Advice Request Which Browser Extension is good ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Which browser extension is good? Privacy, Security & low impact on browser ( firefox already using lots of RAM )

Malwarebytes Browser Guard / Bitdefender Traffic Light / Ublock Origin / Adguard / Ghostery / Disconnect / any other (please specify)

I'm currently using K7 Antivirus Premium with Ublock & Malwarebytes Browser Guard

Firefox
& Chrome extension

Pixelman

Level 4
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
Okay & what about Bitdefender Traffic Light ?
Bitdefender Traffic Light is good too, many here use it. It also depends on your AV. I use ESET IS so I am in no need to use a browser extension for security like BDTF or MBG.
Never used K7 so in that regard I can not advise you.
Malwarebytes Browser Guard / Bitdefender Traffic Light / Ublock Origin / Adguard / Ghostery / Disconnect / any other (please specify)
In fact everything here that you listed I would say is good. Just don't overdo it with the extensions, careful browsing and you are good to go.

In the past I used UBo with BDTF. And it served me well.

Good luck in your search!

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
You asked for extensions that are good for 'Privacy, Security & low impact on browser'.

It is possible to configure Firefox so as it is improved in those respects without the need to install many extensions, through 'About:config' as discussed these articles -

2020 Guide to Hardening Firefox

Firefox Privacy - The Complete How-To Guide | Restore Privacy

Yet Another Firefox Hardening Guide | Chris Xia

Or you could start a new Firefox profile and use a ready made user.js if you don't want to have to make lots of tweaks yourself, such as -

If you want to stick to extensions I'd go along with those suggesting AdGuard and uBlock Origin. LibreWolf, a hardened fork of Firefox, suggests some more in its help pages that the are worth considering -

I can't help with Chrome, as I avoid it and G**gle if I can as I don't like a lot about their attitude to peoples' privacy and security.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
You asked for extensions that are good for 'Privacy, Security & low impact on browser'.

It is possible to configure Firefox so as it is improved in those respects without the need to install many extensions, through 'About:config' as discussed these articles -

2020 Guide to Hardening Firefox

Firefox Privacy - The Complete How-To Guide | Restore Privacy

Yet Another Firefox Hardening Guide | Chris Xia

Or you could start a new Firefox profile and use a ready made user.js if you don't want to have to make lots of tweaks yourself, such as -

If you want to stick to extensions I'd go along with those suggesting AdGuard and uBlock Origin. LibreWolf, a hardened fork of Firefox, suggests some more in its help pages that the are worth considering -

I can't help with Chrome, as I avoid it and G**gle if I can as I don't like a lot about their attitude to peoples' privacy and security.
So how can I optimize firefox for low config system?

Reactions: Dave Russo

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What are your PC specs and total installed RAM?

Modern OSes can manage RAM better than 20 years ago, so RAM usage should not matter. It may be an issue if there is not enough RAM to support the system hardware, or the CPU is spiking high consumption on tabs. Otherwise let Firefox eat the RAM.

If you are planning on installing more extensions, you may need to agree to additional Terms of Use and Privacy Policies with your data, and may need to opt-out of data sharing.

If you want Privacy, dump Google Chrome. If you have a Google account and signed in, your Chrome sync data will be stored in the cloud. Bookmarks and extensions can be transferred to other browsers.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
What are your PC specs and total installed RAM?

Modern OSes can manage RAM better than 20 years ago, so RAM usage should not matter. It may be an issue if there is not enough RAM to support the system hardware, or the CPU is spiking high consumption on tabs. Otherwise let Firefox eat the RAM.

If you are planning on installing more extensions, you may need to agree to additional Terms of Use and Privacy Policies with your data, and may need to opt-out of data sharing.

If you want Privacy, dump Google Chrome. If you have a Google account and signed in, your Chrome sync data will be stored in the cloud. Bookmarks and extensions can be transferred to other browsers.

Computer Configuration:-

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.09 GHz
RAM: DDR3 8 GB
128GB SSD
500 GB HDD
Windows 10 Pro X64 22H2 (installed on SSD) up to date

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
So how can I optimize firefox for low config system?
I don't think the suggestions that I made will have much effect on a low powered (think that is what you may mean when saying 'low config system'), other than to help Firefox work better - for example blocking a lot of the ads that would otherwise be loading and using your bandwidth and power

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
I don't think the suggestions that I made will have much effect on a low powered (think that is what you may mean when saying 'low config system'), other than to help Firefox work better - for example blocking a lot of the ads that would otherwise be loading and using your bandwidth and power
So as per my computer config, what's your suggestion to optimize firefox ??

Reactions: Dave Russo

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
So as per my computer config, what's your suggestion to optimize firefox ??
I think that for your computer adding a few extensions like Adguard, uBlock and maybe an open-source password manager will help a lot. Then I suggest that you read the links I included above and decide for yourself if you want to make any of the browser configurations listed in them.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.