Battle Which filtering DNS would you choose?

Compare list
NextDNS
Control D DNS
Adguard DNS
AhaDNS

ddave

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
Honestly, NextDNS is just plain the best right now. NextDNS > Control D > AdGuard Home. If I were you I'd stick with NextDNS, and even get the paid version. It's very much worth the $20/year.
I know NextDNS is very good and maybe the best in town but, in all honesty, i don't need all the features it has.
I just need a good filtering dns and I can live fine without all the information and customization.
If the ranking is NextDNS > Control D > AdGuard Home, where AhaDNS can be placed?

Reactions: Jack and oldschool
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

NextDNS and I have recently started to block all TLDs except the most commonly used. My main browser is blocking 45% requests.
Same approach only blocking all non latin character TopLevelDomains in NextDNS and other TLD's we normally never visit with our adblocker (AdGuard on wife's laptop). Using an adblocker for other latin character Top Level Domains, still offers the option to bypass this restriction when needed.
1668780691661.png

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I know NextDNS is very good and maybe the best in town but, in all honesty, i don't need all the features it has.
I just need a good filtering dns and I can live fine without all the information and customization.
If the ranking is NextDNS > Control D > AdGuard Home, where AhaDNS can be placed?

From what I can gather, AhaDNS is a completely different animal than the others. NextDNS, ControlD, and AdGuard Home are servers, whereas AhaDNS that is something that only uses 3rd party filter lists and is designed to run though another local machine (like Pi). It's not a service. That being said, you can be secure-ish, I guess. That depends on how you set it up. But, if it were me, I'd skip it. You have little to no features with AhaDNS other than the third party lists. The same is not true with the others.

ddave

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
From what I can gather, AhaDNS is a completely different animal than the others. NextDNS, ControlD, and AdGuard Home are servers, whereas AhaDNS that is something that only uses 3rd party filter lists and is designed to run though another local machine (like Pi). It's not a service. That being said, you can be secure-ish, I guess. That depends on how you set it up. But, if it were me, I'd skip it. You have little to no features with AhaDNS other than the third party lists. The same is not true with the others.
Sorry but reading AhaDNS faq page they says:

"What is AhaDNS?
We host zero logging DNS servers with support for DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) & DNS-over-TLS (DoT). Our servers blocks ads, malware, trackers, viruses and telemetry."

Am I missing something?
You're right, they use only 3rd party filter lists.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Does that not cause too many issues, a quick look at dns query logs for my home devices quite a number of legitimate requests use tld like .io and .app
A few, but I mostly visit only bookmarked webpages, I have added about 30 exceptions, generally related to streaming.
Blocking google actually causes more issues, since it is used for captcha and other stuff, GAFAM is really everywhere.

Reactions: simmerskool

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Quad9 is very good for malware blocking but doesn't block ads and trackers.
I don't know how good is CleanBrowsing DNS but it doesn't block ads and trackers neither.
I listed them because what type of filtering was not specified for this thread, at least as far as I can see.

Reactions: ddave

eXDj

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
i cant find tutorial for Adguard Home for windows 11 (router tplink not have settings to change DNS Dinamic,i have only Tp-Link,NO-IP,Dyndns),use someone Adguard Home in windows 11 with DHCP,please tutorial
I test NextDNS,but I didn't find it working directly on the router,tutorial ?
TP-LINK Archer AX73 AX5400

Last edited:

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
i cant find tutorial for Adguard Home for windows 11 (router tplink not have settings to change DNS Dinamic,i have only Tp-Link,NO-IP,Dyndns),use someone Adguard Home in windows 11 with DHCP,please tutorial
I test NextDNS,but I didn't find it working directly on the router,tutorial ?
TP-LINK Archer AX73 AX5400
This is not for Adguard Home, but if you are trying to change the DNS on your TP-Link router to Adguard DNS Public DNS servers you could use the CleanBrowsing DNS (Free) instructions and just use the Adguard DNS Public DNS servers when you get to the step of entering the DNS addresses.

On Adguard For Windows, you go to Settings | DNS Protection to select which DNS you want to use at the operating system level, et cetera.

Or if you do not have Adguard For Windows, on Microsoft Windows itself, you can also change your DNS at the operating system level for each of your internet connections: https://www.howtogeek.com/767564/how-to-change-dns-servers-on-windows-11/.

Reactions: piquiteco

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.