• Heuristic Command-line Monitoring

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • Cloud Lookup

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • Viruscope

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • Shortened (Edited) Trusted Vendors List

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Detect PUP Software (setting in File Rating Settings)

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Desktop Widget

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Killstart

Votes: 12 24.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Some users over think security.

I blame most of that on the IT security fear mongering reports. If that sector would report the actual risks clearly people wouldn't freak out so badly, but I guess that does not generate site traffic. Unethical sods. Besides, most of the people writing the reports don't know what they are writing about. They're just copying what somebody else said. So how does anybody expect them to explain the actual risks to the user base ?

Users live and learn. After a couple years of trial and error comedies using 15 security soft layered configs they realize they don't get infected by DPRK malwares and Stuxnet. That stuff is for the comic books.

Too many bugs, too many problems, too many things go wrong. Simple is better.

Been there, done that. You reach a point where enough is enough and you refuse to do it anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Umbra I think you have a love hate for Comodo, or am I wrong?
Yep, it was the 2nd security soft i learned (when it was at its peak with v3-4), then went down the hill...sometimes i like to use it for a while until it upsets me for some reasons.

Honestly i could go just without any security softs but it is my passion, so i always install some even if i totally don't need it.
I used Linux for quite a while but i always came back to Windows, because there is more fun on it :p

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I blame most of that on the IT security fear mongering reports. If that sector would report the actual risks clearly people wouldn't freak out so badly, but I guess that does not generate site traffic. Unethical sods. Besides, most of the people writing the reports don't know what they are writing about.
Interesting point. We have learned to take general media reporting with a grain or two of salt, but we still think these dudes are the Word of Truth.

Reactions: bribon77 and AtlBo

Interesting point. We have learned to take general media reporting with a grain or two of salt, but we still think these dudes are the Word of Truth.

Next time you look at an article, check the author. You will find 90 to 95 % of the articles are merely copies or regurgitations of a single, original article. Almost never does anyone state the actual specific risk to users - for example - this applies only to Windows 7 with this specific configuration. It is only after days or weeks that the actual risk factors and details are made known. By the time those infos are released, user panic might have reached such a fever pitch that nobody is going to pay attention as was the case of EB\DB and SMB. So many people freaked out over it for months, "patching" their systems when they never were at risk.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Well said, Lockdown! News reports lately have been about malware that aside from being rare are also often targeted, and as such of little realistic concern for the Home user.
It helps to have a little mindfulness for these stuff although ironically mindfulness' benefits might also have likely been sensationalized.
I think the trap card has been set.

Reactions: AtlBo and bribon77

It helps to have a little mindfulness for these stuff although ironically mindfulness' benefits might also have likely been sensationalized.
I think the trap card has been set.

The article writers probably have incentives to over-dramatize or sensationalize the facts. Site traffic is more important than anything else, therefore IT security news reports very often get blown way out of proportion.

The average article reader does not know these facts.

Reactions: bribon77

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
The article writers probably have incentives to over-dramatize or sensationalize the facts. Site traffic is more important than anything else, therefore IT security news reports very often get blown way out of proportion.

The average article reader does not know these facts.
I think it's just intrinsic for humans to be biased on the flashy. Practically most reporters are biased towards rare and dramatic events over the boring and banal and people generally remember the rare and also the negative stuff. Rationalizations towards this strategy though could've been built from false data which might temporarily end once enough people don't trust the conclusions.

I think it's just intrinsic for humans to be biased on the flashy. Practically most reporters are biased towards rare and dramatic events over the boring and banal and people generally remember the rare and also the negative stuff. Rationalizations towards this strategy though could've been built from false data which might temporarily end once enough people don't trust the conclusions.

The people writing the articles get paid to direct people to the site. It's all about site traffic and click bait ad revenue.

Reactions: bribon77 and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Does anyone know how to tweak Comodo HIPS registry protection, so it will only alert for critical registry areas?
My experimental solution is to monitor only "Automatic Startup" and "Comodo Keys". I removed "Important Keys" from registry protection. So far, so good. The alerts are manageable.
There are probably some critical entries in "Important Keys", but that requires more research.

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
@shmu26 I think if you run Comodo beside an a-v with good BB, it should monitor important keys anyway. 360 is really good with driver/registry monitoring as far as I can tell at least. I suppose Avast would be good too with probably fewer FPs as I think Qihoos BB is less directly influenced by the sig whitelisting or other whitelisting methodologies that Avast seems to have to keep FPs on the low side. With Qihoo, if certain types of programming want to influence a driver or certain areas of the registry, there will likely be an alert. I actually like this about 360, but, anyway, lots of well chronicled baggage in the program too o/c...

Reactions: bribon77 and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@shmu26 I think if you run Comodo beside an a-v with good BB, it should monitor important keys anyway. 360 is really good with driver/registry monitoring as far as I can tell at least. I suppose Avast would be good too with probably fewer FPs as I think Qihoos BB is less directly influenced by the sig whitelisting or other whitelisting methodologies that Avast seems to have to keep FPs on the low side. With Qihoo, if certain types of programming want to influence a driver or certain areas of the registry, there will likely be an alert. I actually like this about 360, but, anyway, lots of well chronicled baggage in the program too o/c...
Which version/flavor of 360 would you recommend? I think there is Total Security and Essentials?

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I would go with 360 Total Security because it is being updated. Not sure if Essentials is now being updated once again. You'll still get the sigs but Qihoo seems to make their updates count really well with unseen security boosts that don't cost alot of system resources. Comodo will handle promoutil.exe but there are a couple of others now, namely cefutil.exe and medalwall.exe. I block promoutil with all 3 elements and the other two with firewall blocks. Seems to be keeping the ads down, although I get the medal wall in admin account. I'll probably have to chop it off at the HIPS lol...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
My intel integrated graphics spawns a bat file like that at system startup, and every time it is a different name. That's that rub. It will always be autocontained, and the system tray icon for graphics won't work. Currently, that icon is the only way to access graphics settings.
Duh. All I have to do is a right click anywhere on desktop, and intel graphics is in the context menu. Duh!
Looks like intel recently disabled the tray icon by default, too. At least that's what happened on my system.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I installed Comodo IS yesterday to find the differences between comodo Hips and Eset.but I got a problem! I'm not sure if its a bug?
just added C:\Users\Sunshine-boy\AppData\Local\Yandex\YandexBrowser\Application \browser.exe to Protected Files>important files and folders.
Then removed/renamed the file but hips didn't alert or block my actions on this file?!whats wrong? shouldn't protect the file from changes?
From Comodo help:
Protected Files- Allows you to specify programs, applications, and files that are to be protected from changes

Last edited:

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
You can try yourself: add smth to that section and then try to change the format of that file or completely remove it! comodo HIPS won't bother you:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.