Advice Request Which Browser Extension is good ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

WildCat

Oct 7, 2022
Honestly, just Ublock Origin + NextDNS for Firefox if you are a bit more serious on Privacy & Security. And you dont need to install a 17,78mb heavy Addon from Malwarebytes ... what is installed even bigger. NextDNS has the same Protections like Malwarebytes Browser Guard + even more features (except of Skimmer Protection) and you dont need to install anything.

*I can recommend you additionally to that an Anti-Fingerprint Extension like Canvasblocker on "stealth" or "max settings" or Jshelter with "recommend" settings.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Honestly, just Ublock Origin + NextDNS for Firefox if you are a bit more serious on Privacy & Security. And you dont need to install a 17,78mb heavy Addon from Malwarebytes ... what is installed even bigger. NextDNS has the same Protections like Malwarebytes Browser Guard + even more features (except of Skimmer Protection) and you dont need to install anything.

*I can recommend you additionally to that an Anti-Fingerprint Extension like Canvasblocker on "stealth" or "max settings" or Jshelter with "recommend" settings.
DNS-over-HTTPS settings on Firefox? I changed DOH to NextDNS with Ublock Origin but it unable to block a malware / trojan website while Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension detect malware / trojan.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
DNS-over-HTTPS settings on Firefox? I changed DOH to NextDNS with Ublock Origin but it unable to block a malware / trojan website while Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension detect malware / trojan.
You need to use one of their pricing substriction , free is 300k queries a month...doubt the firefoxs doh blocks anything

If you can say that wich site is malicious you really only need ublock origin, you can even set it to medium mode to be more cautios

Id still recommend you to stay with malwarebytes browser guard, its excellent and tld protection it has is great

All though i dont think that malware is the problem that exist, its more of an phishing nowadays...you could give netcraft a go aswell

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Which browser extension is good? Privacy, Security & low impact on browser ( firefox already using lots of RAM )

Malwarebytes Browser Guard / Bitdefender Traffic Light / Ublock Origin / Adguard / Ghostery / Disconnect / any other (please specify)

I'm currently using K7 Antivirus Premium with Ublock & Malwarebytes Browser Guard

Firefox
& Chrome extension
The free uBlock Origin (or Adguard Browser Extension, which is not as good as uBlock Origin, in my opinion, but it is my third favorite ad blocker after Brave Browser's built-in ad blocker; but uBlock Origin is better than those two) and Malwarebytes Browser Guard web browser extensions, the free Adguard DNS default public DNS servers as your DNS service, and your web browser's free built-in security / privacy protections.

Last edited:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
This page on the Adguard site has a fairly comprehensive list of DNS providers, some are free, some open-source and some for specific purposes. The information provided should give you a clear idea of what suits your needs the best.

I would steer clear of the Google and Cloudflare ones for privacy reasons. Quad9 may be the best to use from that list, or use Adguard ones.

This earlier MT thread on DNS may interest you, it covers various DNS suppliers and things like DNSJumper, which might help if you want to be able to change the DNS quickly and easily.

You might recognise some of the dubious characters involved in that thread!

Are you using

In Firefox this is another good way to maintain some privacy. websites in one container can't track what you do in another container.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Are you using

In Firefox this is another good way to maintain some privacy. websites in one container can't track what you do in another container.

Most likely unnecessary to use containers for most people.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
If one is not using Facebook one should simply block all facebook related domains. But I get your point. :)
Facebook Pixel and Like are seemingly everywhere.

Coincidentally, I'm using Librewolf and it has just frozen, never seen it do that before. That Facebook Pixel is very powerful!

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
This page on the Adguard site has a fairly comprehensive list of DNS providers, some are free, some open-source and some for specific purposes. The information provided should give you a clear idea of what suits your needs the best.

I would steer clear of the Google and Cloudflare ones for privacy reasons. Quad9 may be the best to use from that list, or use Adguard ones.

Out of the listed services I would either consider, and/or can vouch for, the following:
Initiatives:
  • AhaDNS
  • Applied Privacy DNS
  • BlahDNS
  • DNS.Watch
    • note: it's DNS.WATCH, not dnswatch.<insert-tld>. The latter onces are scamware at best, profiting on a good name.

Companies:
  • Mullvad
  • Neustar
    • note: private company, but their DNS service has proven to be consistent, stable, and decent since forever.
  • NextDNS
  • Quad9

side-mentions:
  • ControllD
    • note: DNS subsidiary company of Windscribe.
  • Dandelion Sprout's Official DNS Server
    • note: see link for more info.
Although, I personally keeping hopping between Quad9 and my ISP's default DNS servers. Quad9 resolves noticeably slower within Firefox over DNS-over-HTTPS than my ISP does, however, It does block malware and such out of the box. I'm fortunate enough that my ISP has reliable and fast DNS servers in that regard.

Edit: fixed format... post went nuts...

Last edited:

WildCat

Oct 7, 2022
You need to create a free Account and use your ID given url there , not the standard predetermined NextDNS settings in Firefox. You can also add your custom configuration IP in the network settings in windows (only ipv6) , so it works systemwide (what i would more recommend) and maybe another blocklist if you want , like "oisd" for example .What is from my opinion the best one ,it blocks all the nasty things and even exploits and ransomware and it doesnt break any pages. "WindowsSpyBlocker (Spy)" blocklist is also very recommend to block more Spy/Telemetry alongside NextDNS´ "Native Tracking Protection" services in Windows 10 & 11. Just take a look, there are many great options and lists there.

Adguard DNS unfortunately doesn't have all that. There are only blocklists that you can add if you create an account there . Its by the way also limited like NextDNS to 300,000 queries per month, but what is acually really generous enough.

But If you absolutely want to use a Security Extension for Pishing/Malware besides Ublock Origin, then i can only recommend you the one from Emsisoft. Its also Browser independent like Malwarebytes Browser Guard,very very light and sends zero data at home.

Here is a little preview from "some" of the main settings:
2.jpg
nextdns.jpg

Last edited:

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
You need to create a free Account and use your ID given url there , not the standard predetermined NextDNS settings in Firefox. You can also add your custom configuration IP in the network settings in windows (only ipv6) , so it works systemwide (what i would more recommend) and maybe another blocklist if you want , like "oisd" for example .What is from my opinion the best one ,it blocks all the nasty things and even exploits and ransomware and it doesnt break any pages. "WindowsSpyBlocker (Spy)" blocklist is also very recommend to block more Spy/Telemetry alongside NextDNS´ "Native Tracking Protection" services in Windows 10 & 11. Just take a look, there are many great options and lists there.

Adguard DNS unfortunately doesn't have all that. There are only blocklists that you can add if you create an account there . Its by the way also limited like NextDNS to 300,000 queries per month, but what is acually really generous enough.

But If you absolutely want to use a Security Extension for Pishing/Malware besides Ublock Origin, then i can only recommend you the one from Emsisoft. Its also Browser independent like Malwarebytes Browser Guard,very very light and sends zero data at home.

Here is a little preview from "some" of the main settings: View attachment 270337View attachment 270335
Okay thanks, please give me the link of Emsisoft browser extension which your recommendation

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
The free uBlock Origin (or Adguard Browser Extension, which is not as good as uBlock Origin, in my opinion, but it is my third favorite ad blocker after Brave Browser's built-in ad blocker; but uBlock Origin is better than those two) and Malwarebytes Browser Guard web browser extensions, the free Adguard DNS default public DNS servers as your DNS service, and your web browser's free built-in security / privacy protections.
Is it safe to use Brave browser on desktop?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.