Advice Request Which Browser Extension is good ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Thanks for sharing, I had seen one day the Adguard DNS I don't remember where, but I didn't write it down, now I will test it and see how it performs.
You are welcome, the Adguard DNS Public Family Protection DNS Servers blocks even more things like adult websites, you can find all the Adguard DNS Public DNS servers at: Connect to public AdGuard DNS server

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
If you use a chromium based browser, there is not much need for an additional extension, I tested all of them on brave and they were all blocked by Google Safe Browsing
View attachment 270383
Just because it can block some well known testing sites, that doesn't mean that Chromium based browsers offer enough protection for the average user.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Just because it can block some well known testing sites, that doesn't mean that Chromium based browsers offer enough protection for the average user.

Yes indeed you are right, these are known pages and links, that is why Google Safe Browsing blocked all of them. Seeing that @Shadowra posted, relying on browser protection alone will not be enough for the average user.(y)

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Bitdefender Trafficlight spys on your browsing history and sends every site you visit as full url at home just like Avira, Avast,AVG ,Norton etc. do. What is absolute unnecessary. Such Addons should honestly be all banned from the stores. And even if you can put the tracking checkmark out on Malwarebytes Browser Guard , i have tough my concerns that it will really shut up. Alone just because they give you a unique ID for your PC just like the Vivaldi Browser does but that counts so far i have seen only for Malwarebytes Premium. But at least is the Anti-Pishing by their addon top notch and better then by Emsisoft and Bitdefender, i can agree with that.
Okay then it's better to stay with Malwarebytes Browser Guard with uBlock Origin

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
NextDNS is blocking all with multiple blocklists.

View attachment 270376
NextDNS premium??

Yep, my local library uses it on Linux, I use it on Android, and I used to use it on Windows until I started using Microsoft Edge because it has more features now (except it does not have built-in ad blocking, unfortunately, yet).

Brave Browser is free and open source like Mozilla Firefox is.

Malwarebytes Browser Guard is better at blocking scams, spam, PUP, adware, and other grayware type websites than Bitdefender TrafficLight in my experience and in the tests that I have seen here & on YouTube.

I know that you can install Emsisoft Browser Security from the Chrome Web Store for Brave Browser, but I do not think that it is worth using from the times that I have used it and from the tests that I have seen here & on YouTube.

In my tests (testing it on bootleg & adult streaming video websites with lots of ads (normal, pop-ups, phishing, scam, adware, et cetera) it has not blocked much if anything compared to Malwarebytes Browser Guard, uBlock Origin, et cetera.
Thanks, it's better to stay with MB Browser Guard with UBO. Also I'm planning to install Brave X64 on my system

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018

I have never seen Firefox et cetera outperform Google Chrome's Google Safe Browsing in Enhanced Mode or Microsoft Edge's Microsoft Defender SmartScreen with all settings turned on in any independent tests against malicious / phishing / grayware links.

For example, Google Chrome still did better than Firefox even without Enhanced Mode enabled, and Microsoft Edge did better than both without all of its settings turned on: Most Secure Browser? Chrome vs Firefox vs Edge:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
NextDNS premium??
NextDNS free too, as long as you don't reach the 300k queries.

I have never seen Firefox et cetera outperform Google Chrome's Google Safe Browsing in Enhanced Mode or Microsoft Edge's Microsoft Defender SmartScreen with all settings turned on in any independent tests against malicious / phishing / grayware links.

For example, Google Chrome still did better than Firefox even without Enhanced Mode enabled, and Microsoft Edge did better than both without all of its settings turned on: Most Secure Browser? Chrome vs Firefox vs Edge:

That wasn't really the point actually. I just meant that built in browser protection isn't necessarily good enough for the average user.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
NextDNS free too, as long as you don't reach the 300k queries.

That wasn't really the point actually. I just meant that built in browser protection isn't necessarily good enough for the average user.
Oh, yeah, I mostly agree, it is almost good enough, but adding a free ad blocker, maybe something like Malwarebytes Browser Guard, and a free DNS with filtering with it is the better layered approach, in my opinion.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.