.

I've cleaned up so many PC's with the remnants (or more) of several AV's left behind causing problems. The very least you need is a uninstaller such as Revo & and preferably a basic understanding of removing registry entries & maybe drivers/folders. An ideal solution is to use a image program such as Macrium Reflect Free which gives the ability to totally revert a PC without any remnants of trial AV's etc. - An AV that does almost totally uninstall is Emsisoft & well done to them creating a decent uninstall routine.

That's what I usually do: make an image with Macrium. Then try different security apps; uninstall each one with a good uninstaller. Revert to a previous image and only then, install the one I wish to keep. This way, my system stays relatively clean. I could go back to an image I made before installing any security software but...I'm too lazy for that....

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The very least you need is a uninstaller such as Revo & and preferably a basic understanding of removing registry entries & maybe drivers/folders.
A much better option is to use the removal tool provide by the publisher. Revo and other uninstallers which scan for leftovers, will not find remaining drivers, which is an issue if the drivers are sill being loaded at system startup. This won't be an issue if you manually check for leftovers afterwards, but if you don't it can be.

Just about all well known antiviruses have removal tools.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I've used and managed slow/old computers, and despite I have tried -believe me I have- ESET was always the only option that would give the best balance between protection and performance.

Truth is, ESET can be weak at default settings. Nevertheless, tweaking it the correct way to achieve maximum protection can still give you an excellent performance score.

I suggest you check these threads I shared:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Dont use any US AV like Norton , Mcaffee or Trend Micro, their servers has been breached and program code has been stolen.
And whilest living in the EU, they dont comply to GDPR.

Mm.. Agreed
It is a part of a game. Like patches we get 24/7 for any software in the wild.
No software, or coder is perfect, crack nd patch go hand in hand.
No security company would ever keep their customers in breach likely that too well known vendors like these. It is a clock

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.