Battle Which DNS would you choose for Security and Content blocking?

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
@Evjl's Rain ... as usual, very nice comparisons from your side! Thank you!
In my opinion, DNS tests are complex, in the sense that server proximity should be taken into account. Even the best DNS with filters, if the server is not near, internet speed will hurt.
Also considering your tests (and my own tests), DNS filters are not so good. I prefer the faster DNS without filters (CloudFlare).
A better filtering can be done with add-ons/extensions (Netcraft, Malwarebytes etc).
Perhaps the Pi-hole is the ultimate solution. I need to test.

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Evjl's Rain ... as usual, very nice comparisons from your side! Thank you!
In my opinion, DNS tests are complex, in the sense that server proximity should be taken into account. Even the best DNS with filters, if the server is not near, internet speed will hurt.
Also considering your tests (and my own tests), DNS filters are not so good. I prefer the faster DNS without filters (CloudFlare).
A better filtering can be done with add-ons/extensions (Netcraft, Malwarebytes etc).
Perhaps the Pi-hole is the ultimate solution. I need to test.
(y)
exactly, DNS is indeed a complex problem
in my location, Quad9 is extremely slow and Cloudflare is blocked by the ISP

DNS blocking useful for users who don't have a proper web filter

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
@Evjl's Rain , yes CloudFlare has some issues in several countries. You will find more details by googling it. However, it seems that most of the problems are being solved very quickly. In part due to very proactive CloudFlare' actions. If you let me a suggestion, go to CloudFlare forum, and post your problem... I believe your ISP can't block your DNS (at least in democratic countries)... CloudFlare will contact your ISP.

But there is another nasty problem with CloudFlare. The 1.1.1.1 address was already taken by many modem/routers in order to access their gateway gui. In other words, in your case it might be that the problem is not your ISP, but your modem/router. This problem demands a firmware update. At the CloudFlare forum you will find the list of the modem/routers affected. The good news is that most of them have not problems with 1.0.0.1.

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
(y)
exactly, DNS is indeed a complex problem
in my location, Quad9 is extremely slow and Cloudflare is blocked by the ISP

DNS blocking useful for users who don't have a proper web filter
Cloudfare was slow for me and Quad9 was tad bit faster than CF and miles ahead of google DNS.
Time to switch ISP.

KalEl82

Nov 7, 2018
Norton is shutting down their DNS ConnectSafe.

"On November 15, 2018, Norton ConnectSafe service is being retired or discontinued meaning the service will no longer be available or supported. You may continue to use ConnectSafe until November 15, 2018. "

Reactions: Vasudev

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront
are you using keweonDNS with windows and if you are how do you set this up in your router as I don't have any servers and I didn't see any primary and secondary DNS addresses
Yes, I just set it in Windows nothing in the router. Just scroll down in the below link and you can find the Pri and Sec DNS addresses

keweonDNS - now with DoH on INTRA

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Neustar and cleanbrowsing seem to be the 2 kings of free content-blocking DNS
tested with 23 live links on vxvault with different urls (removed links from the same domain). Norton DNS is dead so it's out of the test
cleanbrowsing 17/23
neustar 18/23
greenteam 1/23
Quad9 5/23
OpenDNS 0/23
adguard 0/23

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Neustar seems to be consistent.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.