Battle Which DNS would you choose for Security and Content blocking?

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
been using simple dnscrypt for few months now, it has cloudflare dns and Cryptostorm's and many other resolvers
extremely fast for sure

Hi @Adz! If you want/can, please answer my questions:

1) After reading your post, I went to (Simple DNSCrypt) and installed Simple DnsCrypt for Windows. Did I use the right link?

2) How do I know if DnsCrypt is working after installed?

3) I want to use 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 => Please, how do I configure it with DnsCrypt?

4) At the green DnsCrypt' gui I can see lots of settings, tabs etc. Do I need to configure anything there? What are your recommendations?

5) Did you see any down effect in computer/browser performance? RAM? CPU? Internet speed? Etc?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Adz.

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2016
Hi @Adz! If you want/can, please answer my questions:

1) After reading your post, I went to (Simple DNSCrypt) and installed Simple DnsCrypt for Windows. Did I use the right link?

2) How do I know if DnsCrypt is working after installed?

3) I want to use 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 => Please, how do I configure it with DnsCrypt?

4) At the green DnsCrypt' gui I can see lots of settings, tabs etc. Do I need to configure anything there? What are your recommendations?

5) Did you see any down effect in computer/browser performance? RAM? CPU? Internet speed? Etc?

Thanks in advance for your help!

easy and simple to setup, but i'll throw some screenshots for you :)

where you see "service" make sure you enable DNSCrypt service, if you want it all run in the background
then hover over "resolvers" tab
vqXU77a.png

on the resolvers tab, you can either enable automatic mode (which picks the closest resolver for you) or you can manually click on which ever resolver you want, you can pick multiple resolvers. you'll see cloudflare resolver too.
V1rtMmL.png

i'm not on a high end pc, i'm running 4gb ram system. after having the dnscrypt service enabled, i noticed a slight performance drop, i mean slight, nothing major. infact you might not even notice it.

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Many thanks @Adz. ! Your explanation was perfect!

Please, last questions:

1) Is there a way to test if DnsCrypt works?

2) No settings changes at "Advanced Settings" tab?

3) Do I need to change settings in my modem/router?

Adz.

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2016
Many thanks @Adz. ! Your explanation was perfect!

Please, last questions:

1) Is there a way to test if DnsCrypt works?

2) No settings changes at "Advanced Settings" tab?

3) Do I need to change settings in my modem/router?

1: My IP Address - BrowserLeaks.com also make sure you've selected your network under "network cards", so mine is local area connection, yours will show grey, just click it until you see green
2: top right, you'll see settings icon, next to the smiley face
3: no changes needed on your router

Reactions: Decopi

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
@Adz. thanks once again!

1) The test worked (thank you!). But I have a problem. DNSCrypt is connecting to CloudFlare... but in England! So, I have a big delay in internet speed. Tomorrow I will google the issue, to learn how to configure DNSCrypt to use my nearest CloudFlare servers.

2) Sorry, I did not understand your answer. I know where "Advanced Settings" tab is located. I just asked you if I need to change something there.

Adz.

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2016
this is how dnscrypt works, i have cloudflare resolver enabled but sometimes it connects me to a different location
i wouldn't look at the advanced tab yet, the default settings are fine :)

Reactions: Decopi

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hi @Adz. ,

I solved the CloudFlare England issue.
The problem was the IPV6 settings. It seems that IPV6, today works only with CloudFlare United Kingdom servers. I unchecked CloudFlare IPV6, left alone CloudFlare IPV4... and problem solved. In the future, having more demand for IPV6, I hope CloudFlare will have more IPV6 servers all over the world.

I also would like to add that I didn't see performance issues (RAM, CPU, internet speed etc).

So, my final conclusion is that DNSCrypt not only is great, but also in my opinion is very undervalued. In fact, I need to search why this tool is not a "must have" in every computer (It seems that DNSCrypt is abandoned by his Developer).

Thank you for your post talking about DNSCrypt.
I tested other DNS with filters, but their phishing/malware/ads etc blocker... are very bad.
I prefer the CloudFlare speed + browser add-ons/extensions blocking phishing/malware/ads. My choice combined with several privacy/security tweaks (FIP & Containers) and now DNSCrypt... it seems good enough for me.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasudev and Adz.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.