Advice Request Which antivirus to use for Online Banking protection?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
how to check the certificate of the bank account and also what about cross site request forgery it is bit tricky ?? Kaspersky to decrypt the traffic to check it so it is
good
also adguard DNS provide DNS poisonings/spoofing protection as you could see
if you are using any kind of https filtering you should disable filtering of banking websites in that application, then You can click on the lock button on the top left corner and see the certificate issued to that website. Adguard has a setting for the same under Network> HTTPS filtering > exclusions ( here you can add your websites you need to exclude the filtering, so that you can see the original certificates issued to that website), you can also exclude websites with ev certificates automatically from filtering by "not" enabling ( default) the provision " filter websites with ev certificates". Using kaspersky or adguard to filter https websites is okay, but it comes with some sacrifices in browsing speed, if your system is not up to it.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
many paid AVs have integrated banking protection. and there are programs that isolate your browser so your passwords etc can not easily be had. banking protection should be able to guard your private information even if you're infected with an undetected banking trojan or rootkit. several paid AVs will use an isolated browser for this purpose. spyshelter was mentioned. trusteer rapport is recommended by several banks. as is webroot. some browsers, such as yandex, have integrated banking protection (so that browser extensions can't lift your banking credentials from within the browser). if you just use edge, or whatever, I believe using incognito mode is similar to yandex's banking protection. there are testing labs that actually infect machines with banking trojans and scientifically decern whether your passwords and/or banking credentials are protected. i like to run webroot with a free AV as complementary protection, and it saved me once from losing my savings via an undetected rootkit infection. or you can just use a Linux disk without installing Linux. check your bank and see if they offer anything for free.

and I wouldn't put my banking information into a password manager. use a notebook. nothings foolproof, but some things actually help. do some research on it and check the lab's banking trials. oh, and don't use a banking computer for torrents or skin sites!! :)

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
if you are using any kind of https filtering you should disable filtering of banking websites in that application, then You can click on the lock button on the top left corner and see the certificate issued to that website. Adguard has a setting for the same under Network> HTTPS filtering > exclusions ( here you can add your websites you need to exclude the filtering, so that you can see the original certificates issued to that website), you can also exclude websites with ev certificates automatically from filtering by "not" enabling ( default) the provision " filter websites with ev certificates". Using kaspersky or adguard to filter https websites is okay, but it comes with some sacrifices in browsing speed, if your system is not up to it.
View attachment 249314View attachment 249315
Thanks bro
yes i am filtering Https with Adgaurd as i trust this software to decrypt the connection for web protection
1605882013869.png

redvet

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 10, 2017
Many thanks to all who responded, apologies for late response due to PC being away for repair.
Now I have so many suggestions which I really appreciate but honestly am no closer to deciding what to do because of the different suggestions but I will be trying a few. I am however, favouring a move away from an AV Internet security program - I just need a bit of courage to do it.
:confused:

ErzCrz

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I've used Comodo Secure Shopping in the past which you can still get free with CIS though you don't have to have CIS installed to use it. (I was recently testing out the latest beta) That's a separately isolated Linux environment but truth be told, I'd rather go into the bank or at eh very least have 2FA on all accounts. It's about ensuring you go to the right site and don't just follow email links etc.

redvet

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 10, 2017
Many thanks to all who responded, most helpful but so many different suggestions I am still somewhat undecided and confused. However, I have installed a trial of Bitdefender Safe Pay and prefer it to Kaspersky, ESET and F-Secure which I have tried previously. Still like to have the courage to try a non-Internet security package, if I had a little more I/T savvy I would - no problem.

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
Many thanks to all who responded, most helpful but so many different suggestions I am still somewhat undecided and confused. However, I have installed a trial of Bitdefender Safe Pay and prefer it to Kaspersky, ESET and F-Secure which I have tried previously. Still like to have the courage to try a non-Internet security package, if I had a little more I/T savvy I would - no problem.
The safest method is to use Virtual Box and a then boot from a Linux live CD. Then inside that virtual machine make it a habit to only ever use it for known good website - such as your bank. After you complete an online transaction, you can always revert to a clean known good pristine snapshot that you made when you first set up the VM.

There's a lot of online guides. It all first appears overwhelming, but it really isn't if you simply are willing to put in the effort to do some follow-along research and most importantly slow down, remain calm and take your time.

Banking on a Live CD — Krebs on Security

The biggest threat is not what is running on the machine you use everyday. The real threat is all the systems upon which all your valuable personal data resides. They get hacked all the time. So your best security strategy is to have 2 checking accounts - 1 dedicated to online purchases that is not linked to any other accounts. It requires you to go to the bank and make cash deposits to fund the account or you can set up direct deposit and fund it with only the amount needed every month for auto bill pay using credit cards. Don't use debit cards. There are online resources to read and learn different strategies for online banking, payments and transactions.

Or, you can adopt the strategy of using only pre-paid gift cards for online purchases.

Yes. It's a nuisance. But you have to figure out for yourself what is more important to you - convenience or reducing risk.

You can do it.

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
Virtual Box isn't very secure itself so if you want booting a live Linux, do it natively without software.
You are correct. Neither is VMWare. However, I only mentioned Virtual Box since it is free and then it would give the OP options to test out what Live CD would work for them.

I'd recommend Tails, but you know how it is... people need to figure it out for themselves what works best for them personally.

redvet

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 10, 2017
I used a Trend Micro trial while I was still considering, its now finished and I have considered and think I want to use Emisoft AV together with Zamana Anti Keylogger ( or simillar alternative ) to cover my online banking.
Will that be OK for someone with little knowledge of how to implement some of the very good but - to me- complicated suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
It wasn't your lack of English phrasing, for the most part phrases such as " Banking Protection" , " Safe Browser" , Wifi Inspector", Webcam Shield" , Data Shredder" etc, etc, are just marketing terms or components you don't really need. An AV either protects your computer or not.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.