Advice Request What's good free cleaner for Windows 10?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What's good free cleaner?

• CCleaner

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • BleachBit

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Privazer

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • Wise Disk Cleaner

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • Others (Please make a post)

Votes: 11 12.9%

• Total voters

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
P.S. Do you also block CCleaner Portable via Firewall or it's not necessary to do that with portable version?
I ask this, because this guy does: which writes " See also: Blocking A Programs Internet Access Via The Windows Firewall"
I don't, the portable version doesn't creates background/startup services according to Autoruns so it only connects Avast servers when using it

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
PortableApps.com versions of CCleaner (no blocking, with CCEnhancer) and Wise Disk Cleaner - quite frequently.
Windows Storage Sense.
Kerish Doctor on demand - infrequently.

Have tried others like Mirinsoft Cleanmgr+.
I do have donation version of Privaser but haven't tried it for a long time.

I never clean the registry. Yes, all snake oil tbs :rolleyes: but it's like polishing your car :).
I never have issues and image first if I am unsure.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I was a long time CCleaner with CCEnhancer until the Avast fiasco. I've since used Wise Care 365 Pro, Privazer and BleachBit regularly, running one with an occasional run of another of the three to check what might have got left behind, none have exactly convinced me that they are better by far than the competition. I like them all. If you are new to any cleaner be careful of the settings before running and use a backup option if provided, just in case.. or at least until you are really familiar with the app
As mentioned above don't worry about cleaning out a lot of the windows files that will be re-appear very soon.

With Privacer and BleachBit be careful with the settings, for example it could be very easy to remove all of your system restore files unless you set it up not to do so.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I don't, the portable version doesn't creates background/startup services according to Autoruns so it only connects Avast servers when using it
Thank you.

1. Should be the same.
2. CCleaner portable has the option to check for updates in the program itself under Options > Updates. However, the CCleaner portable zip doesn't include the CCUpdate.exe that normally comes with the installation of CCleaner. So I'm not sure.
Thank you.

Nautilus

Level 2
Apr 27, 2020
Before that avast took over piriform and that whole privacy invading doodoo storm avast created for themselfs ccleaner whas exceptionally good program even better teamed up with ccenhancer. Eventhough they claim that they got rid of all the telemetry and datamining i still not trust any product that comes from the avast house. If you want a simillar product to ccleaner , without the heavy invasion of your privacy , than bleachbit is your best bet , it even has the ccenhancer bit embedded in their advanced settings , so that's a big plus imho..

MegenM

Level 3
Well-known
Jun 8, 2020
For me, CCleaner is the best PC cleaning and maintenance software.

It finds and removes unwanted files from my PC enabling my system to operate faster and more efficiently. By doing so, it also frees up more space on my system’s hard disk.

CCleaner Professional includes all necessary functions like Real-time problem monitoring and erasing traces of your online history.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
For me, CCleaner is the best PC cleaning and maintenance software.

It finds and removes unwanted files from my PC enabling my system to operate faster and more efficiently. By doing so, it also frees up more space on my system’s hard disk.

CCleaner Professional includes all necessary functions like Real-time problem monitoring and erasing traces of your online history.
I don't see any difference in the system performance before and after using CCleaner (I am using PRO version).
The only thing it does is removing unnecessary junk like temp files etc. and freeing up some space.
The rest is just their marketing gibberish :)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I find that almost all third-party cleaners like HDCleaner, Privacy Eraser and Wise Care leave behind local storage when cleaning MS Edge.
Not just local storage (sessions workers, etc), thus I prefer to clean browser leftovers myself. You can try Autodelete extension, it claims to able to cleanup localstorage. Or you can add custom rules for files/folders to cleaners. Edge has probably something like this: chrome://settings/siteData
Code:
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\*service_update.exe" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\Application\*.7z" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\Application\*searchband.exe" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\*history*." /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Current Session" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Current Tabs" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Current Tabs Invalid" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Last Session" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Last Tabs" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\LOG" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\LOG.old" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Network Action Predictor" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Network Action Predictor-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Network Persistent State" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Passman Logs" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Passman Logs-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Reporting and NEL" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Reporting and NEL-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\QuotaManager" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\QuotaManager-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Session Log" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Top Sites" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Top Sites-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Visited Links" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Ya Autofill Data" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Ya Autofill Data-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Ya Credit Cards" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Ya Credit Cards-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Ya Login Data" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Ya Passman Data" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Ya Passman Data-journal" /s /f /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\BrowserDiagnostics" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\AutofillStrikeDatabase" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\BudgetDatabase" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Code Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\data_reduction_proxy_leveldb" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\databases" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\File System" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\GCM Store" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\GPUCache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\IndexedDB" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Local Storage" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Media Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Platform Notifications" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Session Storage" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Service Value Store" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Service Worker" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\shared_proto_db" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Site Characteristics Database" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Tablo Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\TabPreviewScreenshots" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\VideoDecodeStats" /s /q

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Not just local storage (sessions workers, etc), thus I prefer to clean browser leftovers myself. You can try Autodelete extension, it claims to able to cleanup localstorage. Or you can add custom rules for files/folders to cleaners. Edge has probably something like this: chrome://settings/siteData
Code:
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\*service_update.exe" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\Application\*.7z" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\Application\*searchband.exe" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\*history*." /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Current Session" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Current Tabs" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Current Tabs Invalid" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Last Session" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Last Tabs" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\LOG" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\LOG.old" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Network Action Predictor" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Network Action Predictor-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Network Persistent State" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Passman Logs" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Passman Logs-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Reporting and NEL" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Reporting and NEL-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\QuotaManager" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\QuotaManager-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Session Log" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Top Sites" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Top Sites-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Visited Links" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Ya Autofill Data" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Ya Autofill Data-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Ya Credit Cards" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Ya Credit Cards-journal" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Ya Login Data" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Ya Passman Data" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Ya Passman Data-journal" /s /f /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\BrowserDiagnostics" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\AutofillStrikeDatabase" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\BudgetDatabase" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Code Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\data_reduction_proxy_leveldb" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\databases" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\File System" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\GCM Store" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\GPUCache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\IndexedDB" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Local Storage" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Media Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Platform Notifications" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Session Storage" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Service Value Store" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Service Worker" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\shared_proto_db" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Site Characteristics Database" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Tablo Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\TabPreviewScreenshots" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\VideoDecodeStats" /s /q
For Edge it is: edge://settings/sitedata

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
And what's your opinion guys on Cleanmgr+?
It does not offer to clean anything more on my PC, just 40MB for thumbnails and 20MB for software distribution's folder (I would never ever clean that).

Attachments

• capture_07302020_223640.jpg
    capture_07302020_223640.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 162

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I also use Kerish but it really needs a GUI update as it's tedious to use at the present - I use new Edge on my other half's (her who knows all things) lappy but using the setting to clean all isn't very effective whereas Brave clean on exit is perfect - Wise 365 is first class

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.