Advice Request Which antivirus to use for Online Banking protection?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

redvet

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 10, 2017
Please excuse basic question from inexperienced member......
I do quite a lot of online banking and presently I am using a trial version of Kaspersky IS. Can someone tell me what the advantages ( if any) of using a program like Kaspersky which has a 'Safe Money/Banking Mode" such as the ones also in Bitdefender, F-Secure etc. I have tried other programs such as Trend Micro, Avira etc., which use your default browser rather than the Kaspersky method described above. I can recall reading an article which seemed to imply that the Safe Mode was merely a 'cosmetic' selling point. Would appreciate any recommendations/advice and thanks for reading.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You can up your banking security simply using a password manager. This protects you from ending up on a fake bank site by mistake and unwittingly typing your password straight into a hacker's database. The password manager will fail to recognize the banking site if it is not the original, genuine site, so you can't be fooled.

As for Kaspersky safe banking, it does provide some additional protection. Mainly, it protects your banking from security risks that already exist on your system, such as lurking malware and overly nosy browser extensions. If you keep your system clean and your browser extensions are safe, then you don't have so much to gain from Kaspersky safe banking in my opinion.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
1.use a secure dns service with doh or dot to prevent dns spoofing, dns mitm attacks. ( I highly recommend NextDns coupled with yoga dns app, if your router supports doh or dot, that's even better, use it ) . Now browsers also support doh, you can use that too.
2. Do not install shady apps or use apps from unrecognised sources.
3. Make sure that the application you install is signed digitally and is signed by a known good entity.
4. Use up-to-date browsers. Brave,Chrome or edge chromium are highly recommended.
5. Use an extension like "https everywhere".
6. You can use any antivirus application as long as it's updated regularly. Windows defender is very good and if you couple it either with configure defender or hard configurator it becomes one hell of a security solution. Apart from that it's totally free ☺️.
7. Do check the certificate of the banking website before doing the login procedure.
8. Do not install unnecessary browser extensions. Use only what you need. Keep the number to the minimum if possible. Use only the most recognised and known extensions.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Just to add another point I would like to clarify. I have a premium VPN installed, is using VPN better than using AV program ?
No, absolutely not. VPN just hides your identity, some can protect from ads and some shady websites but none can do the work of a good av does. So do have that bit covered by the intended application.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Start an In-Private browsing session to do your banking transactions, which would disable all enabled extensions, leaves no history, prevents cookie storage, conceal sensitive data and stored passwords. Additionally, if you are using your desktop to do banking activities, install Sandboxie, which recently became totally free and opensource, you can perform your transactions in an isolated environment. Having any solid antivirus, even Windows Defender would be sufficient.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Start an In-Private browsing session to do your banking transactions, which would all enabled extensions. If you are using your desktop to do banking activities, install Sandboxie, which recently became totally free and opensource, you can perform your transactions in an isolated environment.
Sandboxie will protect your system from your isolated browser, but it doesn't protect your isolated browser from anything.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Sandboxie will protect your system from your isolated browser, but it doesn't protect your isolated browser from anything.
And also any rogue spyware/application on your desktop that's trying to access the browser. Works both ways when isolated. Extremely useful on shared computers, even within family.

When I was younger, I used to use a whitelisted keylogger to gain access to my home computer when my folks weren't around, because my parents wouldn't share me the password. Oh those days but embarrasing to talk about it now! :p

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
And also any rogue spyware/application on your desktop that's trying to access the browser. Works both ways when isolated. Extremely useful on shared computers, even within family.
The system can see inside the sandbox and has permission to modify files in the sandbox. Go ahead and check it out yourself. Open Windows Explorer, navigate the the sandbox folder, and modify a file. You have permission to do that. I don't see how SBIE provides any protection to banking done inside the sandbox.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Some banks will get upset if you use a VPN, if you do at least use a site at least in your country - in the fullness of time I've found for some sites a VPN can be more trouble than they are worth so I whitelist PayPal, Banking, BBC etc - I accept my ISP will expect me to use such sites - Just my opinion

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I believe that everybody as home user should trying to avoid online-banking on a public network! As already said by others here, VPN just causing more issues than keep using the connection over your ISP, probably all depends on your country and banks...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Online Banking Protection is a lie. You have to quite naive to buy into their marketing ads.

The biggest risk are phishing/scam websites/pages, and following links from unsolicited Emails and Messages.

Only do these tasks from your Home network, not on Public or Free WiFi. Avoid using a VPN. A VPN may interfere with how your bank's website monitors your behaviour when you visit the website, and may trigger an alert, or by temporarily locking you out.

Use an up-to-date OS (ie. Windows 10 v1909+, macOS Catalina+ etc.), a modern browser (Chrome, Firefox, Brave etc.) , a trusted content blocker (ie. uBlock Origin), visit the official Banking website from Google*, or a previously saved Bookmarked. You can use a Password Manager to store your financial data, but personally, I would manually input the data. It's up to you.

If you suspect the presence of malware, adware or other unwanted activity on your PC, do not proceed.

*Using DuckDuckGo without your specific region may show unrelated results.

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
for a year untill a couple of days ago I was an ESET user, did all my banking relying on it. never had any issues. for the past two days i used Bitdefender av plus with it`s own banking browser- safepay. it`s pretty good and safe I guess.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I would go with the advice given by @Spawn
It also highly depends how shopping/banking works in your country.
In the Netherland we use iDeal and iDeal has to sent you back to the shopping site to confirm it's paid.
When using Safe Money from Kaspersky Internet Security or Banking Protection from F-Secure Safe I had issues with not being sent back to the store.
So, an up-to-date OS and a modern browser combined with a good ad blocker is my preferred way to do banking and shopping.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.